RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,843
Posts: 5,220,473
Members: 24,229
Currently online: 716
Newest member: lagrangecalv

TrekToday headlines

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 5 2013, 10:20 PM   #1576
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

That is a terrible idea. Just don't watch if you don't want to know what happens, it'll be different from what ends up in the book either way. You can't just slap a different ending on it an expect it'll be anywhere near as good as the ending that was intended from the start.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 10:22 PM   #1577
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Judging by the quality of AFFC and ADWD, I think I prefer the show's treatment of the story, however blasphemous it might sound.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:14 PM   #1578
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral
 
Evil Twin's Avatar
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Oh, I'm hoping they do some major editing of those two. I mean, is anyone really going to care if Quentyn Martell and his Pointless Storyline of Pointlessness is cut from the show entirely?
__________________
My DVD Collection
Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:18 PM   #1579
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm hoping they do some major editing of those two. I mean, is anyone really going to care if Quentyn Martell and his Pointless Storyline of Pointlessness is cut from the show entirely?
Or the entire Dorne plot, for that matter.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:20 PM   #1580
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

And the Ironborn. No one needs that stupid horn anyway.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:20 PM   #1581
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
Judging by the quality of AFFC and ADWD, I think I prefer the show's treatment of the story, however blasphemous it might sound.
You say that based on how great their original storylines have been on the show so far I assume? Dany's plot in season 2 was a nearly complete waste of time and Talisa was just a quick way of giving Robb a wife so they could skip actually having to give him a plot.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:24 PM   #1582
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Quentyn's story isn't pointless in the books, and it's not even one of the prime offenders in being overlong for its narrative relevance (hello twelve chapters of Tyrion getting kicked around the map of Essos), but it's something they might well want to remove for the show. On the other hand, it's about a twenty-something male, and Benioff and Weiss seem to think those are the most important characters in the story, so who knows?

My only worry about the show's approach to Feast and Dance is that it might try to spruce up storylines rather than compress them, as with Daenerys in season 2. That wasn't pretty.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:30 PM   #1583
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
Judging by the quality of AFFC and ADWD, I think I prefer the show's treatment of the story, however blasphemous it might sound.
You say that based on how great their original storylines have been on the show so far I assume?
Yes, but also how they've handled the existing stories. One of the great benefits of Game of Thrones as a TV series is it never feels the need to spend ages explaining what people are wearing or what they're eating, or focus on the vagaries of their traveling itinerary. For most of the narrative it's cut right to the meat of the subject - and there is perhaps an interesting story for Jon and Dany - and maybe even Tyrion, though that's doubtful - lost somewhere beneath the tome of words.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:31 PM   #1584
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
Judging by the quality of AFFC and ADWD, I think I prefer the show's treatment of the story, however blasphemous it might sound.
You say that based on how great their original storylines have been on the show so far I assume? Dany's plot in season 2 was a nearly complete waste of time and Talisa was just a quick way of giving Robb a wife so they could skip actually having to give him a plot.
Still better than whatever Brienne, Sam, every Dornish POV, Tyrion, Dany, Quentyn and everyone in Essos did in AFFC and ADWD. I'd rather have them invent another Talisa than keep any of those plotlines on the show.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:34 PM   #1585
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

In case some of you were wondering why westeros.org has had issues these past few days, one of the site's staff posted this helpful graph on the site:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...48818190_n.jpg

He also claimed that most of the bandwidth was to the wiki. So I guess there's a lot of people deliberately spoiling themselves right now.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:34 PM   #1586
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Quentyn was frustrating, no doubt, because while he certainly had an impact on the plot it didn't feel like one that was worth POVing. I don't get the hate for most of the last couple books though other than the overlong travelogue of a couple characters. Any time spent with Tyrion is time well spent as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:41 PM   #1587
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Any time spent with Tyrion is time well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Where do whores go?

God, the pacing of the Tyrion stuff was just fucking atrocious. It's not going to get a lot better in the TV series - look at how slowly Theon's non-plot evolves this year and you can get an idea of how difficult it'll be to make Tyrion interesting. I guess their best hope is to put more focus on his chance encounter with Griff and maybe have him actually reach Dany at the end of it, assuming Martin ever intends that meeting to happen.

Really though the issues with the last two books are the problems with Martin's preferred method of writing the series becoming more transparent. He's very wedded to the idea of focusing in just set POVs, which is why we know more about Tyrion's languorous journey faffing about Essos than we do what the Tyrells are actually up to. One of the benefits of the show is it's never been as wholly wedded to this idea.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2013, 11:50 PM   #1588
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I think the last 2 books have been excellent. Not quite as good as the first 3, but still very impressive novels that set the standard for fantasy fiction.

I think the show suffers for being a streamlined portrayal of only the key events (Plus pointless nudity and sex scenes of course!). I like the novels for the smaller details that often don't make the cut for the show.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 12:09 AM   #1589
InklingStar
Fleet Captain
 
InklingStar's Avatar
 
Location: Olympia, Washington, USA
View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm hoping they do some major editing of those two. I mean, is anyone really going to care if Quentyn Martell and his Pointless Storyline of Pointlessness is cut from the show entirely?
Or the entire Dorne plot, for that matter.
The Dornish plot in AFfC is one of my favorites. The idea of Doran being the brains of the plots while Oberyn is the face, the shifting plans to ally with first Viserys, then Dany, then finally Young Griff, the haphazard plot to crown Myrcella... there is a lot of stuff happening there.

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."
__________________
"In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst."
InklingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2013, 12:22 AM   #1590
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

and DAAAAARKSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! HE IS OF THE NIGHT!
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.