Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2012, 02:39 PM   #436
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

It's not clear that those are the same scene from what I saw... it looked like it was just cut together.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 04:23 PM   #437
superdeluxe
Captain

Loved the Trailer! Season two here we come

"I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine through fire and blood!".

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 04:43 PM   #438
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
It's not clear that those are the same scene from what I saw... it looked like it was just cut together.
When Littlefinger is backing away, you see the same knife being held to him. Either they took two scenes (Cat holding a knife, and someone else holding a knife to Littlefinger) and edited them together or they've done a new scene of her confronting him.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 02:58 AM   #439
superdeluxe
Captain

Looks like game of thrones is generating some serious buzz heading into season 2

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/01/ga...railerrecords/

Also read that game of thrones is now the 3rd most watched series all time on hbo

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:02 PM   #440
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

spot_loves_data wrote: View Post
I'm 1/3 of the way through A Storm of Swords and I know I'm going to miss the series when I've finished. What about Martin's other books? Has anyone here read them and how do they compare to A Song of Ice and Fire?
His short story collections are quite fantastic with only a few real clunkers in there, mostly from early in his career. The "Dunk and Egg" novellas are a must-read out of all his short work if you're an ASOIAF fan.

Dying of the Light, A Song for Lya & Fevre Dream aren't quite on par with ASOIAF but well worth reading.

The Armageddon Rag and the Wild Cards series are less enthralling, but I enjoyed them.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:18 PM   #441
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The first season ratings, the continued interest in the show, and the awards the show has been getting will likely lead to another renewal soon after the second season premiere. There have been rumors that HBO has told the producers to prepare to shoot the next two seasons back to back. Hopefully that'll turn out to be the case.
Old February 4 2012, 07:31 PM   #442
Bisz
Rear Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
I honestly have no idea how that picture constitutes a spoiler.

Unless an alternate dimesnion Ned Stark from a modernized, urban version of Westeros is going to show up in season two and start fondling his secretary on the Iron Thorne, in which case I apologize for spoiling everyone.
"Winter is coming, baby...and so am I."

I'm now eagerly anticipating "This Ain't A Game Of Thrones"
Old February 4 2012, 07:35 PM   #443
CaptainCanada
Admiral

If HBO decides to end the series before Martin finishes the series, A Storm of Swords wouldn't be a bad one to end on. It wraps up several storylines and gives new futures to some of the characters. With the deaths of key Starks and Lannisters, the teeth go out of that rivalry as well.
I don't see how that book could possibly serve as a satisfying ending to anything. Every character's situation ends on a cliffhanger, with none of the plots resolved.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 12:25 AM   #444
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

They could just start making shit up this season or next and plan for five-seven year run that doesn't even slightly resemble the books by the time it ends.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 01:49 AM   #445
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think the first four seasons, likely covering the first three books and some of the fourth book, will stick pretty closely to the books. After that things could veer off. HBO's head honcho has said that the show will definitely come to a proper conclusion, but he parsed his words very carefully and basically said it could be a conclusion that doesn't follow the timescale of the books. The producers know the ending Martin intends, so it must be unnerving for Martin that they could get to his ending by a shorter route on the show if he takes too long with the final two books.
Old February 6 2012, 05:04 AM   #446
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
If HBO decides to end the series before Martin finishes the series, A Storm of Swords wouldn't be a bad one to end on. It wraps up several storylines and gives new futures to some of the characters. With the deaths of key Starks and Lannisters, the teeth go out of that rivalry as well.
I don't see how that book could possibly serve as a satisfying ending to anything. Every character's situation ends on a cliffhanger, with none of the plots resolved.
I wouldn't want to see it end there but if they had to end it early, I think Book 3 would be the most logical place.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 05:46 AM   #447
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I think the first four seasons, likely covering the first three books and some of the fourth book, will stick pretty closely to the books. After that things could veer off. HBO's head honcho has said that the show will definitely come to a proper conclusion, but he parsed his words very carefully and basically said it could be a conclusion that doesn't follow the timescale of the books. The producers know the ending Martin intends, so it must be unnerving for Martin that they could get to his ending by a shorter route on the show if he takes too long with the final two books.
Then the series would be a spoiler for the books instead of the other way around...? That'd be odd. Given GRRM's close association w/this production I find that implausible. Given the event that the new book was his publishers would be apoplectic. Perhaps the popularity of the series will spur him to spare us a little more of his valuable time for writing to ensure he beats them to the finish line!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 01:02 PM   #448
spot_loves_data
Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
His short story collections are quite fantastic with only a few real clunkers in there, mostly from early in his career. The "Dunk and Egg" novellas are a must-read out of all his short work if you're an ASOIAF fan.

Dying of the Light, A Song for Lya & Fevre Dream aren't quite on par with ASOIAF but well worth reading.

The Armageddon Rag and the Wild Cards series are less enthralling, but I enjoyed them.
Thanks for that, I'll check these out.
spot_loves_data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 04:29 PM   #449
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Then the series would be a spoiler for the books instead of the other way around...? That'd be odd. Given GRRM's close association w/this production I find that implausible. Given the event that the new book was his publishers would be apoplectic. Perhaps the popularity of the series will spur him to spare us a little more of his valuable time for writing to ensure he beats them to the finish line!
Given how many people now have a big financial stake in the series, I think he'll be under enormous pressure to finish the series in a timely fashion. In fact if he's stuggling to stay on target it wouldn't surprise me if he secretly used a co-writer to speed things up.
Old February 6 2012, 07:33 PM   #450
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Having a proper Editor and maybe a co-writer probably would have helped AFFC and ADWD in the first place.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote