Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 24 2014, 02:25 AM   #2491
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Given GRRM's writing style, I don't think that's an option.
His method, maybe. If given hundreds of pages of text, he would be likely to do a page one rewrite of the material.

But his style? GRRM's style is functional and works, but it's nothing mindblowing or earth-shattering.
OED: "A particular procedure by which something is done; a manner or way."
I think you mean "method," then.

When you refer to "writing style," you're talking about the way Martin structures his thoughts and assembles his sentences. Hemingway has a short, declarative writing style. Dickens has a ponderous writing style. Tolkien has a pseudo-medieval writing style. Martin has a functional writing style.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 02:56 PM   #2492
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Oh, I dunno. It gets pretty ponderous, particularly in Crows where he repeats the "9 children from Quellon Greyjoy's loins" line about 6 times, and the "What is dead may never die" prayer at least 4 times in the first chapter, plus the endless "King's Moot" screaching. Pretty ponderous to me, but I suspect due mostly to bad editing before publication.

Really not looking forward to either the Ironborn or the Dornish stuff in the next season (the latter also quite ponderous, IMO).

The earlier stuff was much better, though and, yes, functional.
Old June 24 2014, 04:00 PM   #2493
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I do wonder if they'll dump a lot of the whole Ironborn storyline. I mean, they haven't even killed off Balon, despite Patrick Malahide not being used at all. this season and just the once (IIRC) in S3. Is that so they don't have to have the Kingsmoot story?

Perhaps if they're going to include the Victarion storyline, they'll just have him sailing out at Balon's behest?
Old June 24 2014, 04:05 PM   #2494
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ That might be the simplest way to do it. There's presumably a big role for him to play once he gets to Mereen to get in line with all the other suitors, and I'm not sure if it matters if Balon is dead or alive. Although they did do the leech-burning scene and, IIRC, mentioned Balon Greyjoy's name as one of three usurpors (along with Robb and Joffrey). The other two are dead, and "two is not three" until "three is three". It will probably happen in passing, as there really isn't much else for the Ironborn to do at this point.

I'm curious if that anti-dragon horn will be used, considering the Horn of Winter never showed up. Aside from the occasional appearance of the Others and the shenanigans of Melissandre and Thoros, they seem to be downplaying the growing magical aspects of this world considerably.
Old June 24 2014, 04:16 PM   #2495
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think there'll be a truncated Kingsmoot, although they could just play it that Yara returns home to find that her father has died and her uncle has seized the throne.

They established in season four that Daario has seized 93 ships for Dany, the exact same number of ships Victarion sailed with. Seems like a big tip-off that Victarion and his journey to Meereen are going to be cut.

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Really not looking forward to either the Ironborn or the Dornish stuff in the next season (the latter also quite ponderous, IMO).
Dorne could be more entertaining on screen with Jaime and Bronn in the mix.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 24 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 04:56 PM   #2496
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ True, I forgot about that. I wonder what their role will be down there. If Jaime isn't running about cleaning up the Riverlands and Bronn isn't off getting Lollies pregnant, what could they be doing? Perhaps Cersei ordered them to go down and protect Myrcella - or maybe bring her back to King's Landing, but then, where does that leave Arys Oakheart? Who has been protecting her up until this point?

Will Jaime ever get visited by his Aunt Genna and be told some curious things about his pedigree?

In some ways, I'm actually kind of glad they're adding some things into the mix that weren't in the books. Keeps it interesting for those of us who know the story.
Old June 24 2014, 05:01 PM   #2497
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

My guess is that Oakheart will be cut, or at least his role reduced, and Jaime and Bronn go to Dorne to try and get Myrcella back at Cersei's behest, although their mission could also partly be to smooth things over with the Martells, perhaps bringing the Mountain's skull with them to present to Doran Martell. It depends whether their mission is diplomatic or more clandestine.
Old June 24 2014, 06:01 PM   #2498
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's a report on Queen Elizabeth II's visit to the set with some pictures and the video of Sky News' coverage.
Old June 24 2014, 06:19 PM   #2499
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Winter is Coming reports that Tom Wlaschiha's agency in Germany has him listed as filming on Game of Thrones starting in August. If that's correct, Jaqen will make his return next season. Even before this report there was a lot of speculation whether he'll be the one to train Arya in Braavos. My guess is he will be, perhaps with Arya meeting the Kindly Man and him changing his face to reveal himself as Jaqen relatively quickly.
Jaqen is going to be pretty busy if he is both The Kindly Man and Pate.
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ True, I forgot about that. I wonder what their role will be down there. If Jaime isn't running about cleaning up the Riverlands and Bronn isn't off getting Lollies pregnant, what could they be doing? Perhaps Cersei ordered them to go down and protect Myrcella - or maybe bring her back to King's Landing, but then, where does that leave Arys Oakheart? Who has been protecting her up until this point?

Will Jaime ever get visited by his Aunt Genna and be told some curious things about his pedigree?
As much as the evidence may point to Joanna having been raped at least once by Aerys, that quote is a clear reference to personality rather than pedigree.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 06:34 PM   #2500
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Jaqen is going to be pretty busy if he is both The Kindly Man and Pate.
There are a number of ways they could approach it.
Old June 24 2014, 06:43 PM   #2501
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Here's a report on Queen Elizabeth II's visit to the set with some pictures and the video of Sky News' coverage.
Great disappointment that she didn't sit on the Iron Throne.
Old June 24 2014, 07:13 PM   #2502
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
When you refer to "writing style," you're talking about the way Martin structures his thoughts and assembles his sentences.
No, I'm talking about his style of operating. The terms has more than one meaning.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Sophie Turner said that the Queen remarked to her that it looked uncomfortable, which Sophie verified.

Incidentally, Sophie looking tall as usual, though when you're standing next to Maisie Williams it's probably not hard to look tall.

I guess Her Majesty's title would be "Elizabeth of the House Windsor, Second of Her Name, Queen of the Angles, the Scots, and the Orange Men, Lady of of the Sixteen Kingdoms, Protector of the Realms".

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 07:14 PM   #2503
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I thought the exact same thing. If she had, the image would go viral in an instant.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2014, 07:23 PM   #2504
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Probably why they didn't. Using the Queen's likeness for potential marketing purposes of a commercial enterprise, whether intentional or not, is probably considered verboten.
Old June 24 2014, 07:32 PM   #2505
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

This was absolutely priceless;

DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote