A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 1 2014, 05:17 AM   #2416
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I imagine that it's safe to assume that the Viper/Mountain duel will end as it does in the books. So how do you guys think the non-book-reading viewership will respond to it?

Obviously, it's not going to result in the same sort of response as the Red Wedding, given that audiences had 3 seasons to get behind the Starks before seeing their slaughter. But Oberyn has proven to be a popular character, not least of all thanks to Pedro Pascale's charismatic and sexy performance. And in this fight, the man has right on his side, at least as much as anyone in GOT has - not only is he defending an innocent (and fan favourite) man but he's avenging a brutally murdered sister. In traditional adventure literature, he'd be expected to emerge victorious and triumphant. Will audiences still be expecting such an outcome or will they remember Ramsay Snow's words - if you think this story has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention?
Oh, after Ned's execution and The Red Wedding, I'm sure the non-book-reading viewership is perfectly accustomed to the non-standard narrative structure of this series.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 03:49 PM   #2417
Brolan
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I wonder how gruesome the final moment will be. Will we actually see the Mountain crushing Viper's head in or will it cut away at the last second?
I thought he pulled Oberyn's jaw off?
Smashed his face in with his mailed fist if I recall correctly.
Old June 1 2014, 05:47 PM   #2418
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I wonder how gruesome the final moment will be. Will we actually see the Mountain crushing Viper's head in or will it cut away at the last second?
I thought he pulled Oberyn's jaw off?
Smashed his face in with his mailed fist if I recall correctly.
Thanks, I just had this image in my head of what I mentioned. That said, I think we're going to the the quick cut away with gruesome sound effect.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 04:26 AM   #2419
Brolan
Commodore

So much for the cut away theory. It couldn't have been more brutal than that.
Old June 4 2014, 11:40 AM   #2420
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Eight novels (or more)?

Martin's American publisher suggests it could happen, and his UK publisher thinks there are too many balls in the air for Martin to juggle them down by the end of seven books.

Are they floating a trial balloon to see what the reaction might be?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 11:55 AM   #2421
Scout101
Admiral

only reaction is to quit dicking around and write the damned books already. Don't care if it's 7, 8, whatever, just stop taking a decade off between books and wrap things up.

Only against the 8 (or more) structure if it means we get more wandering bullshit like Dragons was. First 3 books were nice and tight, which is what made them so popular. Don't let it go to your head and start fluffing them up...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2014, 02:09 PM   #2422
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Eight now???

Oy...we're never going to see the end of this story are we? The show is guaranteed to overtake the books now if true.
Old June 4 2014, 02:13 PM   #2423
Brolan
Commodore

I'm sure now we will not see the end of series in the books. Martin will die before that. The end will happen in the show.
Old June 4 2014, 03:13 PM   #2424
Dream
Admiral

I see Martin has been infected with the "I'm going to run my hit series into the ground because its so popular" disease. Robert Kirkman has also been infected with the same sickness.

Prepare yourself for the "Talking Thornes" talk show to follow each new GoT episode starting next year!
Old June 4 2014, 06:49 PM   #2425
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Damn, at this rate, the series will never end. Give us The Winds of Winter already, none of this "Oh, how about one more too wait for?" shit. Sheesh.

I commented on this in this week's review thread, but I figured I mention it here, too:

selina wrote: View Post
Edit: And there is another interview with Ian Glen here.
I find it interesting how he answers one particular question.
HBO: If you were on trial, who would you want on your side?

Iain Glen: Tyrion. He understands the way the world works. He's quick-witted and probably the smartest legal mind.
I wonder if he has read the books or knows what direction his character is going. If he hasn't or doesn't, then that's a great stroke of luck on his insight. Makes me all the more excited about the next season. I can't wait to watch Peter Dinklage and Iain Glen act off each other.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 02:49 AM   #2426
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
Prepare yourself for the "Talking Thornes" talk show to follow each new GoT episode starting next year!
I enjoyed Talking Bad in the last season of Breaking Bad. This should be fun.
Old June 5 2014, 03:00 AM   #2427
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I see Martin has been infected with the "I'm going to run my hit series into the ground because its so popular" disease.
His problems finishing the series predate the show. If one were to trace the source, I would suggest it lies in his whole approach to writing (the "gardener vs. architect" metaphor he's used many times); the world keeps expanding, and he seems to be struggling to to bring it to a resolution.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 02:44 PM   #2428
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

This isn't really news, let alone a trial balloon: Martin has been saying for years that seven books may not be enough. His interviews at the release of A Dance with Dragons in July 2011 are full of the same "I'm planning for seven, but wait till I've written them and see" answer he's giving now. The only reason it's drawing coverage at the moment is that journalists came across the Groell quote and saw the opportunity for attention-getting Game of Thrones headlines.
Old June 5 2014, 05:24 PM   #2429
Scout101
Admiral

Would have thought that the popularity of the show would have lit a fire under his ass to write a little faster so he could cash in, but thanks for the reminder that we're coming up on the 3rd anniversary of the last book, without any hint that the next one is even close enough to tease...

Honestly hope it kinda blows up on him. Show spoils his ending, people get less excited to buy his last couple books that end up releasing 5 years after the show goes off the air and just rehashes what they've already seen anyway, etc.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2014, 06:29 PM   #2430
Relayer1
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Would have thought that the popularity of the show would have lit a fire under his ass to write a little faster so he could cash in, but thanks for the reminder that we're coming up on the 3rd anniversary of the last book, without any hint that the next one is even close enough to tease...

Honestly hope it kinda blows up on him. Show spoils his ending, people get less excited to buy his last couple books that end up releasing 5 years after the show goes off the air and just rehashes what they've already seen anyway, etc.
So he doesn't get any goodwill for creating something you've obviously enjoyed, even if he's annoying you now ?

Eight books may not slow down the series anyway. How about if six and seven are huge (hard to imagine, I know !) so they are revised into three simply large volumes - the shorter six may be out sooner than expected.

Also, just because he hasn't finished six doesn't mean he hasn't got a substantial amount of seven (and eight) done already if he's been following his muse with certain characters.

He has already said he's told the showrunners how it all finishes. He has it all plotted and planned (if roughly) and if he wasn't able to complete the story, someone else will be able to finish the novels from these notes / comlpeted chapters, like the Wheel of Time series. It might not be quite the same written by someone else, but it'd be close enough...