Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 22 2012, 09:53 PM   #1066
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I recall reading somewhere that GRRM had told Benioff and Weiss where the story was going, but now I can't remember where or if that was even true.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 10:00 PM   #1067
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^You remember right. Martin said that Benioff and Weiss know "some" of the ending in this interview, and I'm sure he's repeated as much elsewhere.
Old August 22 2012, 10:01 PM   #1068
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I recall reading somewhere that GRRM had told Benioff and Weiss where the story was going, but now I can't remember where or if that was even true.
I seem to recall he might have mentioned that in one of the S1 DVD/BRD extras, maybe. I remember hearing/seeing/reading that as well.
Old August 22 2012, 10:12 PM   #1069
Skywalker
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
^You remember right. Martin said that Benioff and Weiss know "some" of the ending in this interview, and I'm sure he's repeated as much elsewhere.
Woohoo! For once my memory didn't fail me!

But yeah, I don't see why GRRM wouldn't have told Sean Bean the truth if he had asked about it. Bean's a professional, he wouldn't go off and tell everyone else.
Old August 22 2012, 10:18 PM   #1070
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Old August 22 2012, 10:22 PM   #1071
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Well, Bean did go off and make comments that, unless you parse them carefully, suggest that Jon isn't Ned's father. And Alfie Allen said that it was "a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation."
Old August 22 2012, 10:26 PM   #1072
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, Bean did go off and make comments that, unless you parse them carefully, suggest that Jon isn't Ned's father. And Alfie Allen said that it was "a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation."
Eh, that I don't mind. Dropping hints and such like that isn't the same as coming out and actually saying "Jon is So-and-so's son!"
Old August 23 2012, 12:00 AM   #1073
Dream
Admiral

I'm starting to get the feeling that the GOT producers will have to make up an original ending for the show, since it seems it is very unlikely that Martin will finish the book series in time.
Old August 23 2012, 01:23 AM   #1074
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Well, Bean did go off and make comments that, unless you parse them carefully, suggest that Jon isn't Ned's father.
Well that's pretty much a no brainer. It's the other way round that's interesting.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 01:49 AM   #1075
Dream
Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Well, Bean did go off and make comments that, unless you parse them carefully, suggest that Jon isn't Ned's father.
Well that's pretty much a no brainer. It's the other way round that's interesting.
Haven't fans been speculating about this ever since the first book was released? So, what is that... 20 years?
Old August 23 2012, 01:59 AM   #1076
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Sure, most fans have long taken it for granted that Ned isn't Jon's father, but Martin never used to admit even that much, so it's interesting that he's apparently telling actors (even those who have no possible need to know) and doesn't seem peeved that they're dropping hints all over the place. Maybe he figures so many people have accepted the theory that it's not worth the pretense. Or maybe he's planning a big double-twist where Jon is Ned's after all. That would amuse me.
Old August 23 2012, 01:38 PM   #1077
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Well I started book 4 last night.

Jamie should be worried. Every person that Brienne has sworn an oath to is dead. He should just crawl up on the bier next to dear old dad.

Brienne is just a loyal Golden Retriever is she not? Somehow I doubt that the gal's efforts will amount to much.

Jon has just sent his best support away. I get that he is worried that Melisandre will harm Aemon, but is sending a man over 100 on a long journey the best plan Jon? Plus, now he does not have Sam watching his back. Becoming a maester is a long process. Jon has just sent Sam away for years. That choice may be best for Sam, but it is probably going to come back to haunt Jon.

I find that I was giving Cersei too much credit in the cunning department. Her chapters paint a picture of a vacuous, stupid conniver. I hope she falls hard. She keeps thinking that she will be greater than her father. Currently I doubt she would make a wart on Tywin's backside.

I offically love Kevan Lannister for calling her out and saying she is bad mother.

Little Tommen seems sweet. I hope the child survives all this.

Jamie is heading down an interesting road. However, I have my doubts about Jamie's life expectancy or that of any Lannister. Although his nieces and his people doubt it, I think Doran Martell is up to something. He strikes me as a long game type of guy. Plus, Jon has taken on the role of Lord Commander, but he was sitting there thinking about destroying the Lannisters...

I wonder if Jamie seeing the three headed dragon mosaic in the floor below the tunnels is foreshadowing? It seemed to hint that his doom might be tied up in the Targeryns. Or maybe I just read more into that bit than there actually was?

Also, Damphair is officially batshit, but I don't know how much of his prattle I can take. It does crack me up that he sees himself as this hardened threat. The Iron Born just strike me as a gaggle of nitwits.
Old August 23 2012, 02:37 PM   #1078
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
Aeron Damphair is completely insane but I found him a lot of fun. He's one of my faourite tertiary characters.

Martin never used to admit even that much, so it's interesting that he's apparently telling actors (even those who have no possible need to know)
Well, Sean Bean obviously needed to know. Ned Stark is one of the few people who definitely knows Jon Snow's parentage, after all.

So who else did he tell? Peter Dinklage?
Old August 23 2012, 03:14 PM   #1079
Kosh Naranek
Captain

An earlier poster said that Alfie Allen (Theon) knows. Evidently Allen asked Martin because Allen really wanted to know and Martin told him who Jon's parents are.

Allen quipped that Jon has the whole Luke Skywalker thing going on.
Old August 23 2012, 03:55 PM   #1080
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Well, Sean Bean obviously needed to know. Ned Stark is one of the few people who definitely knows Jon Snow's parentage, after all.
Considering how little emphasis the scripts place on Ned and Jon, and given Bean's, er, less than nuanced acting style, I think they could have gotten away with not telling Bean, if they really wanted to keep it close to the vest. And Alfie Allen, whose character pretty plainly doesn't know in the books, is another thing altogether.