Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 15 2013, 01:34 AM   #1456
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Okay I have to post my paparazzi moment somewhere..

Natalia Tena at Supanova Melbourne YAY!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 04:49 AM   #1457
JD
Admiral

Does she wear a wig for the show?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 09:20 AM   #1458
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Ugh, I hate that people that have read the books are going around posting in non-spoiler threads pretended to be non-readers. I really enjoyed the last episode and the season is definitely getting better. They've added some great bits that weren't in the books.
Old April 15 2013, 02:07 PM   #1459
FreezeC77
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
They're taking the Theon/Ramsay story from Book 2 (which they didn't have time to adapt) and doing a variation of it in this season to given him and Ramsay something to do. Just as in book 2, Ramsay is pretending to be someone else to get close to Theon.
Seems odd to see Simon from Misfits playing a guy who turns into such a BASTARD (no pun lol).

Especially considering the stuff that plays out when he marries the fake Arya. But that's probably years down the line.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 03:05 PM   #1460
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
They're taking the Theon/Ramsay story from Book 2 (which they didn't have time to adapt) and doing a variation of it in this season to given him and Ramsay something to do. Just as in book 2, Ramsay is pretending to be someone else to get close to Theon.
Seems odd to see Simon from Misfits playing a guy who turns into such a BASTARD (no pun lol).
I dunno, he always seemed a better actor to me when was the more-than-slightly creepy stalker of late S1/early S2 of Misfits where he talked to dead girls in freezers than the I've-got-a-Destiny-to-fulfill superhero of later. Not that he didn't do that stuff well, but I have no problem seeing him as an absolute monster.
Old April 15 2013, 03:35 PM   #1461
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Let the Ramsay Snow mind games begin. I got chills when he was called "little bastard" right before that arrow thrummed. I never particularly liked Theon in the books, but what Ramsay does to him and others is revolting.

For me, Ramsay is a character that is so beyond the pale that Martin cannot kill him horribly enough. Poor Jeyne Poole's plight (that sounds too sanitized a word) turned my stomach.

The scenes between Jaime and Brienne were marvelously played.

I found the scene in the council chamber to be hilarous, but was not very amused by the Pod scenes. I feel like Bronn is being shown just to keep Jerome Flynn around.

The scenes between Dany, Missendei and the slavers were suitably funny and distressing. They are doing a good job of setting up the Mormont vs. Selmy rivalry.

I keep feeling like the scenes North of the Wall are getting a short shrift. Perhaps that is because I found that storyline the most compelling in the books?

The Blackfish is perfectly cast, and I love the Brotherhood.
Old April 15 2013, 03:38 PM   #1462
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Did Theon not escape with Jayne?

I always wondered why everyone says Joff is the nastiest little shit in GoT when Ramsay is clearly worse.
Old April 15 2013, 05:36 PM   #1463
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Did Theon not escape with Jayne?
He does, but that's way later from where the show is now.

I always wondered why everyone says Joff is the nastiest little shit in GoT when Ramsay is clearly worse.
Well, timing mostly.

Joffrey appears right out of the gate and shortly after, we see what a little prick he is. He murderers the lead POV character, abuses another POV character, and continues to act like an incredibly entitled shit doing vicious things. He's easy and visible right from the start as the guy you can 100% hate and throw your darts at in this world of moral ambiguity.

Ramsay is much more of a long game. He first appeared in A Clash of Kings, but he's mostly Reek until the end. He didn't get introduced as the most sadistic motherfucker in Westeros until 2011 and most of his terrible things come to a POV character that we last saw murdering children. It's a real testament to his viciousness then that almost everyone actually gained sympathy for Theon, despite his past actions, just because of how bad Ramsay was. If he had been in AGoT and done this to a Stark? He'd be more hated than Joffrey.

BTW did anyone else appreciate the nod in the ep to the "Meereenese Knot" that gave GRRM so much trouble pre-ADwD?
Old April 15 2013, 06:29 PM   #1464
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

They seem to be really toning down the Theon torture scenes. I gather that much of this is happening as a build up to the main "Reek" on-page material, but so far, there hasn't been any flaying, removal of appendages or other nasty psy-ops stuff that Ramsay was infamous for. I told my wife that the audience will soon start to take some element of pity on him, and based on what she's seen so far, her response has generally been *shrug* "Meh...he deserves it". From the non-book POV, I agree - the punishment has not yet exceeded the crime. I really hope they don't puss out on this one.
Old April 15 2013, 06:41 PM   #1465
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I never felt sorry for Theon. After he killed and flayed those children I thought "fuck him, I hope he gets his". And so he did. Of course now we all want Ramsay to get worse, which probably means someone will shoot him the the eye with an arrow and that will be all she wrote.
Old April 15 2013, 06:47 PM   #1466
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
They seem to be really toning down the Theon torture scenes. I gather that much of this is happening as a build up to the main "Reek" on-page material, but so far, there hasn't been any flaying, removal of appendages or other nasty psy-ops stuff that Ramsay was infamous for. I told my wife that the audience will soon start to take some element of pity on him, and based on what she's seen so far, her response has generally been *shrug* "Meh...he deserves it". From the non-book POV, I agree - the punishment has not yet exceeded the crime. I really hope they don't puss out on this one.
The way I see it, Theon has at least 3 seasons of torture with Ramsay before he escapes. I'm sure they'll get to the more gruesome aspects of his torture in time.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 07:36 PM   #1467
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I like the way they are playing it in the show. They are showing Ramsay the way that Theon first got to know him - helpful little Toady. Then, Ramsay becomes Theon's worst nightmare.

What Ramsay did to Jayne and those other women he hunts really disgusted me. Poor Jayne was already bearing the marks from being beaten in Littlefinger's brothels. Then she is bitten by Ramsay (all over her body it seems), forced to have sex with dogs and who knows what else.

Ramsay for me is by far the most revolting character, except for maybe Qyburn. I hate them both, and I hate Roose and Cersei for allowing Ramsay and Qyburn their activities.
Old April 16 2013, 06:21 AM   #1468
Skywalker
Admiral

So, does anyone know why Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions/Bloody Mummers have been replaced with Locke and his fellow Bolton bannermen? Was it so that non-readers wouldn't confuse the Brave Companions with the Brotherhood Without Banners, or to play up the darker aspects of the Boltons leading up to the Red Wedding? Or maybe both?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:25 PM   #1469
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I imagine that an over-the-top type like Hoat was simply too much for the producers, who prefer to water down some of the more eccentric, exaggerated, or downright crazy characters for fear they won't translate well. Rather than present a bland version of Hoat, they must have decided to replace him, and like you say this allows them to emphasize the Boltons more.
Old April 16 2013, 03:30 PM   #1470
Lonemagpie
Writer

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So, does anyone know why Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions/Bloody Mummers have been replaced with Locke and his fellow Bolton bannermen? Was it so that non-readers wouldn't confuse the Brave Companions with the Brotherhood Without Banners, or to play up the darker aspects of the Boltons leading up to the Red Wedding? Or maybe both?

Clearly both - We've seen them change names before, and they'll be wanting to make sure that the audience are conditioned to feel - even if not quite consciously - that the Boltons are this season's bads.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote