RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 610
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 29 2011, 05:37 PM   #1
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile
Rain Robinson as a series regular

I searched to see if there was a thread about this but couldn't find one. If there is then please delete this, mods.

Just saw this article:

http://blastr.com/2011/04/see-who-almost-became-a-r.php

that says they VOY producers were considering bringing back the Rain Robinson character (from that time traveling 2-parter) and having her join the cast.

I kind of think it would have been interesting and would definitely made the show stand out from other Trek shows.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 07:30 PM   #2
lurok
Commodore

Re: Rain Robinson as a series regular

Hmmm...interesting. Don't really know much about Silverman except for VOY (and the Matt Damon song). Didn't think she was that great a guest star, but could have been interesting if writers knew how to write for her. But ultimately think B'Elanna was best foil for Paris (aggressive vs passive), and Seven for Doctor (lack of humour vs wittiest character in Trek). Those partnerships captured essence of drama better than I think Rain would have...
Old April 29 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I enjoyed Rain Robinson's character in "Future's End" but I think her "cuteness" factor would have worn off after a while. Plus, Sara Silverman had many other and better things planned for the future of her career. I also wouldn't wish to see her typecast due to the character on Trek either.
Old April 29 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

I thought she was nails-on-chalkboard bad on Voyager, didn't think she was that great on Larry Sanders, and haven't seen any of her other work.

In a nutshell, I'm really, really glad they didn't bring her back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 09:00 PM   #5
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I think if she did become a regular then her brand of humor would probably not be what it is today . . .
Old April 29 2011, 09:01 PM   #6
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
I thought she was nails-on-chalkboard bad on Voyager, didn't think she was that great on Larry Sanders, and haven't seen any of her other work.

Freakasaurus.
Old April 29 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
froot
Fleet Captain

I would have liked her as a series regular if they would have let her make poop jokes.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2011, 12:46 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What could she have possibly done other than clean plasma conduits or help Neelix chop vegetables? I think the she would have rapidly turned into a one gag character (out of place in the future) unless they went all the way with her and fully developed what it would be like emotionally for someone to be removed that way from their planet, time, place forever.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Markira
Commander

Yes, this, exactly. Just not a fan of Silverman's, and thought she only got the Rain character right at most 50% of the time. The rest of the time, she was cheesy in the bad way.

[avatar courtesy of belanna]
Markira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2011, 03:25 AM   #10
Markira
Commander

exodus wrote: View Post

Freakasaurus.

[avatar courtesy of belanna]
Markira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2011, 04:28 AM   #11
janeway59
Lieutenant

She was cheesy, but it worked in that episode, but she would have overstayed her welcome if she were a regular. And I have not seen her in anything else that says she really has any talent
Old May 3 2011, 05:11 PM   #12
GNDN
Commodore

When Future's End first aired, I was still watching Voy semi-regularly and was excited by the promo to see her on the show. The character was a bit underwhelming, but I could see her being developed if she were to have been whisked onboard.

She could have been used, not ad nauseum, to express some of the wonder of deep space. While encountering off-the-wall Delta Quad anomalies and such, the Voyager crew were so set on maintaining the by-the-book Starfleet approach, and utilizing their at-times esoteric treknology, that often the giddy fascination of discovery was lost.
GNDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Unimatrix Zero
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought the lady we are discussing was too twenty first century to be a regular cast member of Voyager. Although she was great in the program, she would not have fitted in with the rest of the crew.
Unimatrix Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 06:56 PM   #14
GNDN
Commodore

Unimatrix Zero wrote: View Post
I thought the lady we are discussing was too twenty first century to be a regular cast member of Voyager. Although she was great in the program, she would not have fitted in with the rest of the crew.
And that, as a television staple, would be exactly the point. Just as 7 was brought in to be a character that 'shook things up' a bit.

Many shows that have been on for years introduce a brash new 'fish out of water' type character to attract viewer interest or just to give the writers something new to play with. The trick is finding the right balance to avoid Jumping the Shark (does anyone still say that?)
GNDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 09:03 PM   #15
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

She definitely would have worked better as a recurring character instead of s regular character...just popping up every so often when the story called for it instead of trying to figure out a way to cram her into every episode.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote