RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,847
Posts: 5,220,955
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 612
Newest member: glasssplashback

TrekToday headlines

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 18 2014, 09:53 PM   #2161
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

And, God forbid, there may be the possibility if one of GRRM's manuscripts gets too long, he'll split it up like he did before, only complicating matters even more.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:01 PM   #2162
Skywalker
Admiral
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
It's probably just the last book that might get passed over. If that does happen, I'll wait to read the book before I watch the end of the show.
That could be a long wait. If GRRM takes five or six years to get each of the sixth and seventh books out that would lead to the final book being published sometime between 2021 and 2023, while the show will end in 2018 if it runs for eight seasons.
I'm not worried about it. I read the first three books all the way back in 2002. I'm used to waiting. The books are the main appeal for me, not the show (although I do love the show). I don't want however the show ends to color my opinions of however the books end.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:02 PM   #2163
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

The writing of scripts for season six, which will be partially if not largely equivalent to The Winds of Winter, is now less than a year away. Martin's UK editor said recently that the book itself is "almost certainly years away." Barring an unprecedented increase in his writing speed or a delay for the TV show (which I've heard the producers have already ruled out), the show will overtake the books very soon. I'd say there's some (increasingly slim) chance that The Winds of Winter will be published before the season based on it airs, but the episodes will almost surely be written and filmed without access to the finished book.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:04 PM   #2164
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^^^
Yeah, I posted about the UK editor's tweets a little way back. That's what spurred this part of the discussion.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:19 PM   #2165
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^^I know; just reiterating it for those who don't follow the thread as obsessively as I do.

Once casting for season five is underway and we find out which new characters from Feast/Dance are (and more likely aren't) being cast, it'll be more clear how much and how fast they're condensing the story. I almost hope they're doing something radical, like dropping Aegon and having Dany be the one to invade in season five. What works about the slower pace of Feast and Dance would never translate to TV anyway, so why not push the boat out?
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:20 PM   #2166
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Instead talking about The Winds of Winter, fan should be talking about the books AFTER that. A Dream of Spring and maybe more books? Those books will be the real problem.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:20 PM   #2167
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
^^I know; just reiterating it for those who don't follow the thread as obsessively as I do.
Ah, I see. I thought you might have done some thread-skipping. Carry on.
Dream wrote: View Post
Instead talking about The Winds of Winter, fan should be talking about the books AFTER that. Those books will be the reason problem.
Hopefully it'll just be one book after Winds. There's not a hope in hell of the final book being published before the show ends, but even Winds could easily end up on screen, albeit perhaps in heavily modified form, before it's published.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:29 PM   #2168
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Martin uses a lot of archaic terms for armour, clothing, ship types etc., so obviously knows his subject, but there are a handful of terms he uses that seem out of place and jar with me when they occur. Can anyone advise me if they are in common use in the U.S. ?

Coz (cousin - I know it's in Shakespeare, but I can't recall hearing it used over here).
Bulled (as in pushed or forced).
Soldier Pines (trees)
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:50 PM   #2169
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

"Coz" is occasionally heard in the contemporary US, but I imagine Martin's usage is drawn from Shakespeare.

I can't recall ever having heard of the verb "to bull," but it's in US dictionaries without any notation on being rare or archaic.

"Soldier pines" is Martin's invention, like many of the tree names.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 10:53 PM   #2170
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I've heard "coz" in quite a few movies and TV shows. I've also heard the term to "bull your way through" something in real life.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 01:40 AM   #2171
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

They appear to be Martins own (coz excepted) rather than Americanism's that have 'snuck in' then. I'm pleased, because without using old English, he seems to have tried hard to write without modern inflections.
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 02:12 AM   #2172
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

He does have some language from "old-ish" English. One of the more stand-out examples being "nuncle" which he started using suddenly in the 4th book for some reason.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 05:17 PM   #2173
Tyberius
Commander
 
Tyberius's Avatar
 
Location: Twenty million die by fire if I am weak.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I figured "soldier pine" was a thinly branched pine. One that was easily climbable as opposed to one with small brambly branches.
Tyberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 11:10 PM   #2174
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

From an interview with Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran) in GQ:

GQ: Do you guys worry about catching up with George R.R. Martinís books?
Thatís interesting you say that because, in season four actually, a lot of the storylines are starting to be either sped up or slowed down and some people are nearly at the end of their storyline and others are way before. I guess itís Georgeís biggest fear, when the show catches up to him, which it inevitably will unless he gets the next book out. But I donít think weíre particularly worried about it because David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] know the ending. In a sense, we follow David and Dan rather than the books. Itís inevitable that things are going to get left out. In condensing the books, different storylines are made differently. Rather than the books, itís definitely the scripts and the producers for us.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 01:12 AM   #2175
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
^^I know; just reiterating it for those who don't follow the thread as obsessively as I do.

Once casting for season five is underway and we find out which new characters from Feast/Dance are (and more likely aren't) being cast, it'll be more clear how much and how fast they're condensing the story. I almost hope they're doing something radical, like dropping Aegon and having Dany be the one to invade in season five. What works about the slower pace of Feast and Dance would never translate to TV anyway, so why not push the boat out?
Urgh. No.

Fortunately, they aren't going to do something that stupid just because a portion of audience can't wait to see Dany and her DRAAAGONS invade Westeros. The fact that they are doing the Meereen story with Daario and Missandei as regulars for season 5, and with season 4 only going as far as
, lays that to rest.

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
If the TV show outstrips the books, I will watch the story unfold on the screen and then read the books when they are available.

I like how the trailers are revealing parts of the story while making viewers think something else. The 1st trailer makes it look like Dany is talking about the Lannisters and the 2nd one makes you think that Tyrion is talking about Jon's desire for justice.
And they also make it seem that Jon is talking about Robb and the betrayal by the Boltons, when actually he is talking about the Old Bear.

Overall, the trailers make the upcoming season look awesome, and very faithful to the books, minus some changes that follow from season 3 (Yara) or could have been or even were predicted because of the circumstances (lots of people had guessed that Bronn would take the place of Ilyn Payne as Jaime's sparring partner). I just hope the actual season lives up to the trailers.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm fairly confident we'll get The Winds of Winter before the show overtakes the books.
I think there's a very good chance the show will get into at least some material, if not a whole lot of it, from Winds before it's published. It looks like they're going to massively condense and speed through Feast and Dance. I think Dany will be in Westeros by season 5.
Nope. She won't. See above.

It's probably just the last book that might get passed over. If that does happen, I'll wait to read the book before I watch the end of the show.
That could be a long wait. If GRRM takes five or six years to get each of the sixth and seventh books out that would lead to the final book being published sometime between 2021 and 2023, while the show will end in 2018 if it runs for eight seasons.
There's no reason for that to happen. It took him so long to finish Feast and Dance because he had to scrap the 5 year gap and to deal with the Meerenese knot. None of this is the case now.

I think that they may borrow some minor stuff from tWoW - the parts GRRM has already written - for some characters in season 5; and they may do one of the two big battles that are going to happen in WoW, but I can't see them doing both of them in season 5. If nothing else, than for budgetary reasons.

If WoW is published in 2015, or early in 2016, the show will not overtake the books with tWoW, but we must accept the high probability that it will be finished before aDoS is published. That doesn't mean that D&D will not get to read GRRM's manuscripts before they do the scripts.
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.