Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 10 2014, 03:57 PM   #2146
Q2UnME
Commodore

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^You might want to edit your post, because your spoiler tags are not working properly!

Awesome 15 minute teaser - SOOOO stoked for April!

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 11:24 PM   #2147
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

About three weeks ago Martin's UK publisher tweeted that The Winds of Winter is "almost certainly years away", then deleted that tweet but let one stand saying it certainly won't be published this year. Since the TV producers have said they're aiming at a seven- or eight-season show and there won't be any production slowdowns to allow the books to catch up, it's pretty much a done deal that the TV show will finish before the book series.
Old February 17 2014, 12:08 AM   #2148
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
About three weeks ago Martin's UK publisher tweeted that The Winds of Winter is "almost certainly years away", then deleted that tweet but let one stand saying it certainly won't be published this year. Since the TV producers have said they're aiming at a seven- or eight-season show and there won't be any production slowdowns to allow the books to catch up, it's pretty much a done deal that the TV show will finish before the book series.
His last update on the TWOW progress was during some interview last March, when he said it was about 1/4 done. There were no updates on his blog for more than a year. I'd be very surprised if it comes out before 2016.

Considering the quality of the last two books, I'm OK with the TV show finishing first.
Old February 17 2014, 12:26 AM   #2149
Dream
Admiral

That's what happens when you start doing a movie/show based on a novel series that is still not done yet. You get the hype of a popular book series that hasn't finished yet, but you have to eat the risk that the movie/show will overtake the book in terms to story in a few years.

That constantly happens in Japanese anime. Show writers have to constantly write crappy filler episodes that has nothing to do with the books, until the books have enough new material for the show to animate. Filler has be known to get shows canceled.

Obviously you can't do that with GOT.
Old February 17 2014, 05:16 AM   #2150
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Shurik wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
His last update on the TWOW progress was during some interview last March, when he said it was about 1/4 done. There were no updates on his blog for more than a year. I'd be very surprised if it comes out before 2016.

Considering the quality of the last two books, I'm OK with the TV show finishing first.
I'd rather read the books first but I have no problem with HBO finishing the series first. If the threat of having the TV show finish before the book series couldn't motivate GRRM to move his ass and stop reveling in world-building, that's his problem. HBO is not going to coddle him like this publishers and editor have.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 05:31 AM   #2151
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Question is, are they going to go it on their own or are they going to write it with the support and blessing of GRRM?
Old February 17 2014, 06:15 AM   #2152
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Question is, are they going to go it on their own or are they going to write it with the support and blessing of GRRM?
Probably a combination. They know in broad strokes where GRRM intends to take all of the various storylines. They'll likely deviate from the books to an increasing degree, while hitting many of the key plot points GRRM has laid out. Quite how much they veer away from the books will be very interesting to see.

Here's a new trailer for season four that's just been released:

Old February 17 2014, 09:49 AM   #2153
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The way he writes means that he has chapters written for the last book already, and some storylines for the next book are already in place waiting for the rest of them to be finished so they can be polished up together. If he is on a roll with one character he just keeps writing them, even if it means getting far ahead of the rest of the PoVs. Some already written chapters have also been pushed back to later books, so by the time they have to start writing scripts for the 5th or 6th season he will have at least a patchwork of the next book he could make available to them.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2014, 10:13 AM   #2154
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The major storylines will be available to the producers, yes, but we're going to hit a point where those storylines, albeit in perhaps heavily modified form, unfold on screen before they're published. And that may happen sooner rather than later since it looks like they're going to go through Feast and Dance in a very speedy fashion.
Old February 17 2014, 10:42 AM   #2155
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It's unlikely the book series will be finished in their own right so it might end up that the final books (if they are written) are taken from the TV series instead of the other way round.
Old February 17 2014, 11:01 AM   #2156
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I doubt it. Martin knows where the books are going, he just has issues connecting the dots after letting the story get larger than he originally intended. He may be inspired by certain moments or the use of certain characters in ways he didn't originally imagine, but as an avid opponent of fan fiction I suspect he may actually just skip the last couple seasons lest he borrow anything accidentally and suddenly find his sole authorship of the series questioned.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 04:25 PM   #2157
Kosh Naranek
Captain

If the TV show outstrips the books, I will watch the story unfold on the screen and then read the books when they are available.

I like how the trailers are revealing parts of the story while making viewers think something else. The 1st trailer makes it look like Dany is talking about the Lannisters and the 2nd one makes you think that Tyrion is talking about Jon's desire for justice.

The production values seem to go up and up.
Old February 18 2014, 07:49 PM   #2158
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I do hope we at least get Winds of Winter before the series overtakes the books. We should have at least 1 or 2 more seasons after this at the most before that happens. Although at the speed that some of the storylines have been moving (out of order from the books), it may not be more than a single season before catch-up happens.
Old February 18 2014, 08:47 PM   #2159
Skywalker
Admiral

I'm fairly confident we'll get The Winds of Winter before the show overtakes the books. It's probably just the last book that might get passed over. If that does happen, I'll wait to read the book before I watch the end of the show.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 09:05 PM   #2160
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I'm fairly confident we'll get The Winds of Winter before the show overtakes the books.
I think there's a very good chance the show will get into at least some material, if not a whole lot of it, from Winds before it's published. It looks like they're going to massively condense and speed through Feast and Dance. I think Dany will be in Westeros by season 5.

It's probably just the last book that might get passed over. If that does happen, I'll wait to read the book before I watch the end of the show.
That could be a long wait. If GRRM takes five or six years to get each of the sixth and seventh books out that would lead to the final book being published sometime between 2021 and 2023, while the show will end in 2018 if it runs for eight seasons.