TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 13 2014, 03:00 AM   #121
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Re: The Big Bang Theory

I've always liked Bernadette, but Amy has always felt awkward (of the unintentional variety) to me. For me it feels like all of her humor is painfully forced and the energy just disappears when she enters the room.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 04:15 AM   #122
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
TayLaLaLa wrote: View Post
I like Amy & Bernadette but this show is like FRIENDS in it's last years everyone is becoming a caricature of how they started.
I started off not liking Bernadette, I thought that storyline and marriage came way too quick. I loved how Amy was a female Sheldon.

Now I feel Amy being a horny woman is lame and completely out of character, it's not growth, it's just weird. And Bernadette is fun, but not what she was like when we met her, but in this case it's good.
Amy did not start out "a horny woman". She was withdrawn. "Dating" Sheldon and making new friends (the rest of the gang) made her develop/mature into a "normal" woman. That's called character growth. And since TBBT is a comedy, it's played for fun, especially since her growth has outpaced Sheldon's stunted maturity level. If Amy had stayed as she started, there'd be something wrong with the writing.
Old March 13 2014, 09:53 AM   #123
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hanging out with the gang made her more human?

Methinks it's more likely that she is knocking back monkey drugs.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 01:09 PM   #124
Forbin
Admiral

Sheldon is suffering the Felix Unger Syndrome. As The Odd Couple progressed, the writers turned Felix into a one-note caricature. He started out as a neurotic guy, sure, but he was a mostly normal guy whose neuroses came to the surface in comedic situations. In later years of the show, they decided THAT was Felix's character, and he became a neurotic mess 24/7, a constant fussbudget and buttinsky. Every show was about how his neuroses ruined an opportunity for Oscar, or about Felix deciding he could do anything better than anyone, taking over and screwing it up. It stopped being funny because it stopped being unexpected and surprising.

That's pretty much how I feel Sheldon's character has progressed to this point. He's become a caricature of himself.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 01:17 PM   #125
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Turning Sheldon from asexuality to liking it just by constantly insisting on it would be rather ridiculous character development. You can't Stockholm syndrome away asexuality.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 01:52 PM   #126
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Having not seen much of the show, I can at least say that being asexual doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't like or want sex.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 02:10 PM   #127
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Sheldon was not necessarily asexual. He just hadn't gotten past the "girls have cooties" stage of emotional/sexual development. Having Amy in addition to the character growth of his circle of friends in that department has inched him along. Being a comedy, the train scene (wine, staring, kiss) pushed him over a hurdle and seems to have awaken him. Will he take the whole jump? Probably not. We will see him go thru emotional puberty with the Sheldon Spin on it. I know people like this and that's what happens.
Old March 13 2014, 05:13 PM   #128
tighr
Commodore

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Sheldon was not necessarily asexual. He just hadn't gotten past the "girls have cooties" stage of emotional/sexual development.
A season 2 episode has Penny asking Leonard and Howard regarding Sheldon, "What's his deal", and Leonard's response, "We've been operating under the assumption that Sheldon has no deal".
Old March 13 2014, 05:34 PM   #129
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
TayLaLaLa wrote: View Post
I like Amy & Bernadette but this show is like FRIENDS in it's last years everyone is becoming a caricature of how they started.
I started off not liking Bernadette, I thought that storyline and marriage came way too quick. I loved how Amy was a female Sheldon.

Now I feel Amy being a horny woman is lame and completely out of character, it's not growth, it's just weird. And Bernadette is fun, but not what she was like when we met her, but in this case it's good.
Amy did not start out "a horny woman". She was withdrawn. "Dating" Sheldon and making new friends (the rest of the gang) made her develop/mature into a "normal" woman. That's called character growth. And since TBBT is a comedy, it's played for fun, especially since her growth has outpaced Sheldon's stunted maturity level. If Amy had stayed as she started, there'd be something wrong with the writing.
It's an old style sitcom that has almost no character growth and the only character growth has been horrible. I rather they just write her off the show for awhile.
Old March 13 2014, 08:17 PM   #130
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Sheldon was not necessarily asexual. He just hadn't gotten past the "girls have cooties" stage of emotional/sexual development.
A season 2 episode has Penny asking Leonard and Howard regarding Sheldon, "What's his deal", and Leonard's response, "We've been operating under the assumption that Sheldon has no deal".
Yep, that was actually the basis for my comment.

But then it's also contradictory with the (official) pilot, where Leonard implies Sheldon masturbates like a semi pro. The thing is that after the pilot he is portrayed as asexual.
Old March 13 2014, 08:38 PM   #131
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

That's not contradictory, unless you're saying they implied he never masturbates after initially indicating he did it a lot.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:14 PM   #132
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

It was only indicated in the pilot (moreso in the original unaired pilot, in which he'd also had sex at least once) and after that Sheldon was characterized as finding the entire concept of sexuality unpleasant and distasteful. It wasn't because he thought girls had "cooties."
Old March 13 2014, 09:23 PM   #133
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

More importantly, characters and shows develop and change from the original conception, portrayal and development as long-running series go on. The writers may have initially set out having Sheldon be that character, but eventually settled on the character we now know. It's not a matter of intentional inconsistency as opposed to long-term development. Clouding matters, certainly is the unaired pilot, because it reveals what the original intentions by the creators originally were, but there's a reason that pilot remains "unaired" -- that's not the episode which the studio/network wanted to launch the show with or base their new series around. So in my view, it becomes somewhat "inadmissable in court" so to speak.

Angel started out during it's first season and a half with the characters driven in a certain direction and then in the middle of season two, (in an episode aptly titled "Redefinition") re-sets the characters on their journeys for the rest of the series.

That's just one example. But it does happen. Another example: Ray Krebbs was the ranch foreman on Dallas when it first aired back in 1977. He was having a torrid love affair with teenager Lucy Ewing, the peaches & cream niece of J.R. Ewing. It was saucy and scandalous at the time. Years later on the show, it's revealed that Ray was actually the illegitimate son of Jock Ewing (J.R., Gary and Bobby's father) and thus Lucy's half-uncle. Guess what never, ever got referenced again? That's right -- Ray's affair with Lucy.

Bringing it back to Star Trek: Geordi La Forge started out as the ship's pilot because Roddenberry loved the idea of a blind man piloting this gigantic starship. That La Forge became Chief Engineer was just as much to give Burton more to do on the show as anything else and it had an obvious impact on how La Forge was written and portrayed for the entirety of his appearances thereafter.

The point is: Expecting things to be static and consistent from day one all the way to the very last day of shooting on a series finale 10 years later is completely unrealistic, belies a lack of understanding regarding how television works (practically and intellectually) and frankly is rather foolish.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 14 2014 at 01:23 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:49 PM   #134
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Clouding matters, certainly is the unaired pilot, because it reveals what the original intentions by the creators originally were, but there's a reason that pilot remains "unaired" -- that's not the episode which the studio/network wanted to launch the show with or base their new series around. So in my view, it becomes somewhat "inadmissable in court" so to speak.
I certainly agree with that. I only mentioned it because the aired pilot's reference to Sheldon masturbating seemed more like a holdover from the unaired one, given that it was never mentioned again and Sheldon's characterization became very different starting immediately with the show's second episode.

I'm glad they decided not to run with the unaired pilot. That one was...not so good.
Old March 13 2014, 09:56 PM   #135
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
That's not contradictory, unless you're saying they implied he never masturbates after initially indicating he did it a lot.

Yes, it is actually stated that he finds sexuality distasteful, body contact unpleasant, and that he has no sexual desire.

And guys, the semi pro masturbation comment is in the aired pilot, I don't mean the unaired pilot.