Vulcan Nimoy Tribute
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Pegg Writing Kickass Role For Elba
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Galaxy Quest To Become A Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Mulgrew On Voyager Twentieth Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old May 1 2011, 09:51 PM   #16
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Ender's Game movie

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
It's closer to getting made now.
That's too bad. And here I was hoping OSC wouldn't make another dime off it, and would end up alone and penniless, dying cold and alone on a forgotten street next Tuesday. Ah well.

Beat me to it. The guy's a total creep.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Lt. Trull wrote: View Post

Well, moreso here since it's basically about training kids to fight in wars, which is something that wouldn't sit right with a lot of people.
wouldn't or shouldn't.... there are people out there that would use children.

I know, exactly. It's why I don't like the novel so much. Just felt wrong for me. Anyhow, it's why it would be difficult for the movie to be accurate to the novel as it's not going to sit well with people.
very true... in the book they don't throw at you the fact this is still a child all the time; whereas in the movie... you'd alway's be seeing that this is a little child....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 11:50 PM   #18
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
The key to a good Ender's Game movie is finding some great child actors and being able to get some great performances out of them. I'm not sure Gavin Hood can do either of those things, but I guess we'll find out.

Unfortunately I assume they are going to age-up the roles, because finding an eight year old who can play Ender, then having Ender kill another kid in cold blood would probably give film distributors nightmares.
IIRC hasn't the reason for the loooong development cycle been at least partly due to OSC's insistence that any studio/production company wanting to make the film be contractually bound to *not* cast Ender or the other kids with older actors and/or make any attempt to give Ender a (teenage) romantic interest? Has there been any indication that he's relented on that front?

Personally I'm not sure the story would work as a film as so much of the story take place in Ender's head (both figuratively and literally.) I read somewhere that the current idea is to weave both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into a single story, which is a prospect I rather like as it broadens the scope and perspective considerable. Still I think only something like a mini-series would probably give the narrative enough room to breath as it wouldn't be quite as constrained as a theatrical production. Mind you, I can't help but wonder if it's even possible to properly do the battle room sequences with anything less than a movie budget and I think it'd be even more difficult to cast Bean with a child actor than it would Ender.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I know, exactly. It's why I don't like the novel so much. Just felt wrong for me. Anyhow, it's why it would be difficult for the movie to be accurate to the novel as it's not going to sit well with people.
Well, it's not like the novel was saying that its right to train children to fight wars. If anything, it comes across as an anti-war novel.
Old May 2 2011, 12:03 AM   #20
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

well... if the producers keep with the novel and let the audience think that ender is just killing computer images; game simulations and the like. till the very end when they and ender both find out that he's been killing real entities... would that work....
The OMG moment would last just a few minutes instead of thru the whole movie....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 12:18 AM   #21
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Well, it's not like the novel was saying that its right to train children to fight wars. If anything, it comes across as an anti-war novel.

Even it doesn't, it's natural that some people are going to feel disturbed by it. I'm not arguing about the morals or what the story is trying to achieve, but it's the portrayals of what is seen on the screen that will be important for many people, hence why they'll need to be very careful with this, otherwise you could imagine the uproar surrounding the movie despite the subject nature of the movie. That's what makes it hard to adapt to the screen. You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words, well, the visual is the first thing that will stick with people. You give the visual of a kid wearing armour and using a weapon, that it's not a plaything, and you'll have people who will have very definite reactions. It's not like kids playing swords and sorcery or cowboys and indians. I just can't see the whole twist at the end sitting well with parents. I agree with Reverend. I just don't really think it can work as a movie as it would be too controversial in its imagery.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; May 2 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 12:30 AM   #22
propita
Rear Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
The key to a good Ender's Game movie is finding some great child actors and being able to get some great performances out of them. I'm not sure Gavin Hood can do either of those things, but I guess we'll find out.

Unfortunately I assume they are going to age-up the roles, because finding an eight year old who can play Ender, then having Ender kill another kid in cold blood would probably give film distributors nightmares.
Ender killed a kid (or was it two--at the school before he was taken or in the shower), yeah, but I didn’t get the idea Ender wanted the kid(s) dead. Ender just wanted to stop him/them from hurting him.

But Ender is very good at what he does and goes to the final solution to the bullying problem without conscious realization at the time of action. Which is exactly what happens with the DR Device--a final solution without conscious realization at the time of action.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 09:12 AM   #23
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think some people are overstating somewhat just how shocking the imagery is likely to be. Seeing a bunch of armed and armoured kids is hardly what I'd call shocking. For one, the "armour", or rather flashsuits would be no more militaristic than an ice hockey uniform and the "weapon" *is* a harmless light gun. The only moments of true child on child brutality and violence is the two or three times Ender is cornered by bullies. If that upsets people then it probably should, but it's not what I'd call unprecedented in literature or cinema. 'Lord of the Flies' anyone?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 06:27 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman....
We're doomed.
There'll be no escape for the princess this time.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 07:40 PM   #25
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Ender has been cast. Asa Butterfield, who stars in Martin Scorsese's Hugo (out next week!), will be taking on the role.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 08:15 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Wow, so they're actually moving along with this, huh?
Old November 20 2011, 05:23 AM   #27
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

He's older than I would like... but at least he's British. That means he's a good actor.

ETA: Though judging from the Hugo trailer, he does look younger than his age.

Last edited by Kelso; November 20 2011 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Additional wisdom to share.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 06:57 AM   #28
Caliburn24
Commodore

Ugh, way too old.

If memory serves Ender was 6 when he went to Battle School, and 9 when he assumed command of his army.

14, 15 by the time filming starts probably, is way too old and robs the story of so much emotional impact.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 08:04 AM   #29
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

If he looks young for his age, I'm cool with that. I never expected them to actually cast a six-year-old.

Wait, the Ender's Game movie is actually moving forward? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse? *runs to check Revelations*
Old November 20 2011, 10:52 AM   #30
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, if Ender's Game the film is actually moving forward, is there any hope that productions on Rendezvous with Rama, Ringworld, and Red Mars will move forward, too?

Or is that asking for too much?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote