Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 22 2011, 11:23 AM   #151
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I know this is even less probable than TNG-R, but, how about having Ron Jones re-score everything thatwas done after he was fired.
No, we need to target today's kids. So a couple of montages to songs of Lady Gaga would be essential.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 01:15 PM   #152
GNDN
Commodore

Cakemixo wrote: View Post
Data's Day: maybe fix/sharpen the scene at the dance studio with all that overexposed light.
Pretty certain it was filmed and exposed that way quite deliberately, in part to conceal the identity of Brent Spiner's dancing double.

Might as well go back and fix all the female close-ups in TOS while we're at it. There should rationally come a point when stylistic choices should not be deemed necessary of 'fixing' even if the style has changed over time.

Would be a great opportunity to go back and do some head replacement in "Data's Day"
Old May 22 2011, 02:31 PM   #153
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I didn't like Sela. Can't we edit her out of TNG-R?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 02:34 PM   #154
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I didn't like Sela. Can't we edit her out of TNG-R?
Good news and bad news.

The good news is that they can digitally edit her out. The bad news is that they can only replace her with either Marina Sirtis or Gates McFadden.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 04:01 PM   #155
ClayHefner
Commander

It will be interesting what they will be doing with Starfleet space stations.
TOS-R could have reused the K-7 model for The Ultimate Computer, but they didn't. So I'm sure they're gonna take some bigger liberties on TNG-R as well.

I think the movie spacedocks should go (Even in "11001001"). It was beautiful, but the idea of two differently sized versions of those things just doesn't sit right with me. At least they could make some "evolved" version of the spacedock (still retaining the beauty of the original), but I wouldn't mind something completely different- maybe even stuff like a station built into an asteroid or something.

I'm not sure about the upsized Regula in "The measure of a man". Sure DS9 uses this design as well, but in either case it was probably a matter of budget and not much else. Both were military outposts and would be better with a new, more fitting design than the old smallish Regula science station.
ClayHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 03:50 AM   #156
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
It will be interesting what they will be doing with Starfleet space stations.
TOS-R could have reused the K-7 model for The Ultimate Computer, but they didn't. So I'm sure they're gonna take some bigger liberties on TNG-R as well.

I think the movie spacedocks should go (Even in "11001001"). It was beautiful, but the idea of two differently sized versions of those things just doesn't sit right with me. At least they could make some "evolved" version of the spacedock (still retaining the beauty of the original), but I wouldn't mind something completely different- maybe even stuff like a station built into an asteroid or something.

I'm not sure about the upsized Regula in "The measure of a man". Sure DS9 uses this design as well, but in either case it was probably a matter of budget and not much else. Both were military outposts and would be better with a new, more fitting design than the old smallish Regula science station.
I like the giant mushroom station. It does have draw backs in that ships can only exit or enter single file. But, the confined protected area can be great for repairs. The station would provide plenty of cover perhaps allowing for lighter more maneuverable spacesuits. The ship can completely power down and not have to worry about solar radiation or debris. The station can be expanded and have external docking ports for ships coming in for minor repairs, refueling, crew rotations and so forth.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 02:01 PM   #157
GNDN
Commodore

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I like the giant mushroom station. It does have draw backs in that ships can only exit or enter single file. But, the confined protected area can be great for repairs.
Not so evident on the interiors, but the model itself has multiple doors. One or more could have been widened for larger vessels like the Galaxy class. Would still be a pretty tight fit inside I suppose.
Old May 23 2011, 11:43 PM   #158
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Would love to see the mushroom replaced with something the style of the Franz Joseph design (his tech manual). Always liked it.

Everytime Picard orders Worf to lock phasers, we CGI in Commander Decker leaping from one of the aft science stations slowly yelling "belaay thaaat phasser ordder."
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 02:48 AM   #159
JJohnson
Captain

Butters wrote: View Post
I want any new HD edition of Trek to be superior to the original. Every episode should be approached with a fresh story board. So long as the new interpretation of each episode is entertaining, it doesn't have to be a slave to the original, what would be the point?

When I see the new episodes, I don't want to see the same episodes I know and love, but with more detail, I want a new viewing experience. I want to be wowed again, like I was in the 80s/90s, and a scene for scene "warm thru" just won't deliver that.
When I first saw TOS-R, I was wowed and floored by the new special FX. I would enjoy that every episode of TNG...sometimes recreating the original would be called for, but no need to be slavish to the original.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 02:50 AM   #160
JJohnson
Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Total re-editing, plus camera shakes and lens flares, or what? How about doing a new music score, too, while we're at it?
I'd be happy if they just showed new ships. I never want to see the Excelsior, Miranda, Oberth, or BoP classes ever again (unless they're in the surplus depot in "Unification").
Agreed. Give us some of those ships from the Federation Ship Recognition Manual in the background, for example, or some of the variants they showed in Best of Both Worlds as destroyed ships...New Orleans class, Challenger class, etc.
Old May 24 2011, 02:50 AM   #161
JJohnson
Captain

GNDN wrote: View Post
I have no problem with Excelsiors becoming the workhorse of the fleet, but some variety is definitely called for.
I would definitely go for seeing more Enterprise B variant versions of the Excelsior running around the galaxy.
Old May 24 2011, 02:55 AM   #162
JJohnson
Captain

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
I'd like them to go all out. It made sense for TOS-R to keep it conservative most of the time and not add crazy ship maneuvers and stuff, but I'd like to think this is different.
Imagine what "Redemption, a good episode with mostly lousy FX (even some clumsy STIV reuses) could become?

The BoP's shattered to pieces by the solar eruption... the first battle redone...the Federation fleet!

I'm not too fond of the idea to replace every single Excelsior and certainly not the Oberth (I liked when Jadzia and Julian arrived on DS9 with an Oberth science vessel).
On occason I'd like to see some background Akira or an Excelsior replaced by a steamrunner, but hopefully not some new ships. There's no need for that, and in the big fleet battles of DS9 there were lots and lots of Excelsiors and Mirandas anyway, so it does make sense there's a lot of them around.

I also think season 2 will benefit a lot from new FX. They tried to have a lot of them, but they were mostly terrible.
Maybe even have a 'beauty pass' of Wolf 359 that encompasses more ships and debris to capture the magnitude of the loss. I'd go for a more expansive Redemption fight...no recycling!
Old May 24 2011, 06:31 PM   #163
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

More Robau.
Old May 24 2011, 08:08 PM   #164
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I think I recall some paintings or concept art that was done for new STNG space stations but they were not used. This is the sort of material they should be looking at to add variety to the FX instead of reusing models to save money. I don't mind seeing the mushroom once or twice though. :-)

Federation inspired concepts for DS9..

hhttp://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/ds9.html

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; May 24 2011 at 08:24 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2011, 08:18 PM   #165
Dukhat
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
I think I recall some paintings or concept art that was done for new STNG space stations but they were not used. This is the sort of material they should be looking at to add variety to the FX instead of reusing models to save money. I don't mind seeing the mushroom once or twice though. :-)

Federation inspired concepts for DS9..

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/dds9-3.gif

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/dds9-4.gif

RAMA

Your images are hotlinked.

I suppose I wouldn't have had that much of a problem with reusing movie space stations in TNG if the models had actually been reused. But they weren't. It was just stock footage of Spacedock and Regula One with the Ent-D superimposed into the shots, the former even still showing the Earth and Moon even though it was supposed to be some other planet.