Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 27 2014, 11:22 AM   #2281
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^Wow, that's impressive, though I'm afraid I won't be able to sit up to watch it!
Old March 27 2014, 11:48 AM   #2282
Scout101
Admiral

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
What kind of retarded series would it be if it DIDN'T end with them figuring out that the stuff down south didn't matter, needed to be resolved so they could focus on the real threat up north? Everything has built to that.
The kind where only some of the people realise they need to work together, and the others who still only care about the throne get destroyed in their hubris?
Which is one way of resolving the story down south to deal with the more important thing, like I said. Someone can win, they can call a truce to deal with it together, the smarter people can leave the south to go up to deal with things, leaving the idiots to die fighting for the throne, etc.

Really only difference is the aftermath, whether they go back to fighting after or if enough people die during the struggle that only one is left with a strong enough claim to take the throne...for now...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:39 AM   #2283
Brolan
Commodore

The throne still matters because someone has to be in charge if they defeat the white walkers. And likely it will be the one who least committed their forces to the North to be chewed up by the walkers.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:58 AM   #2284
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

Well if that's true, here's a question for all: who would you want to see on the Iron Throne when the dust settles? Not who do you think will be there, but who would you want it to be?

Tirion would be my first choice, both because he'd be good at it and it'd be fun to watch. After that, I'm not sure. Probably Arya.
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 04:19 AM   #2285
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I think Tommen would make a great king when he's older.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 09:28 AM   #2286
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I saw Two Swords on the big screen last night and IMHO its possibly the strongest season opener yet. Don't have time to write a full review now but would anyone be interested in a spoiler-ish review if I did one?
Old March 28 2014, 10:28 AM   #2287
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Brolan wrote: View Post
The throne still matters because someone has to be in charge if they defeat the white walkers.
No one has to be in charge of Westeros as a whole, it could be divided into seperate kingdoms again and that's how I think the series will end. Someone will sit on the iron throne but it will have lost most of its meaning, the new king/queen on the iron throne will probably just rule one of several kingdoms.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 12:41 AM   #2288
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
A Storm of Swords took two seasons because it actually needed them. Feast and Dance might have had similar page counts, but I honestly don't think either book was truly as deep as Storm was.
The stuff that was omitted from season one and two didn't really bother me but season three left out a lot of real character moments from Storm of Swords. Even though it only dealt with the first half of the book it seemed to cut out a lot of really great action and plot.

I believe that Seasons five, six, and some of seven will still be working on material from ADWD. The Winds of Winter will be released shortly, which will cover seasons seven and eight. That leaves the final novel for seasons nine and ten.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 01:10 AM   #2289
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
I believe that Seasons five, six, and some of seven will still be working on material from ADWD. The Winds of Winter will be released shortly, which will cover seasons seven and eight. That leaves the final novel for seasons nine and ten.
They've consistently said that the show will run for no more than eight seasons, and now they're saying they're aiming for seven seasons. Season five will most likely finish off Dance and get into at least some of Winds.
Old March 29 2014, 01:41 AM   #2290
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
They've consistently said that the show will run for no more than eight seasons, and now they're saying they're aiming for seven seasons. Season five will most likely finish off Dance and get into at least some of Winds.
Unless Martin has worked far beyond what he has consistently said, this will not be the case. There are at least ten seasons for this show.
Old March 29 2014, 01:46 AM   #2291
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Martin has no say in how long the show lasts.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2014, 01:47 AM   #2292
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Unless Martin has worked far beyond what he has consistently said, this will not be the case. There are at least ten seasons for this show.
Martin has told them in broad strokes what he plans for all of the storylines through to the end. The show will end before the book series does. That's now clear. The producers have specifically ruled out running the show for ten seasons. They've also ruled out suspending production to allow Martin time to catch up.
Old March 29 2014, 01:58 AM   #2293
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Martin has told them in broad strokes what he plans for all of the storylines through to the end. The show will end before the book series does. That's now clear. The producers have specifically ruled out running the show for ten seasons. They've also ruled out suspending production to allow Martin time to catch up.
Where is the link to this?
Old March 29 2014, 02:06 AM   #2294
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

There have been any number of interviews with the producers over the years where they've addressed these topics. Their most recent interviews in the run-up to season four's premiere are where they've spoken about their goal now being a seven-season show. It's been a major topic of conversation on fan sites for weeks now, and it was discussed earlier in this thread. Just Google "Game of Thrones seven seasons" and you'll find plenty on it.
Old March 29 2014, 03:08 AM   #2295
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

There have been any number of interviews with the producers over the years where they've addressed these topics. Their most recent interviews in the run-up to season four's premiere are where they've spoken about their goal now being a seven-season show. It's been a major topic of conversation on fan sites for weeks now, and it was discussed earlier in this thread. Just Google "Game of Thrones seven seasons" and you'll find plenty on it.
You also don't need links so much as recognizing this is real life and in real life a show doesn't suspend production for a couple years while books are written. They wouldn't be able to hold onto the actors that long. Seven or eight seasons sounds about right. Martin's just speaking nonsense, whether he realizes it's nonsense or not.