TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 11 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
DC - Convergence Spring Event

Since Convergence isn't part of the "New" 52, I thought I'd give it a separate thread.

Announcing Convergence:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56803

Ten titles revealed:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56990

I stopped reading DC Comics when the New 52 was released, for the simple reason that none of the title descriptions or stories held any interest for me.

But this... even if it's only for a moment in time, is a return to characters I enjoyed. And there are promises of other peeks at the old DC multiverse. I can't wait.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 12:56 AM   #2
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: DC - Convergence Spring Event

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Since Convergence isn't part of the "New" 52, I thought I'd give it a separate thread.

Announcing Convergence:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56803

Ten titles revealed:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56990

I stopped reading DC Comics when the New 52 was released, for the simple reason that none of the title descriptions or stories held any interest for me.

But this... even if it's only for a moment in time, is a return to characters I enjoyed. And there are promises of other peeks at the old DC multiverse. I can't wait.
This looks cool. The new 52 hasn't been very good, but this seems like a breif view of the DC Comics I really liked, so I'll definitely be checking it out.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Santa Riker
Commodore

Yeah, I'm definitely going to check it out. Who knows, maybe if the sales are good enough, DC will finally see the mistake they made.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Santa Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 01:33 AM   #4
AgentDreidel
Fleet Captain

Location: AgentCoop...Chillin' in the Black Lodge since June 10th, 1991
View AgentDreidel's Twitter Profile

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely going to check it out. Who knows, maybe if the sales are good enough, DC will finally see the mistake they made.
This does feel to me like they're testing the waters for the Pre-New 52 DCU to return in some capacity. The New 52 did some things I liked, but it did plenty more things that I didn't. It'll be awesome to see "my" DCU again, even if it's just for a brief time.

Oh, and this blurb for the Harley Quinn book may be one of the greatest things I've ever read: "Harley Quinn is enjoying her normal life under the dome until Catwoman and Poison Ivy draft her to fight Captain Carrot."
AgentDreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 02:30 AM   #5
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

I only followed the GL series with some regularity, and I lost interest in that when the Relic arc was introduced. Since when does Harley have a "normal" life anyway?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 03:08 AM   #6
theenglish
Rear Admiral

It'll be wonderful to see MY DC universe of 1982 again!

Seriously though, the tie in two Flashpoint makes me think that there is going to be something beyond this series that connects the new 52 to the old universe. This could very well be the new 52s Zero Hour.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
It'll be wonderful to see MY DC universe of 1982 again!

Seriously though, the tie in two Flashpoint makes me think that there is going to be something beyond this series that connects the new 52 to the old universe. This could very well be the new 52s Zero Hour.
That makes me wonder if there are any stories or storylines in the new 62 that tie into or lead into Convergence.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Old November 12 2014, 05:34 AM   #8
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

This looks really fun.

I've only kept up with Justice League, Action Comics Superman, Batman and Robin and Green Lantern for New 52 and I've enjoyed it so far.

I don't know why people dislike New 52. Before the 2011, the DC titles were being crushed by decades of continuity (the previous reboot was in 1986) and some lousy solo titles. New 52 was a shot in the arm to take things back to basics.

EDIT TO ADD
http://multiversitycomics.com/news/f...-return-to-dc/

Superman, Speed Force, Titans, JLA, Batman and Robin and Nightwing/Oracle are the titles I am most excited for.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; November 12 2014 at 06:53 AM.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 04:40 PM   #9
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
This does feel to me like they're testing the waters for the Pre-New 52 DCU to return in some capacity.
It's not. It's entirely due to DC HQ (including their editorial division) moving from the East Coast in NYC to the West Coast (in Burbank) and losing a sizable amount of staff in the process that they decided to throw together this event (using outside staff) essentially as a stopgap while they reorient themselves.

M.A.C.O. wrote: View Post
I don't know why people dislike New 52.
It's a combination of nostalgia, people hating change and people loving to complain.
Old November 12 2014, 04:57 PM   #10
sojourner
Admiral

What is "The Dome" referred to in some of the blurbs?
Old November 12 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
What is "The Dome" referred to in some of the blurbs?
This link gives a little more detail on Convergence.

http://www.newsarama.com/22619-conve...champions.html

The story begins with Convergence #0 on April 1 written by Jeff King and Dan Jurgens, and drawn by Ethan Van Sciver, the same day that Earth 2: World’s End and Futures End, two of DC Comics current world and timeline eschewing weekly series both end. In the 89 issues, Brainiac, as seen recently in Futures End, has been taking cities in bottles, as has been his modus operandi for some time - but this time he’s taking them from timelines and planets that are dying, not just from one universe. The bottle cities from throughout DC’s multiverse of multiverses (omniverse?) will be brought together on one world outside of the DC Universe’s traditional time and space, all opened, and observed. Most likely, that world is the Blood Moon that recently debuted in the pages of Futures End.
My guess is the Dome are Brainiac's bottles being opened.
Old December 3 2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

There are more details available on the first four weeks of Convergence. I am getting more and more excited.

http://www.comicosity.com/dc-comics-...n-convergence/

Last edited by Vendikarr; December 3 2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 3 2014, 04:45 PM   #13
kirk55555
Commodore

I'm really excited for this event. I hope its as good as it looks. Either way, its the most excited I've been for DC Comics since 2011.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2014, 04:49 AM   #14
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I am looking forward to not spending money on DC for two months. Unless this is the end of the new 52 and a return to previous continuity then I would rather read old stories with the same characters that I love and that are much better written.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2014, 05:32 AM   #15
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

I would not require the end of the new versions. I accept that those versions have their own fanbase, and I don't want to alienate them, as those before my time were alienated in such a way as got me aboard the DC fandom. In 2011, I learned first-hand how they felt about losing - in any sense - what they'd grown up with starting back in 1985.

My preferred versions can co-exist in the larger multiverse. Having that option again was part of why the multiverse was revived, right?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote