Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 21 2013, 07:57 PM   #1306
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Klaus wrote: View Post
^cue geeks kidnapping the producers and torturing them for the info...
Would make a great Big Bang Theory episode.
Old January 21 2013, 08:07 PM   #1307
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
The producers know how the story will end, George R.R. Martin told them, if Martin writes too slow the show will simply overtake the novels.
They know some major aspects of the ending, yes, but I doubt they know enough to put together a decent TV version of the rest of the story, and I'm not at all sure they'd want to. Especially since, as was discussed the last time this came up, there are other options.
Old January 21 2013, 08:15 PM   #1308
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Given what they've come up with as far as original content for the show thus far (Daenerys and Robb's stories last season, for example).

. . . they probably shouldn't.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 08:18 PM   #1309
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Oh, I dunno. Tywin's interactions with Arya At Harrenhal were complete fabrications unique to the TV version and they were exceptionally well done, I thought.
Old January 21 2013, 08:29 PM   #1310
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I knew someone would chime in with that. While they were very well done, they didn't add much (if anything) to the plot or even to Arya's own story.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 08:35 PM   #1311
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
They know some major aspects of the ending, yes, but I doubt they know enough to put together a decent TV version of the rest of the story, and I'm not at all sure they'd want to. Especially since, as was discussed the last time this came up, there are other options.
Screw other options, Martin wouldn't have told them things if he wasn't okay with them using the informaton. They don't have to know every detail, as long as they know what happens to the major characters and plotlines it's not hard to figure out a way to get them there. They are changing parts of the story anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2013, 08:51 PM   #1312
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Martin wouldn't have told them things if he wasn't okay with them using the informaton.
I doubt he seriously considered the possibility one way or the other. He was giving them information to help with long-term planning, not a way to replace him.
They don't have to know every detail, as long as they know what happens to the major characters and plotlines it's not hard to figure out a way to get them there. They are changing parts of the story anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference.
I think you're overestimating what they know, and underestimating the complexity of the narrative. Sure, they could slap something together, but would it be satisfying as a resolution? If it comes down to "make something up or you're canceled," they might take a stab anyway. But I don't think that's going to happen.

The Arya/Tywin scenes are superficially well-crafted and amusing, but repetitive, and they undermine or displace the themes those characters are meant to reflect. Benioff and Weiss seem to think that Martin's less pleasant characters (Tywin, Cersei) need to be made "ambiguous" or "nuanced" by giving them heartwarming parental moments to balance out the nastiness; I don't find it at all convincing.
Old January 22 2013, 06:26 AM   #1313
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Why not? The series does it's best to give us characters we assume are just bad (Jaime) and then have it turn out to not be so. What's wrong with doing the same to Tywin and Cersei?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 09:02 AM   #1314
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Because they're sociopaths?

Actually this last conversation has put me right off seing the TV version.
Old January 22 2013, 11:37 AM   #1315
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Tywin and Cersei loving people is straight out of the books, Tywin loved his wife, Cersei loves her children, it's not out of character to show them having nice moments with certain people. It's more interesting than Tywin just being a bastard and Cersei a raging, stupid bitch. The only true Lannister sociopath is Joffrey and the show is doing a great job portraying him.

And Deckerd, if you haven't seen the show, watch it now! It's not perfect (neither are the novels btw) but it's a great adaptation. Don't let a few people on a message board talking about stuff stop you from experiencing it, even if you don't like it, you should find out for yourself
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 12:05 PM   #1316
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Tywin loved only one person, long dead. Everyone else he loathed. Cersei loved nobody but herself. Her son was evidence of this since he was completely psychotic. The other one managed to escape by being too young for her to damage too much.
Old January 22 2013, 03:48 PM   #1317
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Tywin loved Joanna, true. I also think he cared for Kevan.

I think he saw his children as his legacy and tried tirelessly to mold them into what he saw as best for the Lannister family. They were there to carry on what he had started, and he was most dismayed when they acted on their own.

I think he loved Jaime but was flabbergasted by what he saw as his son throwing away all that he had worked to give him.

Cersei was a girl and therefore did not really make a blip on her father's radar other than as a potential pawn.

He obviously loathed Tyrion for his form and "killing" Joanna.

I think the show did a good job of showing who Tywin is in those scenes with Arya. (I waffle on whether or not Arya as a character suffers as a result. She loses some of the "kill" scenes, and I am inclined to think that a good thing. Martin made her almost too bloody.)

Cersei for all her flaws did love her children, but her love blinded her and made her a terrible mother.

She never allowed herself to see what Joffrey was and then cannonized him on his death. She then used Joffrey's death to berate poor Tommen for not being like his brother. She thought of Joffrey was strong when he was really snivelling and deranged.

Kevan and even Jaime eventually had the same thought. Tommen would be better off removed from his mother's influence. Tommen is sensible and not unkind. He could be molded into a good leader.

Cersei learned few things from Tywin, but she learned only his hardest lessons. She saw how his cruelty won him certain things but never learned that too much cruelty and sheer spite can be as damaging as being too soft.

Even without the ear (Thank you Dark Star), Myrcella is far better off in Dorne.

In the show they have taken one of her earliest and most heinous offenses (Robert's illegimate childrens' deaths) and tacked it on to Joffrey. I don't blame them much for that, but Cersei's descent into madness is compelling in the books.

At least I thought she was going mad. I gave her much more credit for cunning and game playing before Martin let us in her head. Then she became this paranoid small creature. I am still not sure how I feel about that.
Old January 22 2013, 03:57 PM   #1318
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

She's not mad in the books. Nowhere near. She's just completely self-obsessed. Everyone else is suborned to her desire to have everything she wants. She wouldn't recognise love if it whacked her on the back of the head with a heavy plank. Her judgement and political acumen are non-existent so every decision she makes is a train wreck. Her lack of empathy with any other human (including Jaime) borders on autism. She's my second favourite character in all the books.
Old January 22 2013, 04:09 PM   #1319
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
She's not mad in the books. Nowhere near. She's just completely self-obsessed. Everyone else is suborned to her desire to have everything she wants. She wouldn't recognise love if it whacked her on the back of the head with a heavy plank. Her judgement and political acumen are non-existent so every decision she makes is a train wreck. Her lack of empathy with any other human (including Jaime) borders on autism. She's my second favourite character in all the books.
Do you think the whole Magi the Frog thing is not driving her a bit bonkers? I thought she was loosing it there at the end. I guess the next installment will be telling.

not mad just inept -
Old January 22 2013, 04:39 PM   #1320
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

If there ever gets to be a point where the TV goes over Martin's writing while he's still writing... fuck that. I'd quit watching and avoid spoilers like the plague. If Martin dies, that's one thing. If Martin's in New Mexico toiling away at Book 7 while the TV series does its own ending... no. I want to experience this story ending through the books, not an adaptation. Not saying the producers shouldn't even do it; just that if they do, keep it away from me.

And Deckerd, if you haven't seen the show, watch it now! It's not perfect (neither are the novels btw) but it's a great adaptation. Don't let a few people on a message board talking about stuff stop you from experiencing it, even if you don't like it, you should find out for yourself
I'd say the first season is a very solid 9/10 that borders on 10/10 at times and, quibbles aside, is as good of an adaptation as you can imagine. The second season... is a lot more sketchy in quality, both as its own series and as an adaptation. Some elements, like Theon's ACoK arc, were adapted really well, even if they changed some things, while others, like Jon Snow's, they completely fucked up on.

The series is worth seeing, but it's really a cute novelty for me.

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I gave her much more credit for cunning and game playing before Martin let us in her head. Then she became this paranoid small creature. I am still not sure how I feel about that.
I love it! One of the best things about the series is how completely wrongfooted first impressions can be. A lot of people when they read A Game of Thrones are given this impression of Cersei as a master manipulator, which then confuses people at how the pure chance of circumstances allowed Cersei to get away with killing Robert. But as we see later, Cersei truly is a mental incompetent. Inside her head, it's insane how completely and utterly wrong she interrupts everything and everyone, making enemies out of allies while sucking up to (and sucking) enemies. She fascinates me but Livia she is not.