Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 26 2014, 03:17 PM   #2536
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

The biggest question marks as to whether they'll be included next season, or at all, are Lady Stoneheart, Aegon, Jon Connington, Euron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Aeron Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Quentyn Martell, and Val.
Old June 26 2014, 04:08 PM   #2537
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
They've cut all the actually important flashbacks, why suddenly include them for something as easy to gloss over as Cersei's prophecy?
I thought much the same. Seems odd.
Probably for the same reason why they haven't introduced Stoneheart yet. I suspect that, if they're going to address something like these particular story items, they aren't going to peacemeal them into the series, especially since they only have 10 hours of showtime to work with. The story is already quite complex, especially for a TV format. If they were to throw in a whole bunch of little disjointed scenes that have no real pay-out or resolution by the end of a season, most viewers might scratch their heads and say "what about X, Y and Z???"

Case in point: I remember, during Nu-Battlestar Galactica's run, they would randomly throw some things into the show that would seem like they could have major impact and significance to the plot. Like Roslyn mentioning "He Who Would Not Be Named" from the Book of Pythea, or the true nature of the "Head" people, or the purpose of the Temple of the Five, or going so far back as seeing the 12 constellations of Earth (fully recognizable in their contemporary configurations) in that holo-suite on Kobol, even though the "Earth" from where the original humans came was not the same as ours, was millions of years in the past, and never took into account stellar drift and other astronomical factors. In the end, NONE of those things were ever addressed or was found to be an indicator of the greater plot in any way and it left many viewers (myself, included) very irked, and should be taken as an example of how not to write for a show with large story arcs. Later on, it was either Ron Moore or David Eick (can't remember which) who basically admitted many of the things they threw in there randomly just to sound mysterious, spiritual and cool, but without any clue or intention as to how to resolve it within the established plot and just forget about them. In short - a complete, total cop-out.

I would expect more from the GoT writers and GRRM, so at this point I think I'll reserve judgment until we get into S5.
Old July 1 2014, 01:48 AM   #2538
Dream
Admiral

Is Michelle Fairley still EVEN under contract for Game of Thrones? Two years without an appearance. Can she say "HELL NO" to playing someone under heavy zombie makeup who can barely manage to speak a couple of lines? I wouldn't be surprised if they recast the part.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 07:47 AM   #2539
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

The problem with LS is, she does nothing that Wyman Manderly doesn't do already (i.e. killing Freys). Her story arc is redundant if we get the GNC.

Also, at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if the Ironborn subplot gets scrapped completely. Balon is still alive so we won't need a Kingsmoot. Dany already has her 93 or so ships thanks to Daario, so she won't need Victarion's fleet.

Balon is probably going to sit the Seastone Chair doing nothing of importance until the end of the show...
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:25 AM   #2540
Relayer1
Commodore

The Ironborn arc seems to be heading towards the finish of the main story arc - I doubt they will be ble to bin it completely.
Old July 1 2014, 02:29 PM   #2541
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Michelle Fairley could say no to playing Lady Stoneheart, but she's said the part would be an interesting challenge to play and that she'd relish taking it on. If Stoneheart is in I think Fairley will play her. My guess is that Stoneheart will be included and that there'll be a slow build-up to a full reveal at the end of the fifth season when Stoneheart confronts Brienne, so Fairley would only be needed for a cameo in the fifth season with an expanded part in the sixth season. I think they'll try to keep her inclusion a surprise, with Fairley secreted in to film her appearance.

As for the Ironborn, I think a limited Kingsmoot and the introduction of Euron will be included, while Vic and his voyage to Meereen will be cut.
Old July 1 2014, 03:32 PM   #2542
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

If Fairley reprises her role, I doubt it will be the voiceless zombie portrayed in the books. Tyrion's wound in the show is nowhere near as harsh - his scar is not all that deep and he still has an intact nose! I suspect that, in order to make Stoneheart more sympathetic and interactive as a character, Thoros' healing of her will likely repair some of the throat damage - not all, but enough to make her be able to talk.
Old July 1 2014, 03:54 PM   #2543
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
The problem with LS is, she does nothing that Wyman Manderly doesn't do already (i.e. killing Freys). Her story arc is redundant if we get the GNC.
We don't know what her story arc is yet. She will probably have a much larger role to play in Winds of Winter.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2014, 10:40 PM   #2544
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
If Fairley reprises her role, I doubt it will be the voiceless zombie portrayed in the books. Tyrion's wound in the show is nowhere near as harsh - his scar is not all that deep and he still has an intact nose! I suspect that, in order to make Stoneheart more sympathetic and interactive as a character, Thoros' healing of her will likely repair some of the throat damage - not all, but enough to make her be able to talk.
I agree with the general sentiment, but Stoneheart talks in the books anyway. Not in her first appearance in the A Storm of Swords epilogue, but by the last Brienne chapter in A Feast for Crows (which is where I expect the show will pick her up if she appears at all) she can speak if she holds her throat together.
Old July 2 2014, 12:54 AM   #2545
Wereghost
Commodore

Dream wrote: View Post
Is Michelle Fairley still EVEN under contract for Game of Thrones? Two years without an appearance. Can she say "HELL NO" to playing someone under heavy zombie makeup who can barely manage to speak a couple of lines? I wouldn't be surprised if they recast the part.
IMHO, recasting would be a disaster. Viewers need to be able to recognise her as Catelyn Stark without prompting. For that and other reasons, I think it's Michelle Fairley or GTFO.
Old July 2 2014, 12:19 PM   #2546
Stoo
Captain

Something occured to me the other day when I was pondering Game of Thrones instead of being productive. The Targaryens invaded Westeros with just three dragons, and took everything except for Dorne.

But Valyria, before it fell, had loads of dragons, right? So why didn't they conquer the Seven Kingdoms centuries earlier? Despite clearly being expansionst, they never went further west than Dragonstone. Did they just think Westeros was too much trouble to bother with? Or does it have some sort of anti-dragon defense (that wasn't functioning when Aegon showed up).

Last edited by Stoo; July 2 2014 at 12:56 PM.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 12:42 PM   #2547
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Tyrion asks himself the same question at one point.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 05:19 PM   #2548
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Stoo wrote: View Post
Something occured to me the other day when I was pondering Game of Thrones instead of being productive. The Targaryens invaded Westeros with just three dragons, and took everything except for Dorne.

But Valyria, before it fell, had loads of dragons, right? So why didn't they conquer the Seven Kingdoms centuries earlier? Despite clearly being expansionst, they never went further west than Dragonstone. Did they just think Westeros was too much trouble to bother with? Or does it have some sort of anti-dragon defense (that wasn't functioning when Aegon showed up).
The Valyrian Freehold was huge but I get the impression it was never very densely populated. Population and resource pressures are what drive serious attempts at foreign expansion, and I don't think they had any. I'll note that the cities we see in Essos seem to be rather wealthy. The weather is better by a good margin, and there is clearly lots of land to expand into, should one desire. Granted, Essos also has substantial deserts, but then you have vast areas like the Dothraki Sea which look ripe for cultivation, should anyone decide to bother. Westeros, by comparison, is crowded, dirty, poor, inhospitable.

The Doom of Valyria is what ultimately drove Targaryen expansion into Westeros.
Old July 2 2014, 05:19 PM   #2549
Scout101
Admiral

I'd imagine they knew enough about what lurked North of the wall and decided it was smarter to keep an ocean between themselves and the White Walkers. Whether they knew this and never bothered to invade, or found this out because they USED TO control that area and were pushed out/fled last time the Walkers came South, hard to say. Either would explain them avoiding Westeros, though. Or maybe it was just bad timing, and when they were ready to expand there, things had started to fall apart at home and they contracted the empire as it fell apart?

That's my two cents, at least.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2014, 05:33 PM   #2550
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Stoo wrote: View Post

Lack of interest.

The Valyrians never really bothered to acquire substantial territories outside the Freehold. The various cities were colonial outposts. They never annexed Slaver's Bay, for instance, which is directly adjacent to the Freehold, even after fighting several wars with Old Ghis that caused the downfall of that empire.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote