Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 21 2011, 03:42 AM   #46
Forbin
Admiral

Re: The Big Bang Theory

They may be friends, but they're definitely not the "bros before hos" type of friends. They're horny nerds praying for a girl to not reject them.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 06:59 AM   #47
sojourner
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
I laughed VERY loudly at the LCARS Okudagram on Sheldon's laptop.

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
At first I thought there was a continuity hour to him saying he's never kissed a girl...
Surely it was only a continuity minute. The show's not that long.
If you want to get picky, it was a 24th century LCARS display on the screen, but Kirk's destruct codes
Yeah, they never get the details right on the geek moments, always makes everything feel less than sincere as far as "geek cred" goes on the show. The writers are obviously not really in tune with what they are writing.
Old May 21 2011, 08:18 AM   #48
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
I laughed VERY loudly at the LCARS Okudagram on Sheldon's laptop.

Surely it was only a continuity minute. The show's not that long.
If you want to get picky, it was a 24th century LCARS display on the screen, but Kirk's destruct codes
Yeah, they never get the details right on the geek moments, always makes everything feel less than sincere as far as "geek cred" goes on the show. The writers are obviously not really in tune with what they are writing.
Or the art department wanted a more striking visual.
Old May 21 2011, 09:34 AM   #49
sojourner
Admiral

^Then they could have used one of the TNG destruct sequences to go with it?
Old May 21 2011, 01:39 PM   #50
chrisspringob
Commodore

Canadave wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting.
Hmmm.....It depends on what part of the culture you're talking about. I can see where you're coming from with regard to the sci-fi references. But, speaking as someone who spent six years in grad school for an astronomy degree, I think many of the physics/academia jokes that were sprinkled into the earlier seasons of the show (mostly Season 1) are quite smart.

Unfortunately, they've moved away from that in the later seasons. The show is still funny, but the jokes are less smart. The humor has definitely gone in a more "mainstream" direction.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 02:07 PM   #51
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

And it's unavoidable. As soon as the production company and the network financing it realize they've got a hit show they'll try and maximize its profit potential.

As soon as BBT broke out as a hit show the "fringe" element of scientific jokes which many "nerds" watching the show understood (at least superficially) they are, arrogant as it sounds, too much for a mainstream show. 14 year old Valley Girl probably never heard of String Theory or anything physics related and would just hope they'd cut that science crap out and focus on some funny stuff and because there's a shitload of Valley Girls and other types and they outnumber the nerd population by a huge margin the focus of the show gets changed.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 03:33 PM   #52
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Then they could have used one of the TNG destruct sequences to go with it?
Kirk's name is more iconic.
Old May 21 2011, 04:04 PM   #53
Scout101
Admiral

Definitely. Of course, that's like trying to tell a historical tale about Hannibal's march, but having them ride T-Rex instead of elephants because they're more memorable
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 07:21 AM   #54
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
many of the physics/academia jokes that were sprinkled into the earlier seasons of the show (mostly Season 1) are quite smart.

Unfortunately, they've moved away from that in the later seasons. The show is still funny, but the jokes are less smart. The humor has definitely gone in a more "mainstream" direction.
So very true! I can't stand what they've done to the show. The first couple of seasons were awesome. Now it's just 'watch the nerds try to navigate a complex social space'. Not interesting and not funny.
Old December 27 2012, 02:54 AM   #55
SiddFinch1
Captain

Just recently started.to watch the show on rerun
Is it sad that when i saw the.time machine episode.recently I noticed.they got the year kirk stole the romulan cloaking device wrong...Sheldon. said it was 2328. Clearly wrong yet no one corrects.to 2267 or68 etc. I assume others picked up .when.first ran but cant find the threads
Old December 30 2012, 05:35 AM   #56
Velocity
Rear Admiral

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
Is it sad that when i saw the.time machine episode.recently I noticed.they got the year kirk stole the romulan cloaking device wrong...Sheldon. said it was 2328. Clearly wrong yet no one corrects.to 2267 or68 etc. I assume others picked up .when.first ran but cant find the threads
Damn, you should be on the show!
Old December 30 2012, 12:41 PM   #57
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Velocity wrote: View Post
Except Sheldon would meticulously care for proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Reacting to this post would include several pages of dictionary proof and then even more on the topic itself
Old December 31 2012, 12:59 AM   #58
SiddFinch1
Captain

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Velocity wrote: View Post
Except Sheldon would meticulously care for proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Reacting to this post would include several pages of dictionary proof and then even more on the topic itself
Autocorrect on a kindle leads to many errors
Old December 31 2012, 08:49 AM   #59
Immolatus
Captain

They may be friends, but they're definitely not the "bros before hos" type of friends. They're horny nerds praying for a girl to not reject them.

not for nothing but these guys have gotten to sleep with some pretty decent women. even Raj (or at least he made out with one)
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 11:55 AM   #60
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Just saw the unaired pilot and damn that was different.

You could see elements that would make it into the final show pilot (such as Sheldon explaining why their dinner table in the restaurant was their place in exactly the same style as he would claim his spot on the couch) but others have been completely dropped such as supporting character Gilda, a female fellow researcher with a kind of overexcited bearing (much like Amy a few seasons later) who has a crush on Leonard.

Some character traits have also been dropped such as Sheldon being able to get aroused by looking at large women's buttocks (he and Leonard donate sperm to get cash for dinner) or having slept with Gilda at a previous time on a convention.

Penny was also not in this pilot but rather a totally different character called Katie (played by a different actress too) and i must say i prefer Penny much more than this character (a run of the mill attractive girl with issues).

It's interesting to see this and how a show can evolve.. maybe i'm looking at it with a biased mind but i dare say the show wouldn't have gotten off the air with that pilot. It was a run of the mill comedy and the elements didn't quite work together so i'm happy it turned out like it did and we are into 6th season with no end in sight.