Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 10 2014, 02:52 PM   #2446
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Apparently a couple audition videos for season five have leaked, revealing that Jaime and Bronn will go to Dorne and cross paths with the Sand Snakes. Which makes a certain kind of sense-- it stops the Dorne storyline from being entirely about new characters, and it keeps Jaime busy without getting into the "cleaning up the riverlands" plot from the books, which depends on characters and situations the show hasn't done much with. (Though I wouldn't rule out the show doing an abbreviated version of that eventually.)
Old June 10 2014, 03:01 PM   #2447
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

It does make sense and it's a good way to keep Bronn involved (who pretty much disappears from the narrative after Tyrion flees), but I wonder who they'll work in the Brienne situation if he's all the way in Dorne. I guess that all depends whether we'll actually get Lady Stoneheart at the end of the finale like I suspect and hope.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2014, 03:11 PM   #2448
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The geographical scale of the show is vague enough that they can do pretty much anything they want about that, depending on whether Brienne meets Stoneheart at the end of this season, the end of next season, or somewhere in between. We know they're not afraid of creating filler when the timelines of different characters don't fit the overall plan.
Old June 14 2014, 06:27 PM   #2449
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

There's a longer trailer available for the finale, and it has Shae in it... so it looks like we're going to get her death -- and I'd assume that means we're going to end on Tywin's then. They can't split those two apart between seasons. I'd love to see Lady S but I don't think we're going to until next time.

I'm so interested in what the non-readers have to say about Shae's end and how it affects Tyrion's popularity -- though Tywin's kind of balances it out somewhat...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 10:54 PM   #2450
Brolan
Commodore

There is a lot they can do with Lady S: they can give us a brief shot to get everyone talking, she can dispense justice on the Freys, or they can jump ahead to Brienne.

As for Shae: I said up thread I thought she might be too sympathetic a character, and the viewers might get upset like they did with the Red Wedding. But that was before we saw the testimony that destroyed Tyrion emotionally. I don't think the audience will expect anything other than her death now.
Old June 15 2014, 05:57 AM   #2451
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'm going to miss Charles Dance, though. Now that his time has come, I'm especially thankful they gave us those scenes with Arya at Harrenhal so we got even more of him.

He'd make a good Master vs. Capaldi's Doctor, methinks...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 06:37 AM   #2452
Yoda
Rear Admiral

So re: the Tyrion/Shae thing, they kinda just went ahead and made it justifiable self defense in the end.
Old June 16 2014, 06:43 AM   #2453
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Not really. At first, sure, but he disarmed her and then sat and choked her to death.
Old June 16 2014, 06:46 AM   #2454
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Well, what's he supposed to do, give her an opportunity to scream for help? He's kinda shit deep in it at that point. Seems like a significant departure from the book, but then again it's been a while.
Old June 16 2014, 09:13 AM   #2455
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Alas, no Lady Stoneheart. Maybe they're saving that for the next season finale.

I'm a little disappointed by the change in conversations between Tyrion and Tywin and later Jaime. The two Lannister brothers part still loving each other.

Interesting decision to kill of Jojen now instead of where his now in the books, still slowing dying. I guess that kind of puts a kaput to the theories that he'll sacrifice himself in different way in the books to help Bran.

However, despite my initial dislike for it, I did like the encounter between Brienne and the Hound. If nothing else, that will change the dynamic of Brienne's eventual meeting with Lady Stoneheart.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 09:42 AM   #2456
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Not a mention of Tysha, not even a word.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 01:36 PM   #2457
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

An interview with Martin about the finale: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/ga...finale-martin/. Interesting quotes about the different meanings to Tyrion and to Westerosi society of the murders of Tywin and Shae. He also declines to talk about the significance of Shae being in Tywin's bed, because "there’s still aspects of it I haven’t revealed that will be revealed in later books. But the role of Varys in all of this is also something to be considered."

He also talks a fair bit about Tysha, which suggests he may not have known she wouldn't be mentioned in the episode. Or he could just be answering strictly in terms of the books.
Old June 16 2014, 07:42 PM   #2458
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Not a mention of Tysha, not even a word.
Not having seen tbe episode yet, that seems like a very odd omission. If I recall, she was the whole reason that confrontation took place as opposed to Tyrion simply getting the hell out of dodge.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 09:53 PM   #2459
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Yoda wrote: View Post
So re: the Tyrion/Shae thing, they kinda just went ahead and made it justifiable self defense in the end.
So, someone sneaks into your bedroom. You grab your gun/Knife/whatever to protect yourself and suddenly you're the aggressor?
If anyone was defending, it was Shae.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2014, 01:38 AM   #2460
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
So, someone sneaks into your bedroom. You grab your gun/Knife/whatever to protect yourself and suddenly you're the aggressor?
If anyone was defending, it was Shae.
It's hardly her bedroom. But that's not really the point I'm trying to get at. She just happened to be there, Tyrion was standing there dumbfounded trying to process WTF he was seeing. She was the one that went for a weapon and escalated it to a battle to the death.

The context of the earlier conversation is that the way he murdered her in the book made him irredeemable how TV viewers would/should react to that. I didn't necessarily subscribe to that view... but given the way it played out on the show, I don't see any sort of Tyrion backlash brewing in that way for the vast majority of people.