Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 19 2011, 10:25 PM   #61
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: Lis Sladen

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Brilliant......... damn you.

With your permission I would like to share this elsewhere

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Watching Pyramids of Mars now for some random SJS goodness (and the late Michael Sheard as well, who I knew better)
DWF loaned me a few DVDs of different Doctors recently.. and fortunately "Pyramids of Mars" was one of them. I think i will do the same as you on this tonight.

And speak of the Devil...

DWF wrote: View Post
Sarah Jane was my favorite companion and it was because of how Liz played as being so human. She had been sick ofr while but she remained a beautiful woman.
Very well put!
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:26 PM   #62
Candlelight
Admiral

Three episodes of season five were shot and are in the can. The remaining three were scheduled for production to commence 'Spring 2011', so it's highly unlikely the series will be completed.

This is sad news, and I had no idea she was sick. Then again I had no idea Nicholas Courtney was sick either.

RIP.
Old April 19 2011, 10:26 PM   #63
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

EJA wrote: View Post
I realise this might sound a bit cruel to some, but part of me hopes that if they had filmed any Series 5 episodes, they don't show them. It would just be too painful to watch, knowing she died so shortly after.
My guess is that they will add the six episodes / three stories to the upcoming fourth season dvd release (which will come out, what, November?). But I think this is the end of the series.

I can only recall one other time when there was an active series running, named for the title character, that continued after the death of that character (Valerie, which eventually became "The Hogan Family") but even then, the actress was still with us. This is new territory.
Old April 19 2011, 10:27 PM   #64
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

That is so so so sad. She was such a nice person. I imagine Saturday's episode will be dedicated to her. 63 is no age, bloody cancer...

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:29 PM   #65
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Brilliant......... damn you.

With your permission I would like to share this elsewhere
Sadly it's not mine. I thought i'd share this poignant .gif I saw on another board
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:30 PM   #66
EJA
Fleet Captain

Three episodes? Well, SJA stories are always two-parters, so the last one was probably the first installment of a story that will now, sadly, go unfinished......

Damn, I'm upset.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:31 PM   #67
Lonemagpie
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I realise this might sound a bit cruel to some, but part of me hopes that if they had filmed any Series 5 episodes, they don't show them. It would just be too painful to watch, knowing she died so shortly after.
The BBC isn't going to throw the money they spent on the SJA episodes down the drain like that, not in this time of austerity and budget cutbacks. The BBC broadcast the final season of Father Ted, even though Dermot Morgan died the day after filming the final episode, after all. I don't see anything insensitive about an autumn broadcast of the episodes.
Father Ted was Channel 4, not the BBC, and at least they'd filmed all the episodes - the final episode was always intended as the final one.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:31 PM   #68
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

This is from another board.

That pretty much captures my feelings on the subject right now.
Old April 19 2011, 10:31 PM   #69
Flibble
Fleet Captain

I'm still in shock and completely gutted by the news. She was such a lovely lady.

Sarah Jane was part of my childhood, and I can't believe she has gone.

Goodbye Lis and thank you.

R.I.P.
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:32 PM   #70
Lonemagpie
Writer

Three episodes? Well, SJA stories are always two-parters, so the last one was probably the first installment of a story that will now, sadly, go unfinished......

Damn, I'm upset.
I *think* it's three out of six stories, rather than three individual episodes. Not quite sure though.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:33 PM   #71
Starkers
Admiral

Oh my God. I just saw this on the BBC news, came right out of the blue because I haven't been online for hours.

Shit, I can't describe how shocking that was, as soon as they mentioned her name I knew but...aw crap, it was horrible, but Courtney made sense given his age, 63's no bloody age.

Like someone else said, Lis was one of my very first crushes as a child growing up and watching Doctor Who....I just can't believe it.

RIP Lis, thanks for playing a wonderful character who meant a lot to many, many people. You won't ever be forgotten

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:33 PM   #72
wamdue
Admiral

I am tempted to say, they should use the filmed footage, to create a new storyline, of her death, maybe have just 1, 1 hour episode with Luke narrating his mothers final months.

That assume there is the kind of footage for that.

Even if S5 was finished, its not likely to be the right knid of ending, which may well be impossible now.

On the upside, they may have re-introduced Liz Shaw just in time, even if they only need her to finish one episode.
Old April 19 2011, 10:34 PM   #73
EJA
Fleet Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The BBC isn't going to throw the money they spent on the SJA episodes down the drain like that, not in this time of austerity and budget cutbacks. The BBC broadcast the final season of Father Ted, even though Dermot Morgan died the day after filming the final episode, after all. I don't see anything insensitive about an autumn broadcast of the episodes.
Father Ted was Channel 4, not the BBC, and at least they'd filmed all the episodes - the final episode was always intended as the final one.
Good point.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:38 PM   #74
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'm probably the only one that wants this, but I think a tribute episode with Tennant, Tom Baker and Smith would be needed
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:41 PM   #75
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

wamdue wrote: View Post
I am tempted to say, they should use the filmed footage, to create a new storyline, of her death, maybe have just 1, 1 hour episode with Luke narrating his mothers final months.
No, no, a thousand times no.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote