MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 27 2011, 01:55 AM   #181
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

bullethead wrote: View Post
That'd be a nightmare to do, since you'd have to rotoscope every scene with the viewscreen (which is done by hand IIRC). Plus that would be a bit too far for some people (personally, I'm OK with it, I liked the extra functionality of the STXI viewscreen).
The viewscreen on set wasn't a chroma key (green screen)?
Old May 27 2011, 08:16 AM   #182
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Mr. B wrote: View Post
That'd be a nightmare to do, since you'd have to rotoscope every scene with the viewscreen (which is done by hand IIRC). Plus that would be a bit too far for some people (personally, I'm OK with it, I liked the extra functionality of the STXI viewscreen).
A version of it.
For Star Trek: The Next Generation, an ultraviolet light matting process was proposed by Don Lee of CIS and developed by Gary Hutzel and the staff of Image G. This involved a fluorescent orange backdrop which made it easier to generate a holdout matte, thus allowing the effects team to produce effects in a quarter of the time needed for other methods.
Link
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 10:44 PM   #183
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Perhaps they could digitally add a version of the nifty viewscreen from ST:FC? You know, the one that only shows something when it's activated, and otherwise shows a wall behind it. I always wondered why they abandoned that for subsequent films.
Old May 29 2011, 07:42 AM   #184
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps they could digitally add a version of the nifty viewscreen from ST:FC? You know, the one that only shows something when it's activated, and otherwise shows a wall behind it. I always wondered why they abandoned that for subsequent films.
Everyone hated it. The viewscreen always made the bridge seem bigger. Looking at a wall made it seem like there was a lack of focus.
Old May 29 2011, 07:51 AM   #185
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Season 2 continued:

21. Peak Performance: Great episode, the game FX are fine but will need to be re-rendered. As mentioned before I hate the Constellation design, I'd like to see whatever they come up with for "The Battle in CGI re-utilized here. Again the relative ship sizes were off.

Season 3:

1. Evolution. Well...the new model of the E-D is ok, but its just too diff from the other model. This is a chance to make it all consistent. As specualted the other day, some new shots of the nanites need to be remade.

2. Ensigns of Command. The very alien SHeliak need an appropriately alien design for a starship, not a kitbash.

3. The Survivors: THe Husnock ship is not one of the better designs from STNG. proportion problems are again an issue.

4. Booby Trap: Ugh I hate to lose the FX in this one, let's just hope they can copy them perfectly.

8. The Price: The shuttlecraft FX could be improved.
Old May 29 2011, 11:19 AM   #186
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Maybe they could update the view screen. It's really little more than a monitor when use. Like in BoBW when the Borg Cube is seen, it could still be shown in the center big and large, but on the top or bottom of the screen could be incoming data for Picard and Riker to see, tactical data, speed, distance, time to intercept, time untill optimum firing range, etc.

I've always felt the view screen was way underused.
If they had the original VFX plate photography of the viewer with blue or greenscreen, replacing what's on the screen would be easy, as the film footage won't have anything on the screen at all.

Technically, it's NOT "rotoscoping" if you're just finding the edges of something for a matte. That's what they used to call a "roto-matte".
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 08:36 PM   #187
Sean Aaron
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sean Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Aaron

RAMA wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Everyone hated it. The viewscreen always made the bridge seem bigger. Looking at a wall made it seem like there was a lack of focus.
Well do a transparent thingy with a window behind it like the recent film?
Sean Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 05:01 AM   #188
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Vanyel wrote: View Post
A version of it.
For Star Trek: The Next Generation, an ultraviolet light matting process was proposed by Don Lee of CIS and developed by Gary Hutzel and the staff of Image G. This involved a fluorescent orange backdrop which made it easier to generate a holdout matte, thus allowing the effects team to produce effects in a quarter of the time needed for other methods.
Link
Looks like a fairly standard blue screen in these photos:

Linky 1
Linky 2
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 05:59 AM   #189
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

The UV matting process was used for the motion control ship models, not on the sets. (As far as I know.)
Old May 30 2011, 06:11 AM   #190
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, sure, if it was going to be a visual effect. If it was just idling on a blank starscape, then you'd have to matte out the people to fill in the various graphics, since that was done practically. That'd be the majority of the shots of the screen, in all likelihood.

On a related note, I was always disappointed that you couldn't see the rear of the saucer and warp engines outside the Enterprise-E's conference room. The shape of the E-D is such that it wouldn't be omnipresent the way it should've been on the E-E, but there was still the occasional high angle where you should be able to see the hull of the ship out the window. Those would be fairly rare, so it'd help obviate the whole "really hard to do" thing that would make it wildly impractical to reimagine the viewscreen in every shot.
Old June 4 2011, 09:54 PM   #191
RAMA
Vice Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
Well, sure, if it was going to be a visual effect. If it was just idling on a blank starscape, then you'd have to matte out the people to fill in the various graphics, since that was done practically. That'd be the majority of the shots of the screen, in all likelihood.

On a related note, I was always disappointed that you couldn't see the rear of the saucer and warp engines outside the Enterprise-E's conference room. The shape of the E-D is such that it wouldn't be omnipresent the way it should've been on the E-E, but there was still the occasional high angle where you should be able to see the hull of the ship out the window. Those would be fairly rare, so it'd help obviate the whole "really hard to do" thing that would make it wildly impractical to reimagine the viewscreen in every shot.

Ah what a good idea! They could produce a standard FX shot and just place it in every conference room scene.

RAMA
Old June 13 2011, 06:22 PM   #192
Green Shirt
Commodore

CoveTom wrote: View Post

My access was denied.
Old June 13 2011, 11:36 PM   #193
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Right click -> "copy link location" (or equivalent for your browser). New tab/window, paste URL into the address bar, hit enter. Should load then.
Old June 16 2011, 04:12 AM   #194
RAMA
Vice Admiral

STNG season 3:

Best of Both Worlds I and II...the FX are iconic now, but I wouldn't mind more recognizable ship types, and fewer kitbashes in this episode. Movie era Borg ships and FX may also be desirable, but I wouldn't mind if they kept the old design. The greatest advantage of the CGI is variety and selection of shots....Season 3 and 4 STNG still was just at the expansion stage on this.
Old June 16 2011, 01:38 PM   #195
bullethead
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
STNG season 3:

Best of Both Worlds I and II...the FX are iconic now, but I wouldn't mind more recognizable ship types, and fewer kitbashes in this episode. Movie era Borg ships and FX may also be desirable, but I wouldn't mind if they kept the old design. The greatest advantage of the CGI is variety and selection of shots....Season 3 and 4 STNG still was just at the expansion stage on this.
I think plenty of the BOTW kitbashes are good enough to reuse in the show itself, such as the New Orleans, Cheyenne, and Springfield, but it would be nice to see an Excelsior, Miranda, and Ambassador in the wreckage.

Along that vein, I would love to see Vor'chas replace the giant BoPs in Yesterday's Enterprise and for that battle to be far more dynamic than it was in the original version. A more armored E-D would be good for that episode too.