Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2013, 05:38 AM   #1351
Dream
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm quite fond of Stannis' casting, too. I thought he worked well in season two but in general the casting has been excellent. The only character that hasn't been working for me is Jon Snow, a character I liked a lot more in the books.
I'm don't like the Jon Snow actor at ALL! He is the only weak actor in the cast for me.

But they cast Tryion, Twyin, Jaime, Ayra, and Ned perfectly. I'm fine with one miscast character.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:45 AM   #1352
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

At a convention yesterday, Martin read two new Barristan Selmy chapters from The Winds of Winter, the second of which describes the battle for Meereen toward which the previously-read Tyrion and Victarion chapters were leading. Detailed descriptions from someone who as at the reading are here.
Old February 18 2013, 07:59 PM   #1353
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Thanks for the link. I will have to give it a read.
Old February 18 2013, 10:52 PM   #1354
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Indeed, thanks for the link, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to book 6... has there been any estimations of when it will come out or is GRRM sticking to his guns of not estimating the date because he missed it so badly last time?
Old February 19 2013, 03:30 AM   #1355
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

All he's said is that it definitely won't be this year, but next year is still a possibility. (I don't think it's a likely one-- mid-2015 is my personal optimistic estimate-- but you never know.) As of July 2012, he had 200 manuscript pages of complete chapters and another 200 of fragments and rough drafts, out of a planned 1500 or so manuscript pages for the full book. Some of those 200 pages were chapters originally written for A Dance with Dragons but left out due to length, so unless things have picked up since July he's still progressing pretty slowly.

On another note, the Blu-ray and DVD of season two of the TV show comes out tomorrow in the US. Amazon.com has the Blu-ray for $30 and the DVD for $25. I think the prices are the same at Target, which also has an exclusive bonus disc with a 20-minute George R. R. Martin interview.
Old February 19 2013, 03:24 PM   #1356
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I have now re-read the entire series (I virtually never read books twice). It's going to be a long wait for The Winds of Winter.
Old February 19 2013, 03:53 PM   #1357
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

At the rate GRRM is going lets hope he stays alive long enough to finish this thing.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:35 PM   #1358
superdeluxe
Captain

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/21/ga...-kimmels-show/

HBO is partnering with ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live to debut its eagerly anticipated Game of Thrones trailer.
The first full third season trailer will make its debut on the talk show Friday night. “I am so excited about this trailer, even I might watch my show,” Kimmel said in a statement.
The trailer will then be posted on the Game of Thrones YouTube channel (and, of course, here on EW too). The Thrones trailer that’s running on Kimmel’s show will be 60 seconds. Thrones returns to HBO on March 31.
YES

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 06:52 AM   #1359
JD
Admiral

The full trailer is online now.
Old February 23 2013, 10:07 PM   #1360
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The dragon flying next to the ship was beautiful and just screamed "A Song of Ice and Fire."
Old February 24 2013, 01:42 AM   #1361
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Agreed!

Season starts the day after my birthday, so it's a nice present for me from HBO.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 02:24 AM   #1362
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
All he's said is that it definitely won't be this year, but next year is still a possibility. (I don't think it's a likely one-- mid-2015 is my personal optimistic estimate-- but you never know.) As of July 2012, he had 200 manuscript pages of complete chapters and another 200 of fragments and rough drafts, out of a planned 1500 or so manuscript pages for the full book. Some of those 200 pages were chapters originally written for A Dance with Dragons but left out due to length, so unless things have picked up since July he's still progressing pretty slowly.
Thanks, figured as much.

I certainly hope we can avoid both of the two tragic endings I can foresee for this saga.

1) GRRM dies before he finishes writing it.
2) HBO cancels the show before the adaptation is finished.
Old February 24 2013, 06:48 AM   #1363
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

George is in perfectly decent health for his age and a heck of a nice guy, the fact that his death comes up every other post around here and all around the internet as if everyone expects it any day now is pretty goddamn douchetastic.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 06:36 PM   #1364
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Venardhi wrote: View Post
George is in perfectly decent health for his age and a heck of a nice guy, the fact that his death comes up every other post around here and all around the internet as if everyone expects it any day now is pretty goddamn douchetastic.
I agree. I've never worried about him dying or something. That's absurd. I also don't like the assumption that if he died the worst part about it would be the fact that the series won't be finished as opposed to how sad it would be that a person, y'know, died.
Old February 24 2013, 07:45 PM   #1365
JD
Admiral

And if he did die how do know he wouldn't pick someone else to finish the series. Just look at Wheel of Time, Brandon Sanderson took over and his books got better reviews than some of Robert Jordan's. Then we have Terry Pratchett already announcing that his daughter will take over Discworld when he can't write anymore.