Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 28 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Darth_Daver
Captain

Ender's Game movie

http://www.slashfilm.com/kurtzman-or...d-enders-game/

Is there any news other than this 3 month old tidbit?

I've just read Ender's Game (and Speaker for the Dead) and both of them are AMAZING (up there with Dune, Hyperion and my other favourite scifi books)...

I would love to see a movie....
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Re: Ender's Game movie

Unfortunately, we've been getting occasional tidbits of info about the upcoming Ender's Game movie since the mid 90's (and possibly earlier, but I didn't have access to the internet before then). I love the book too, but I won't get excited unless they actually start principal photography. It's been stuck in pre-production purgatory for a ridiculous length of time.
Old April 28 2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's been in development hell for more than a decade.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Deadline Hollywood just ran some news about this project. Summit Entertainment has picked up the domestic distribution rights. The producers hope to start filming early next year. Here's the full story from DH:

Summit Entertainment is acquiring U.S. rights to a live-action adaptation of the Orson Scott Card science fiction novel Ender's Game, with Gavin Hood set to direct his script. Summit, which is winding down its Twilight Saga series, is co-financing Ender's Game and eyeing it as an opportunity to hatch another youth-driven series, with protagonists that are slightly younger than the kids in the upcoming The Hunger Games trilogy. It's another opportunity to discover young talent, because the protagonists in the film are just entering their teens. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are producing through their K/O Paper Products banner, along with Odd Lot's Gigi Pritzker and Linda McDonough, the author and Lynn Hendee. Digital Domain is also an equity partner. The film will be shopped at the upcoming 2011 Cannes Film Festival, with Nick Meyer's Sierra/Affinity brokering offshore deals. The plan is to put the film into production by early next year.

Ender's Game is a seminal futuristic novel that Card originated as a short story in 1977 and then turned into a 1985 book that won both the Hugh and Nebula Awards and spawned a series. The storyline begins on Earth after an alien attack, when gifted children are recruited by a government desperate to fight back. The kids are taught a competitive game that's a cross between the Quidditch matches of Harry Potter and the Jedi light saber battles from Star Wars. Only the best and brightest will be chosen. A young boy emerges as a genius strategist, and the planet's best hope to destroy the alien Formic race.

Hood is the South African filmmaker whose 2005 film Tsotsi won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, and who last helmed X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Warner Bros acquired the novel in 2002 and tried for years to make the film with director Wolfgang Petersen. I'd heard that the author, who long resisted selling the project to film, was a very hands-on presence, and that complicated the movie transfer. The studio's option lapsed and Pritzker's Odd Lot stepped in. Odd Lot hired Hood, who has spent the past year crafting a screenplay, in between directing TV pilots like Breakout Kings. While Hood was said to have had a difficult time making Wolverine at Fox, that film posted an $85 million opening weekend and grossed $375 million worldwide in 2009.

Hood is finalizing a visual presentation that will be shown at Cannes. He is working closely with the VFX house Digital Domain, which will also be a production partner on the project. WME and Anonymous Content rep Hood. ICM reps the author.
Old April 29 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Caliburn24
Commodore

The key to a good Ender's Game movie is finding some great child actors and being able to get some great performances out of them. I'm not sure Gavin Hood can do either of those things, but I guess we'll find out.

Unfortunately I assume they are going to age-up the roles, because finding an eight year old who can play Ender, then having Ender kill another kid in cold blood would probably give film distributors nightmares.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 12:42 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

My biggest fear about an "Ender's Game" movie is that they will fuck it up. I think it will be a very difficult story to tell on screen while still remaining true to the original novel.
Old April 29 2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Summit entertainment has picked up the distribution rights and is going to co-finance the movie....
so It's closer to getting made now.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 03:48 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
It's closer to getting made now.
That's too bad. And here I was hoping OSC wouldn't make another dime off it, and would end up alone and penniless, dying cold and alone on a forgotten street next Tuesday. Ah well.
Old April 29 2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

After what Hollywood did to Starship Troopers, I sincerely dread anyone trying to adapt Ender's Game (or Haldeman's The Forever War, for that matter).
Old April 29 2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
The key to a good Ender's Game movie is finding some great child actors and being able to get some great performances out of them. I'm not sure Gavin Hood can do either of those things, but I guess we'll find out.
Gavin Hood got great performances from child actors in Tsotsi, so hopefully he'll prove he's capable of that level of work on a big budget film and that Wolverine went awry due to studio interference.
Old May 1 2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Warped9
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My biggest fear about an "Ender's Game" movie is that they will fuck it up. I think it will be a very difficult story to tell on screen while still remaining true to the original novel.
I think this is pretty much true about most any adaptation from from literature to screen.
Old May 1 2011, 02:49 PM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman....
We're doomed.
Old May 1 2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I think this is pretty much true about most any adaptation from from literature to screen.

Well, moreso here since it's basically about training kids to fight in wars, which is something that wouldn't sit right with a lot of people.
Old May 1 2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

Well, moreso here since it's basically about training kids to fight in wars, which is something that wouldn't sit right with a lot of people.
wouldn't or shouldn't.... there are people out there that would use children.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

wouldn't or shouldn't.... there are people out there that would use children.

I know, exactly. It's why I don't like the novel so much. Just felt wrong for me. Anyhow, it's why it would be difficult for the movie to be accurate to the novel as it's not going to sit well with people.