Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 14 2014, 12:27 AM   #541
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Whovian Whumor

I got very teary-eyed, seeing Tom Baker again. But then, I'm a big sap, and I also tried to stay "un-spoiled," so it was a big surprise for me.
Old July 14 2014, 03:21 AM   #542
The Wormhole
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I got very teary-eyed, seeing Tom Baker again. But then, I'm a big sap, and I also tried to stay "un-spoiled," so it was a big surprise for me.
Except in this case there were news headlines declaring "Tom Baker reveals guest appearance in the 50th." Even if I had wanted to avoid spoilers, I would have found out.
Old July 14 2014, 04:03 AM   #543
Australis
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Have I become old and jaded?
Yes.

ETA: didn't get the Baker headlines Down Under, and so remained relatively unspoiled.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 11:24 AM   #544
Redfern
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Except in this case there were news headlines declaring "Tom Baker reveals guest appearance in the 50th." Even if I had wanted to avoid spoilers, I would have found out.
Well, I guess I was "lucky", because I didn't see any of those headlines, so Tom's appearance was a genuine surprise for me. Like AuntieHill, I got rather "nostalgic" when the camera cut to Tom's face. Shoot, I openly wept! Then again, I've always worn my emotions upon my sleeves.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 01:01 AM   #545
Redfern
Commodore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6aAEiyeyc

The latest "Robot Chicken" (which aired Sunday, July 14, 2014) featured a Doctor Who parody as the "closing act". This is the third time since the animated series began DW has been referenced and by far the longest segment (roughly 2 and a half minutes). The segment "stars" the resident Robot Chicken "nerd" who drives the Doctor to distraction. I should warn you the Doctor figure is not based upon any actor who has played him and he possesses no semblance of British accent. (Given that Patrick Stewart occasionally does voice work for RC, it would have been a hoot for "Picard" to voice the character.) However, The police box model is pretty accurate and what little we can see of the console seems to be inspired by the latest design that debuted in "The Snowmen".

Sincerely,

Bill

Old July 15 2014, 01:23 AM   #546
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^

I love Robot Chicken sometimes.

"Hey, nice sound stage!"
Old July 15 2014, 10:16 PM   #547
The Wormhole
Admiral

Their Doctor kind of reminds me of Pertwee.
Old July 16 2014, 01:19 AM   #548
Redfern
Commodore

I didn't mind RC's "unique" design, though "out of context" (without a police box, Daleks, etc.) I probably would not have guessed who the figure was meant to depict. I just wished the performer had made a better attempt at some kind of British accent. Even a "mock Cockney" would have been, well, something. Like I stated above, it would have been the perfect opportunity to employ Sir Patrick's talents. Shoot, he spoofed none other than Picard only two episodes ago.

Still, I'm glad DW finally got more attention than a "quick cut" on the show.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old July 27 2014, 11:33 PM   #549
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I think their Doctor managed a passable mid-Atlantic accent. Oddly, their Doctor's head reminded me of Peter Capaldi, the timbre of the voice reminded me of Paul McGann, and the costume reminded me of a cross between Tom Baker and that purple number that Matt Smith wore during his later episodes.

Have I become old and jaded? I don't even remember the last time I got as excited over something I was watching as the ones in that video did. In the past year, the only things I got really excited over were Day of the Doctor and STID, and my excitement for either didn't match that.
I got pretty stoked by the cameos in "The Day of the Doctor" but my exterior reactions were much more subdued. On the other hand, I cannot relate to the uncontrollable weeping that some fans exhibited when Matt Smith regenerated. That's just disturbing.

There's a delicate art to Hitler videos but I think this one is one of the best at combining the gestures with the new subtitles.
Old July 30 2014, 09:01 PM   #550
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Might as well post this here instead of starting a thread:

The Doctors, listed by screen time.
Old July 30 2014, 09:22 PM   #551
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I saw that earlier and it's very impressive. I would be even more intrigued to see a Big Finish version and one with both combined.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 02:55 AM   #552
The Wormhole
Admiral

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Might as well post this here instead of starting a thread:

The Doctors, listed by screen time.
Interesting. Since it says at the top "Regular episodes only" I assume webisodes were excluded, since Paul McGann's run seems only to count the amount of time he was onscreen for in the telemovie.

How thorough is this otherwise? Do they include the multi-Doctor specials in with the returning former Doctors? What about Tennant and Smith's appearances on SJA? Is the Curator scene included in Tom Baker's count? Is Sylvester McCoy's appearance in the telemovie included? After all, Paul McGann's leaves out the length of time in the movie prior to the regeneration.
Old August 5 2014, 04:40 AM   #553
Neroon
Mod of balance

My daughter found this little bit of Whovian crossover humor today... might be mild spoilers if you haven't see "Guardians of the Galaxy" yet.....

Link to Tumblr
Old August 5 2014, 09:49 PM   #554
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Now that made me smile!
Old August 6 2014, 03:09 PM   #555
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

George Takei posted this meme on Facebook. You don't need to be a member to view it.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote