Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 9 2013, 11:07 PM   #1621
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Wonder if the ratings drop since the last episode?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 03:38 PM   #1622
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

So yeah, some more small to big changes to the story this ep.

- Stannis' redemptive decision to head to the Wall is the opposite of redemptive.
- Jaime and Brienne arrive in King's Landing before the Purple Wedding, wonder how they're going to work around that? Just have Loras throw Brienne in the dungeons until after?
- Bran never gets Sam to promise not to tell Jon where he's going.

Anything else?
Old June 10 2013, 04:09 PM   #1623
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

It's been obvious since last year that the producers don't "get" Stannis, and somehow think it's more interesting if he's yet another ruthless schemer rather than a study in the ambiguities of having a rigid sense of right and wrong.

Martin considered a lot of timelines for Jamie and Brienne's arrival in King's Landing. At one point they were to get there not only before the Purple Wedding but before the Red Wedding; you can still see evidence of that due to an error in the finished chapter, where Tywin and Jaime briefly talk about Catelyn as though she's still alive. I imagine it'll be easy enough to keep Brienne and Jaime occupied until after the wedding.

I'm more surprised that they played out the whole Dragonstone story this year. Granted, there was no other way to give it a real conclusion, but now they have nothing to do next year until Stannis gets to the Wall, unless they invent a scene where he grinds an infant's bones to make his bread.
Old June 10 2013, 04:41 PM   #1624
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Stannis has been dumbed down for the TV viewers to the point where he's unrecognisable. A similar thing has happened to Tyrion in that he's way too nice in the show. I can't actually imagine him killing Shae in cold blood.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 05:03 PM   #1625
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Not to mention that Shae herself is unrecognizable. All she has done all season is frown and grumble. Her betrayal doesn't seem at all surprising considering how little we've actually seen them together of late(and how little of that has been a positive interaction), and makes her turning down Varys free bag of diamonds look positively schizoid.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 05:55 PM   #1626
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

As I look back at this season, it really sticks out how poorly the show has handled the overall scope of the story. Each plotline seemed to be occurring in isolation, with virtually no reaction to happenings in the others. Until this week, no one in King's Landing ever mentioned Robb's marriage, an event of enormous strategic significance; it was darn near impossible to tell the Lannisters were fighting a war at all, since all the writers could think to do with all the added screen time for those characters was drag out Tyrell/Lannister wrangling that has at least two more seasons to go. Meanwhile, the ironborn apparently sat on their hands all season, until it was time to remind the audience that they hold the North. Robb appears to have forgotten that too, since he made no mention of it, and instead of reclaiming his homeland planned for an attack on Casterly Rock(!). And, of course, Theon had to be isolated from everything else, so they could hold for the finale the underwhelming reveal that his captor is a character who means nothing much to the TV audience anyway. The show is often praised for managing such a large cast and story, but that's easy if all you have to do is divide it into several barely-connected chunks.
Old June 10 2013, 06:16 PM   #1627
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
- Jaime and Brienne arrive in King's Landing before the Purple Wedding, wonder how they're going to work around that? Just have Loras throw Brienne in the dungeons until after?
On the show, Loras never suspected Brienne in the first place.
So that little sideplot has already been dealt with.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 08:20 PM   #1628
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I can't believe how much filler we've had this season at the expense of crucial character beats like Jaime's dream. So many pointless scenes going over the same stuff. Joffrey is getting married? Yeah, I fucking get it. Now can the plot move forward? Where the fuck even is Mace Tyrell? Well why introduce him when we can have pointless Theon torture sequences. Every week! Ones that aren't even half as interesting as the actual Reek plot in A Clash of Kings we should have had last season.

The characters themselves are bafflingly adapted. Arya kills her first man a year too late, Stannis is COMPLETELY out of character to the point that I have no idea why Davos likes him, Mance Rayder is some bland growly cunt with none of the eccentricities of his book counterpart, and don't even get me fucking STARTED on the Tyrion and Sansa marriage.

But the dumbass casual audience will still whoop and declare every episode as "Epic win!" if tits are shown.

Season 1 was such an excellent adaptation. What happened? Still, I hope they at least get the Fake Arya/Jeyne Poole plot right as it's one of my favourite things in the series. Wait, they didn't include Jeyne in Season 1!? Fuuuuuuuck.

I both love and hate this show. A damn shame it's now part of macho alpha-male culture.
Old June 10 2013, 09:14 PM   #1629
Lonemagpie
Writer

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Stannis has been dumbed down for the TV viewers to the point where he's unrecognisable. A similar thing has happened to Tyrion in that he's way too nice in the show. I can't actually imagine him killing Shae in cold blood.
TBH I can't see how they can go with that arc- I can't see the TV Shae banging Tywin, or Tyrion killing her for it.

On the upside, maybe we'll get lucky and they decide to keep Tywin in the show for longer, cos Charles Fucking Dance (yeah, that's his full name) is a god among men

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:16 PM   #1630
Lonemagpie
Writer

The characters themselves are bafflingly adapted.
I don't mind most of the changes, because they're going to have to tell the story more chronologically than in the books - but their version of Daario Naharis is definitely one that bugs the shit out of me - where's our blue-haired pirate?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 09:48 PM   #1631
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'm a Tolkien fanatic yet can still enjoy Jackson's movies so I'm not averse to changes in adaptatons. I love Return of the King and it completely skipped the houses of healing and the Scourine of the Shire, two of my favourite elements from Lord of the Rings.

...but not having Tyrion kill Shae and Tywin would be real cowardice from the showrunners. Charles Dance as Tywin is the biggest badass on television to be sure, but some things have to be kept sacred.

At least they killed Ros this year.
Old June 10 2013, 09:50 PM   #1632
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

...but not having Tyrion kill Shae and Tywin would be real cowardice from the showrunners.
I love the use of the word cowardice when they just stabbed a pregnant woman in the belly. I know what you mean, but it's still funny.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2013, 10:35 PM   #1633
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I don't mind most of the changes, because they're going to have to tell the story more chronologically than in the books - but their version of Daario Naharis is definitely one that bugs the shit out of me - where's our blue-haired pirate?
Pretty much all eccentricities and idiosyncrasies have been removed from the supporting characters and made into more generic archetypes who could be interchanged with one another. Sometimes, it doesn't really affect it that much, IE despite losing his leech fetish and creepy way of whispering, Roose Bolton has still been made into a merciless and cruel villain, while other times, it's a big fucking deal, IE fuckin' Mance and Tormund being interchangable as generic tough guys.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
I love the use of the word cowardice when they just stabbed a pregnant woman in the belly. I know what you mean, but it's still funny.
Well, indeed, it does sound a little funny, but the cowardice is not in willingness to depict terrible actions; it's the willingness to depict characters they want the audience to like committing terrible actions. Black Walder stabbing a pregnant woman?? No problem, just adds to the audience's hatred and anger at the Freys.

But since the beginning, Tyrion has consistently and constantly been whitewashed. When it started in S1 (removing him breaking Marillion's fingers, leaving out that he finished off with Tysha after Tywin's men did), they were minor details in a point in the narrative in which Tyrion IS pretty much "a good guy." But after the acclaim of Tyrion in S1, the character has had all negative qualities and actions (beyond very general, very lite "he drinks a bit too much and likes prostitutes, except he doesn't cause he has his hooker with a heart of gold") removed bit by bit to the extent that when it does come down to what happens at the end of ASoS, they're either going to have to change it or it will seem incredibly out-of-character for the Shining Knight they've made him in S2/3.
Old June 11 2013, 12:43 AM   #1634
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Where the fuck even is Mace Tyrell?
You'll get him next season, don't worry. The casting call is already out.
The showrunners have to juggle a budget so they cast characters when they actually need them. No one needed Mace this season.

The characters themselves are bafflingly adapted. Arya kills her first man a year too late,
Which is fine by me. If given the choice between her killing a random ass guard in Harrenhall or one of the Frey soldiers bragging about creating Robbwind, I'd always choose the latter.
It's just more poignant and satisfying while still being as horrifying as the Harrenhall kill.

But the dumbass casual audience will still whoop and declare every episode as "Epic win!" if tits are shown.
I get that you're really passionate about the books but that's no reason to degrade Unsullied viewers like that. Come on, man.

Wait, they didn't include Jeyne in Season 1!? Fuuuuuuuck.
Right, because they didn't need her.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 01:32 AM   #1635
Anwar
Vice Admiral

And let's be honest, there's no way the audience would ever be able to take Daario's book description seriously and it would Dany look like an even bigger dummy for being attracted to him than in the books.

Heck, the fact that they made TV Jorah Mormont way more handsome and charismatic is having folks wonder why Dany isn't remotely attracted to him.

As for the dreams and flashbacks, some of them had to be cut out because the televised versions would've revealed too much compared to the books. Making a visual version of Ned's final moments with Lyanna would've made it too clear what happened to her, and Dany's visions in the House of the Undying would've been too obvious in the visual mediums to the audience.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote