Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Should the Sarah Jane Adventures continue?
Yes, they should find a way 23 28.75%
No, let it end as it is 57 71.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 20 2011, 03:16 PM   #1
EJA
Fleet Captain

Should the Sarah Jane Adventures continue?

In light of the tragic news of Elisabeth Sladen's untimely death, I'm wondering whether they should end the series now, or, as other people have suggested, bring in a new character or another classic series ex-companion to replace Sarah. Personally, I favour the former option. I loved the show, but it simply wouldn't be the same without Lis.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 03:20 PM   #2
EJA
Fleet Captain

Re: Should the Sarah Jane Adventures continue?

Well it's already been brought up elsewhere.
Old April 20 2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Novelist Jon Blum ponders the question on his blog; he thinks the show should carry on, in some capacity, in the way that Ashes to Ashes carried on from Life on Mars.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 03:28 PM   #4
wamdue
Admiral

I say yes it should continue in some form, but this series should be limited to whats filmed already and a specfic tribute thing.
Old April 20 2011, 04:22 PM   #5
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

I believe that Elisabeth Sladen had the energy and the strength to make the show work in the first place. For that reason if they replaced her even with another ex-companion, it would be a shadow of its former self - a hollow exercise which would not last long.

What they should do is give some of the young cast members a couple of seasons in the Tardis. With the pain they're in, they'll be needing a Doctor.
BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

There is certainly enough chemistry between the other actors to fuel an ongoing show but it's just so sad to think of the characters carrying on without her.

Should they 'regenerate' her as a different actress like they did in Lexx and obviously the Time Lord characters? I'm not so sure. I'd love the character to live on somehow but she isn't a Time Lord and some might think of it as being disrespectful. I'm not sure that Lis Sladen would have thought of it that way mind you, since the character (as well as the actress) has brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of children.

I do recall a young actress who at the time I thought, gosh she looks like a young Lis Sladen. Shame I can't recall who she was!

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Ood Sigma
Commander

I want the show to continue because I love it, but ultimately I think it's time for it to end. The kids are getting too old and it just won't be the same without Sarah Jane. Having said that, I'd love for any or all of them to show up on Doctor Who in either a guest or a recurring role (especially Luke or Clyde).

Definitely looking forward to the final 3 stories being broadcast, and possibly they could wrap the series up in some way with a final story that doesn't involve SJS, but honors her and yet makes it clear that she is still, in-universe, alive and well.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
23skidoo
Admiral

According to Blum's blog, the first four episodes and the final two of the season were filmed. This is a good thing, because that means the final story of the season would have a finale feel to it anyway.

But the fact remains this is a popular show and the supporting cast deserve to continue in some way. Obviously not as The Sarah Jane Adventures (and I'll drop a TARDIS on anyone who suggests recasting!) but they could call it 13 Bannerman Road and have Clyde, Rani and a new third character (I believe Luke had been written out by this point anyway) carry on Sarah Jane's mission. The connection to the franchise would be maintained perhaps by keeping K-9 (if there isn't an issue with the Australian series), or by having Katy Manning make occasional appearances as Jo, since she has already been re-established. Sadly, there aren't too many earth-based companions who actually ended up back on earth. Liz Shaw, yes, but after her you pretty much have to go up to Tegan Jovanka and Ace (if the "Dorothy" mentioned in Death of the Doctor is indeed her). Blum suggests Donna Noble, but no - doing that would violate everything that had been done with the character in Journey's End and after, and anyway Catherine Tate could well become the new star of The Office before long.

Frankly, and I don't mind sounding like I'm speaking out of turn here, considering the BBC had already renewed SJA for a 6th season - it was supposed to move to the new studio later this year - I think Lis Sladen would have wanted her young co-stars and the production team to keep their jobs. It can be done, and I have faith that RTD will find a way to make it work, if the decision is made to continue in some form.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:37 PM   #9
BlastHardcheese
Lieutenant Commander

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
and yet makes it clear that she is still, in-universe, alive and well.
I couldn't disagree more. The most respectful thing to do is to let the character die too. It's not right to have anyone mention "Oh that Sarah Jane, off investigating in Siberia like the headstrong woman she is...".

The sad fact is we're all headed in the same direction. In many ways, The Doctor's speech to her in her first reappearance about how he doesn't want to see his companions grow old and die is why it's so important to accept her loss, off screen and on screen. To pretend her character is still alive would be a wonderful illusion... but it ultimately hurts us and dishonours the memory of her.
BlastHardcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 04:37 PM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is with this thread? Lis hasn't even been gone for 24 hours, and you're already coming up with this kind of stupid shit? Have some respect.
Old April 20 2011, 04:52 PM   #11
EJA
Fleet Captain

BlastHardcheese wrote: View Post
I believe that Elisabeth Sladen had the energy and the strength to make the show work in the first place. For that reason if they replaced her even with another ex-companion, it would be a shadow of its former self - a hollow exercise which would not last long.

What they should do is give some of the young cast members a couple of seasons in the Tardis. With the pain they're in, they'll be needing a Doctor.
Totally in agreement.
Old April 20 2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

OmahaStar, you are indeed disrespectful of your betters. This thread is a perfect tribute to Ms. Sladen. As everyone who's ever worked on stage or screen knows, the show must go on. As others have pointed out, Ms. Sladen would surely have been concerned at the effect of her passing on the employment of her castmates and crew. These speculations are in the best tradition of the actor's creed.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is with this thread? Lis hasn't even been gone for 24 hours, and you're already coming up with this kind of stupid shit? Have some respect.
Hmmm - up until your comments, everybody else WAS being respectful. Pot - kettle - yadda yadda.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 05:08 PM   #14
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

It is safe to say that Liz would want people to continue living their lives even though she is no longer with us. What better way than to continue SJA in some form and let the show continue to inspire children and open their young minds to endless possibilities. I am sure she would want that.
Old April 20 2011, 05:08 PM   #15
EJA
Fleet Captain

Please, everyone, let's not fall out with one another in this difficult time.