Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 18 2011, 06:22 PM   #361
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Has anyone picked up the first two issues of the Game of Thrones comic adaptation? I have to say after being disappointed with the lack luster Wheel of Time comic, the Game of Thrones comic is simply spectacular. The art is great and so is the writing...plus it's not a PG comic.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 09:16 PM   #362
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I honestly have no idea how that picture constitutes a spoiler.

Unless an alternate dimesnion Ned Stark from a modernized, urban version of Westeros is going to show up in season two and start fondling his secretary on the Iron Thorne, in which case I apologize for spoiling everyone.
Well, that would certainly appeal to the folks who had the theory (at the start of the show) that Jon Snow's mom was Cersei and he was also the "black-haired baby" she told Catelyn about...

As for the length of seasons in the GoT world:

Are the long seasons isolated only to the continent of Westeros or are they all over the world?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 09:27 PM   #363
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
I honestly have no idea how that picture constitutes a spoiler.

Unless an alternate dimesnion Ned Stark from a modernized, urban version of Westeros is going to show up in season two and start fondling his secretary on the Iron Thorne, in which case I apologize for spoiling everyone.
Well, that would certainly appeal to the folks who had the theory (at the start of the show) that Jon Snow's mom was Cersei and he was also the "black-haired baby" she told Catelyn about...

As for the length of seasons in the GoT world:

Are the long seasons isolated only to the continent of Westeros or are they all over the world?
Apparently they're similar in both Westeros and Essos. But we don't know what they're like south of the equator. Equatorial regions are usually warm even in the winter and equatorial agriculture can apparently support the rest of the known world during the decade-long winter.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 04:37 AM   #364
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

There's a 6000-word excerpt from The Winds of Winter up at GRRM's website!

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 05:25 AM   #365
Biffette
Captain

Santa Klaus wrote: View Post
There's a 6000-word excerpt from The Winds of Winter up at GRRM's website!

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html
Yikes. Thanks!
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 04:15 PM   #366
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

I liked it a lot... anyone else read it?
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 05:19 PM   #367
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

Just saw it this morning... Nice way to end the year!

GRRM was also just awarded Author of the Year by (I think) the New York Times.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 10:50 PM   #368
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Santa Klaus wrote: View Post
I liked it a lot... anyone else read it?
I've read it and also liked it a lot.

Theon's chapters were my favorites in ADWD, I expect them to be as awesome in TWOW.
Old January 1 2012, 02:36 AM   #369
Biffette
Captain

Shurik wrote: View Post
Another thing that's obvious from this chapter is that the decision about which chapters from ADWD will be transferred to the next book was random. There's no reason for this chapter to be in the next book. GRRM needs better editors.
I completely agree that he needs better (more assertive) editors, but I disagree in that I didn't like it all that much. 6000 words that could easily have been cut down to 1000.
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2012, 10:19 PM   #370
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Biffette wrote: View Post
I completely agree that he needs better (more assertive) editors, but I disagree in that I didn't like it all that much. 6000 words that could easily have been cut down to 1000.
I put ADWD down about 100 pages into the book precisely because I'm tired of his rambling. I really wish someone would get through to him and get him to tell the story, not any and all irrelevant stories that pop into his head as he tries to grope his way to the conclusion.
Old January 2 2012, 12:05 AM   #371
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Bisz wrote: View Post
Biffette wrote: View Post
I put ADWD down about 100 pages into the book precisely because I'm tired of his rambling. I really wish someone would get through to him and get him to tell the story, not any and all irrelevant stories that pop into his head as he tries to grope his way to the conclusion.
Small chance of that, since he got the most recognition for ADWD. TIME magazine listed ADWD as the book of the year and he got named Author of the Year by USA TODAY.
I dare to say that the actual quality of the book had nothing to do with those decisions. It was because the HBO series are very popular and because the hype and the anticipation for this book were enormous. So expect another 1000 pages with nothing happening in half of them ...
Old January 2 2012, 06:15 AM   #372
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Shurik wrote: View Post
Small chance of that, since he got the most recognition for ADWD. TIME magazine listed ADWD as the book of the year and he got named Author of the Year by USA TODAY.
I dare to say that the actual quality of the book had nothing to do with those decisions. It was because the HBO series are very popular and because the hype and the anticipation for this book were enormous. So expect another 1000 pages with nothing happening in half of them ...
+1

Sort of.

The first three books were great and he deserves a lot of credit for them, the last two no so much, and in my opinion he deserves to be called out on it.

So, I agree that the awards he got this year are a result of the popularity of the TV series that was released this year and not a result of the book we got this year.

But I think we can consider the awards as being for the entirety of his work on ASOIF.

Which is deserved.

Assuming he does manage to finish the story, because if he doesn't then the great start it was off to will mean the let-down is just that much worse.

* I guess "this year" should now read "last year", seeing as we're into 2012 now.
Old January 2 2012, 11:26 AM   #373
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Well, I loved the first three books (though Bran's and Arya's stuff in ASOS got really boring at some points). I liked the majority of AFFC and the parts of ADWD that were in Westeros. IMO, Theon's chapters in ADWD are some of his best writing in the entire series.
I can live with his ramblings, as long as they are somehow connected to the story he's trying to tell at the moment. I hate it when he goes on a whole page description of what's everyone wearing and eating or when he writes whole chapters where people just go from one place to another and nothing happens in them.

So in the end everything boils down to the need to get him a much better editors, someone who will tell him that releasing an unfinished book is bad.
Old January 2 2012, 11:31 AM   #374
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I still think all of the relevant events that occurred in AFFC/ADWD could have been condensed into one book. There are just too many characters and too many plotlines, and Martin keeps adding more. I seriously hope he starts trimming the fat in TWOW. The series is supposed to be heading towards its end point now.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2012, 12:19 PM   #375
FreezeC77
Commodore

In a way HBO can actually remedy some of those criticisms about GRRM in how the producers and writers deal with his ramblings and inconsequential/filler segments to scenes. They can effectively be that 'assertive editor' who doesn't exist in the publishing end and make a more coherent narrative.

They'll definitely have to considering how much padding there is on the last few books and HBO only doing 10 episode seasons.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote