Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 11 2012, 04:51 AM   #796
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

They've made Cersei a lot less of a one-dimensional character but I'm hoping we start seeing batshit Cersei in the upcoming seasons. GRRM showed some of this during Blackwater. It can be a fun characterization.

Tyrion mentally notes that if Cersei had had one child with Robert, she wouldn't be in the mess she's in.

Theon's victory was a brilliant coup but he was too obsessed with holding Winterfell. If he had put it to the torch and taken Bran, Rickon, the Reeds, and the two Freys hostage, he would have put the Iron Islands in a better position. Of course, I'm convinced Balon still wouldn't have given him any credit.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 08:51 PM   #797
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I'm not sure Balon's decision was all that stupid. Putting aside the fact that the military aspect of his plan was much more easily achieved than what Robb wanted him to do, Robb's alliance scenario depended on the Lannisters (or whichever southern contender eventually triumphed) accepting the loss of the North, the riverlands, the Iron Islands, and at least part of the Westerlands. Balon's plan, on the other hand, involves the Seven Kingdoms losing "only" the Islands and the North. Still a bitter pill, but overall an easier one to swallow. Tyrion is at least not immediately opposed when he receives the offer (which, by the way, initially comes before the Battle of the Blackwater, not after). And later, Tywin's response to it is not rejection but to wait and see, because he has the Red Wedding in the planning stages. Balon's plan ultimately failed more because of that unlikely development, and because of later action by Theon (whose insistence on holding Winterfell and "killing" Bran and Rickon turned the North violently and permanently against the ironborn) and Euron (whose murder of Balon and claiming of the throne required Asha and Victarion to withdraw their occupying forces and attend the kingsmoot), than because it was flawed in conception.
Tywin didn't immediately reject it because there was no point in allying with Balon when he was already serving their interests by fighting the Starks, so best not to discourage him. The Lannisters are committed to ruling all the Seven Kingdoms. Once Robb is dealt with, there's no reason whatever to believe that they won't turn around and crush the Iron Islands too, which is easily within the power of the mainland forces, as was proved a decade earlier. Moreover, the Ironborn are a hostile power whose whole culture is based on reaving -- no holder of the Iron Throne would leave them independent for long.

Balon's plan isn't more militarily feasible, either, from a long-term perspective. Theon's taking Winterfell wasn't part of his original design, so his original plan of attack was basically to seize the two westernmost fortresses in the North (Deepwood Motte and Torrhen's Square) - Winterfell and the northern and eastern forts (Last Hearth, Karhold, the Dreadfort, White Harbour, etc.) were to be left unmolested, and even the modest forces assembled by the Dreadfort garrison were more than sufficient to retake Winterfell. Particularly when winter comes, there's no viable long-term strategy for holding only a couple of the north's eastern fortresses against all the rest, let alone making the whole country submit.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 05:08 PM   #798
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Thoughts whilst rewatching... is Gendry's claim to the Iron Throne as good or better than Stannis' is?
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 05:15 PM   #799
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Klaus wrote: View Post
Thoughts whilst rewatching... is Gendry's claim to the Iron Throne as good or better than Stannis' is?
Gendry is a bastard, he has no claim to the throne unless someone legitimizes his.
Old June 20 2012, 05:17 PM   #800
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Bastards have no claim to the throne at all, unless they are legitimized.

Now, in real-life, being a royal bastard has more than a few times led to taking the throne, or making the attempt.

- Homer Simpson
Old June 20 2012, 06:52 PM   #801
Kegg
Rear Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Bastards have no claim to the throne at all, unless they are legitimized.
Which can be done by anyone considered to have the authority. Robert could have legitimized any one of his bastards in death, and Stannis does offer to legitimize Jon Snow as Jon Stark (and thus automatically confer on him a claim on the title Lord of Winterfell). Probably useful to distinguish here between recognized bastards and legitimate bastards - Edric Strom is Robert's only recognized bastard, and he recognized him because his mother was highborn. He hasn't formally recognized his other bastards, and if he legitimized Edric he'd be Edric Baratheon and have a direct claim on the throne.

So anyway hypothetically all you need to use a bastard to put a claim on the throne is to have someone with sufficient authority legitimize them.

Now, in real-life, being a royal bastard has more than a few times led to taking the throne, or making the attempt.
Of course. In fact one bastard son of the Duke of Normandy did rather well for himself, inheriting first his father's duchy and subsequently going on to successfully seize the English throne.
Old June 20 2012, 07:05 PM   #802
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Ty all, I figured that was it... I only have one question.

What is this "real life" you speak of? I keep hearing people talk about it...
Old June 20 2012, 08:00 PM   #803
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

What is this "real life" you speak of? I keep hearing people talk about it...
It's been on for while (rebooted a few times, I believe the current incarnation is currently in the middle of its 2,012th season) but honestly it's pretty overrated. I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I found it got pretty dull ever since the epic story arc of the 1,939th - 1,945th seasons wrapped (although the ending was sort of a deus ex machina letdown.)
Old June 20 2012, 08:32 PM   #804
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ I'll give it a couple more seasons until I pass judgment. Rumors on the web say that this season might end with a real bang - but I think it's unfounded hype, myself...
Old June 20 2012, 09:44 PM   #805
Kegg
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Rumors on the web say that this season might end with a real bang -
That's just a fringe fan theory. Great grist for the fanfiction mill I'm sure, but I really doubt TPTB are going in that direction this year.
Old June 20 2012, 10:18 PM   #806
Klaus
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
It's been on for while (rebooted a few times, I believe the current incarnation is currently in the middle of its 2,012th season) but honestly it's pretty overrated. I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I found it got pretty dull ever since the epic story arc of the 1,939th - 1,945th seasons wrapped (although the ending was sort of a deus ex machina letdown.)
Hmm.. my sources cite this as about the 4 and a half billionth season.
Old June 20 2012, 10:21 PM   #807
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Other fringe elements of the fan base say it's only been on for about 6,000 seasons or so, give or take...
Old June 21 2012, 12:57 AM   #808
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Well, we never get any reruns so who cares.
Old June 21 2012, 01:34 AM   #809
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Hmm.. my sources cite this as about the 4 and a half billionth season.
The series rebooted with the advent of man, the premiere episode "Fire" was clearly intended to be a new starting point. The other series is still in continuity but you don't need to have seen it to enjoy the current production.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2012, 02:47 AM   #810
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
So anyway hypothetically all you need to use a bastard to put a claim on the throne is to have someone with sufficient authority legitimize them.
In that instance the person doing the legitimizing would presumably be the one who already holds (or claims) the throne, so it's not really clear why they'd want to legitimize a rival claimant.

- Homer Simpson