TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 22 2013, 06:06 PM   #1981
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

To have Jon or Dany on the iron throne would be too predictable, I hope both have more interesting fates than that. Especially because they're the two most traditional fantasy characters GRRM has written. It's why they're 2 of the most popular.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 09:09 PM   #1982
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I think Jon will become the King beyond the Wall...

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2013, 11:17 PM   #1983
CaptainCanada
Admiral

That's pretty much a defunct office now. The Wildlings are done as a distinct culture, whatever happens. They've crossed the Wall and sworn allegiance to the throne, and are talking about settling. That's a mammoth cultural shift.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 03:06 PM   #1984
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I assume Jon will stay with the Night's Watch, or leave the physical plain of existence after fulfilling his messianic duties as Azor Ahai.
Old July 23 2013, 05:14 PM   #1985
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I suspect neither the watch or the wall will exist by the end of the series.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 05:16 PM   #1986
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Hopefully The Windows of Winter ends with the Wall falling.

Though I have a horrible feeling it will end with Victarion and Dany arriving at Meereen.
Old July 23 2013, 05:26 PM   #1987
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Victarion arrives at Meereen in one of the already-released preview chapters from the beginning of the book, so you don't need to worry about that. Dany may take longer... if she goes back to Meereen at all, which I'm beginning to wonder about.
Old July 23 2013, 05:33 PM   #1988
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Ah, I aint read 'em just yet in case they're the last A Song of Ice and Fire we ever get. I'm fairly sure we'll probably get Winds of Winter. The final book though? I have my very strong doubts.

The show is ended this story. Bank on it.
Old July 23 2013, 05:45 PM   #1989
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I don't really doubt he'll finish the series-- even if it takes three more books written at the creeping pace of the last dozen years, he won't even be 80, which isn't really that old by the standards of modern millionaire medicine. Barring a miracle the show will get there first, but the books will be along eventually. Unless Martin gets hit by a bus or something, but that could happen with any series at any time.
Old July 23 2013, 06:05 PM   #1990
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ He ain't the healthiest person in the world, though, God bless him. I wouldn't wish an untimely end on anyone, but I fear his blood-to-Crisco ratio may be his undoing before the finale is complete. I really hope he has an outline written down in a vault somewhere that can be opened and used (at the very least, by the show), to bring about a decent as-intended-by-the-writer ending. GRRM designating an heir-apparent to finishing the written stories may also be a smart idea as well.
Old July 23 2013, 06:07 PM   #1991
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I hope George lives until a ripe old age but given that Mel Smith, James Gandolfini and Dennis Farina have all recently died before hitting 70, I wouldn't be so sanguine about the link between wealth and longevity.
Old July 23 2013, 06:13 PM   #1992
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Martin said that no one will finish the books if he, God forbid, dies before he could finish them. The story will die with him.

I think TWOW will be out someday, late 2015 at the earliest, but I too seriously doubt that we'll see the end of the story in the books, not because of health issues, but because he'll completely lose any interest he still has in writing when the TV show catches up with him and finishes the story before him. The ending of the TV show will probably be the canon.
Old July 23 2013, 06:15 PM   #1993
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

George has stated a hundred times in interviews that he can only write at home. Due to having become a megastar in the past 2 years, he's never at home. He recently stated he was only a quarter of the way through the next book, which is likely in of itself an exaggeration judging by his past claims on the progress on A Dance With Dragons.

I think there's a very fair chance the books won't be finished, and to save myself some serious disappointment I'm going along with that for now.
Old July 23 2013, 06:31 PM   #1994
Shurik
Fleet Captain

He recently stated he was only a quarter of the way through the next book, which is likely in of itself an exaggeration judging by his past claims on the progress on A Dance With Dragons.
And two years have passed since ADWD was released. Extrapolation is a tricky thing and pretty worthless when dealing with writing, but 1/4 of a book in 2 years doesn't sound particularly good. Especially if part of this are the chapters he cut from ADWD which will probably be rewritten beyond recognition by the time he finishes the book.
Old July 23 2013, 06:38 PM   #1995
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Obviously wealth isn't a guarantee of anything; if you have a sudden massive heart attack (Smith, Gandolfini) or a pulmonary embolism as a cancer complication (Farina) treatment options are limited. My point is that for treatable, non-sudden illness, wealth opens a great many doors. It won't necessarily save you; Robert Jordan didn't even make it to the median life expectancy for someone with his illness. But let's not pretend that naming a few rich people who died young disproves a connection between wealth and longevity. Or, for that matter, that being visibly overweight automatically creates a major health risk. If we want to be morbid about it, anyone can die at any time with no warning. I also doubt that, after committing twenty years of his life and counting to this project, he'll suddenly get bored because a stripped-down version of the story is told in another medium.

But if people would rather be pessimistic, I'm fine with that; I've spent the past two years encouraging people not to imagine that The Winds of Winter would come out before 2015. Even then, though, I don't see any reason to doubt the quarter-done claim; he had enough pages, including drafts, for that to be true at this time last year. I don't know whether "a quarter done" is based on his usual measure of (nominally) finalized chapters only. He consistently misestimated how much time it would take him to complete Feast and Dance, which is why he stopped making such estimates, but he's never made an exaggerated claim about how much was done that I know of.

The quarter-done quote, by the way, came at a TV show red-carpet event in mid-March, and Martin didn't start work on The Winds of Winter until early 2012. So it's more like 1/4 in 1.25 years, discounting the stuff left over from Dance. At that pace, Winds would take about as long to finish as Dance, which had even more leftovers to start with. To be frank, though, even that's misleading, since much of Martin's work in 2012 was on finishing his contribution to the world book, for which he produced about 250,000 words, five times what was originally intended, so much that even after splitting some of it off into a novella for his Dangerous Women anthology, more had to be put aside for use in a possible future encyclopedia-type volume.

Last edited by Brendan Moody; July 23 2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: math fail
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote