Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 21 2014, 06:07 PM   #2476
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Is it possible that they could make the final events in the tv series BEFORE he writes the book at this point? And he would technically be writing a novelization then?
It's not just possible. It's probable.
Old June 21 2014, 09:51 PM   #2477
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
Is it possible that they could make the final events in the tv series BEFORE he writes the book at this point? And he would technically be writing a novelization then?
It's not just possible. It's probable.
Not just probable, but highly likely.

I argued for years (ultimately correctly) that the Harry Potter films wouldn't catch up with Rowling despite rampant fears to the contrary. However, I can't make such an argument here. Unless we get some kind of bombshell that Martin has actually been writing both novels at the same time and they get released a year apart, there's no way A Dream of Spring will be released before the production and airing of the seventh season (or even a possible season eight).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:45 PM   #2478
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Emh wrote: View Post
Unless we get some kind of bombshell that Martin has actually been writing both novels at the same time and they get released a year apart, there's no way A Dream of Spring will be released before the production and airing of the seventh season (or even a possible season eight).
There's always a way.

For instance, Martin could bring on a cowriter to do some of the heavy lifting on Dream of Spring while he wraps up Winds of Winter alone.

Or Martin could give up the Internet. Or the New York Jets. Or writing a script a year for the television series and having a role in the production.

It's a question of how he decides to allot his time.

And no, I don't think any of these ideas are likely.

By the way, Nate Silver's Five Thirty Eight analyzes the stats and comes to a conclusion about when Winds of Winter will be released.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2014, 10:57 PM   #2479
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

March 2014 to August 2018 isn't exactly going out on a limb in narrowing down a prediction.

The conclusion is "I have no idea" and "whenever he damn well pleases".

My guess is that The Winds of Winter will be published no sooner than summer 2015 and (hopefully!) no later than early 2016. Some of the climatic moments delayed from the end of A Dance with Dragons to the beginning of Winds will probably be seen on screen before they're published, but at least fans will be able to read most of Winds before the material airs on the TV show. I think A Dream of Spring will only be published in the early 2020s, while the TV show will end in 2017 or 2018.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; June 21 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:47 AM   #2480
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Finished the final episodes tonight. Nice ending to the season. I like that Brienne and the Hound confronted one another, and I like the direction of Arya's character. Most of the changes from the books seem to work in the context of the series.

I really think now that we are going to see a different ending to the series than we will get in the books. That's fine. I like the fact that Walking Dead has gone in a much different direction than the comics, and it would work for this too.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 03:49 AM   #2481
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think they'll go with the ending Martin has outlined for them. Whether he ends up sticking with that same ending when/if he finishes the books is another matter.
Old June 22 2014, 11:54 AM   #2482
Lonemagpie
Writer

Martin having given them an end-point outline will undoubtedly have left miles of wiggle-room. All he has to have done is say "this person ends up on the throne" and they can take wildly different routes to get there.

Which is actually good for both sides- if there are differences between show and books, this means there will always be surprises for the audience who has experienced the series in the other medium.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 02:10 PM   #2483
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Martin having given them an end-point outline will undoubtedly have left miles of wiggle-room. All he has to have done is say "this person ends up on the throne" and they can take wildly different routes to get there.

Which is actually good for both sides- if there are differences between show and books, this means there will always be surprises for the audience who has experienced the series in the other medium.
Perhaps even greater differences than this. Now that Martin has the rumored 8th book planned, and several plot lines now diverge from the books, I can only see the differences growing over the next few years.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 02:28 PM   #2484
Relayer1
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post

Perhaps even greater differences than this. Now that Martin has the rumored 8th book planned, and several plot lines now diverge from the books, I can only see the differences growing over the next few years.
Now I think just the opposite - although there may be some big differences along the way, the endpoints should be pretty similar. The same major characters survive or die, the same big battles and outcomes and the same person on the throne.
Old June 22 2014, 04:08 PM   #2485
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

...the show has frequently gotten from point A to point B in the books via different means, and we can expect that to continue.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2014, 09:16 PM   #2486
Relayer1
Commodore

Klaus wrote: View Post
...the show has frequently gotten from point A to point B in the books via different means, and we can expect that to continue.
Exactly - it still gets to B, starting from A...
Old June 23 2014, 04:20 AM   #2487
CaptainCanada
Admiral

GRRM and the writers spent about a week going over the future of the series last year, so I expect their outline of events is a bit more complex than that, but at this rate the last two seasons (particularly the seventh, which will have pretty much no written material to go off of; with the sixth I expect the writers will get access to whatever Martin has finished by the time they start writing it next year) will have broadly the same outline and the same final outcomes, but the texture will be different.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
For instance, Martin could bring on a cowriter to do some of the heavy lifting on Dream of Spring while he wraps up Winds of Winter alone.
Given GRRM's writing style, I don't think that's an option.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 10:29 PM   #2488
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Winter is Coming reports that Tom Wlaschiha's agency in Germany has him listed as filming on Game of Thrones starting in August. If that's correct, Jaqen will make his return next season. Even before this report there was a lot of speculation whether he'll be the one to train Arya in Braavos. My guess is he will be, perhaps with Arya meeting the Kindly Man and him changing his face to reveal himself as Jaqen relatively quickly.
Old June 23 2014, 10:48 PM   #2489
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
His method, maybe. If given hundreds of pages of text, he would be likely to do a page one rewrite of the material.

But his style? GRRM's style is functional and works, but it's nothing mindblowing or earth-shattering.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2014, 11:30 PM   #2490
CaptainCanada
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
His method, maybe. If given hundreds of pages of text, he would be likely to do a page one rewrite of the material.

But his style? GRRM's style is functional and works, but it's nothing mindblowing or earth-shattering.
OED: "A particular procedure by which something is done; a manner or way."

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote