RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,827
Posts: 5,326,917
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 495
Newest member: Mycroft

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 27 2011, 08:10 PM   #16
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Even if it's slowly running out of steam (Sackhoff & Takei felt a geek-too-far/shark moment), it's still a damn sight funnier than 99% of British sitcoms...
Bull. I'll stand any season of Blackadder or Red Dwarf up against this tripe and have absolutely no fear that the britcom will get the most laughs.
Having seen neither (apart from clips of Blackadder which everyone says is brilliant but all seems to consist of is: darling/cunning plan/the jokiest joke in all of jokedom) will have to take your word Maybe they're both in that 1%?

OK, I'll change hyperbole to: it's a damn sight funnier than the British sitcoms I have seen, of which there are some but not all.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Even if it's slowly running out of steam (Sackhoff & Takei felt a geek-too-far/shark moment), it's still a damn sight funnier than 99% of British sitcoms...
Bull. I'll stand any season of Blackadder or Red Dwarf up against this tripe and have absolutely no fear that the britcom will get the most laughs.
I tend to prefer the style of Britcoms to most American sitcoms, myself.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 01:01 PM   #18
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral
 
trekkiebaggio's Avatar
 
Location: Dancing to the Jailhouse Rock
View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: The Big Bang Theory

I enjoy TBBT. I'm glad they added the girls to the show, gives it an extra dimension.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Canadave wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Even if it's slowly running out of steam (Sackhoff & Takei felt a geek-too-far/shark moment), it's still a damn sight funnier than 99% of British sitcoms...
Bull. I'll stand any season of Blackadder or Red Dwarf up against this tripe and have absolutely no fear that the britcom will get the most laughs.
I tend to prefer the style of Britcoms to most American sitcoms, myself.
I like both. I must be special.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 02:33 PM   #20
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Canadave wrote: View Post
I could never get into it, myself. The geek humour always felt too forced to me, and lacks the natural flow that it had in something like Spaced. It's all right for what it is, I guess, but I've never really understood why it's so beloved.
This. The show bugs me because it reeks of the regular hacks that work for Chuck Lorre cribbing from a geek culture they know nothing about. They mention all the touchstones but the humor is in no way clever. In fact, their favorite joke is endless variations on "Man, aren't nerds weird?!?!" Just hacky shit all around, IMO.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 05:19 PM   #21
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: The Big Bang Theory

^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting. My girlfriend was watching an episode a while back, where there was a joke about two characters arguing whether they should watch Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5. Eventually, they decided on Blake's 7 as a compromise, because it's between the two, obviously. But when I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that whoever wrote that joke had no idea what any of those shows are about, and just went "Ha! All these shows have names that end in numbers and are nerdy! This is gold!"

Then, of course, I compare to something like this (context: they've upset a friend badly, and she's run off):

__________________
My blog!

Last edited by Canadave; April 28 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 05:26 PM   #22
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Big Bang Theory

It rings true to this geek. My sister and her husband recommended I watch because the characters reminded them of me and my friends. Wasnt sure what to make of that (Since my sister now lives halfway across the country her memories of me and my friends are mostly from when we were in high school and college) but I decided to watch anyway. And dammmit, they were right. Yes there is some comedic exaggeration but I do recognize pieces of myself in Leonard, Raj, Howard and god help me Sheldon. My oldest friend who has a closet full of Star Trek uniforms and onced owned a comic shop doesnt like it though. Too close to home I guess.

I dont think getting the references "right" is as important as getting the attitudes right.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 07:13 PM   #23
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Canadave wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting. My girlfriend was watching an episode a while back, where there was a joke about two characters arguing whether they should watch Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5. Eventually, they decided on Blake's 7 as a compromise, because it's between the two, obviously. But when I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that whoever wrote that joke had [i]no[/] idea what any of those shows are about, and just went "Ha! All these shows have names that end in numbers and are nerdy! This is gold!"
I recall an argument between the characters about whether "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" had better visual effects than "The Motion Picture" that just made me
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 07:24 PM   #24
backstept
Rear Admiral
 
backstept's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse
View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: The Big Bang Theory

The Motion Picture obviously has the better effects.
__________________
| Hi I'm Gauis Blatar lol
| backstept.blogspot.com | about.me
backstept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 07:46 PM   #25
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting. My girlfriend was watching an episode a while back, where there was a joke about two characters arguing whether they should watch Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5. Eventually, they decided on Blake's 7 as a compromise, because it's between the two, obviously. But when I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that whoever wrote that joke had [i]no[/] idea what any of those shows are about, and just went "Ha! All these shows have names that end in numbers and are nerdy! This is gold!"
I recall an argument between the characters about whether "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" had better visual effects than "The Motion Picture" that just made me
Given the debates I've read and taken part in on the board, it doesn't strike me as improbable.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 08:00 PM   #26
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting. My girlfriend was watching an episode a while back, where there was a joke about two characters arguing whether they should watch Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5. Eventually, they decided on Blake's 7 as a compromise, because it's between the two, obviously. But when I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that whoever wrote that joke had [i]no[/] idea what any of those shows are about, and just went "Ha! All these shows have names that end in numbers and are nerdy! This is gold!"
I recall an argument between the characters about whether "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" had better visual effects than "The Motion Picture" that just made me
Given the debates I've read and taken part in on the board, it doesn't strike me as improbable.
Except in the actual episode, it was total nonsense. The whole scene felt like it was written by someone who had seen neither movie, and based the entire argument on the belief that the newer movie must have better effects simply because it's newer.

The argument would have no change in substance if the titles of the movie had been swapped out with any other two movies.
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 08:10 PM   #27
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post

I recall an argument between the characters about whether "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" had better visual effects than "The Motion Picture" that just made me
Given the debates I've read and taken part in on the board, it doesn't strike me as improbable.
Except in the actual episode, it was total nonsense. The whole scene felt like it was written by someone who had seen neither movie, and based the entire argument on the belief that the newer movie must have better effects simply because it's newer.

The argument would have no change in substance if the titles of the movie had been swapped out with any other two movies.
Same can be said for most arguments here. The names change but the arguments remain the same.

Somewhere on this board there is a member or even two, who might agree that STV's FX were better, Hell they might even think that STV is the better movie!!!!!
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 08:20 PM   #28
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Storybrooke
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Given the debates I've read and taken part in on the board, it doesn't strike me as improbable.
Except in the actual episode, it was total nonsense. The whole scene felt like it was written by someone who had seen neither movie, and based the entire argument on the belief that the newer movie must have better effects simply because it's newer.

The argument would have no change in substance if the titles of the movie had been swapped out with any other two movies.
Same can be said for most arguments here. The names change but the arguments remain the same.

Somewhere on this board there is a member or even two, who might agree that STV's FX were better, Hell they might even think that STV is the better movie!!!!!
And exactly which planet would those people be logging on from?
__________________
"Let's hope to hell you didn't bring anything else back with you!"

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2011, 08:28 PM   #29
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Brikar99 wrote: View Post

Except in the actual episode, it was total nonsense. The whole scene felt like it was written by someone who had seen neither movie, and based the entire argument on the belief that the newer movie must have better effects simply because it's newer.

The argument would have no change in substance if the titles of the movie had been swapped out with any other two movies.
Same can be said for most arguments here. The names change but the arguments remain the same.

Somewhere on this board there is a member or even two, who might agree that STV's FX were better, Hell they might even think that STV is the better movie!!!!!
And exactly which planet would those people be logging on from?
Earth. We have a wide and diverse culture here. And for some reason different tastes. Weird, I know.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 04:16 AM   #30
KirkPicard
Captain
 
KirkPicard's Avatar
 
Location: Phila. PA
Re: The Big Bang Theory

Excellent endgame by Sheldon, based upon a similar tactic by Capt. Kirk in a certain 3rd season episode ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield")
__________________
GARTH: Mister Spock, do you consider Captain Kirk and yourself brothers?
SPOCK: Captain Kirk speaks somewhat figuratively and with undue emotion. However, what he says is logical and I do, in fact, agree with it.
KirkPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.