Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 93 58.49%
Above Average 44 27.67%
Average 13 8.18%
Below Average 3 1.89%
Poor 6 3.77%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24 2011, 09:33 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

I can't speak for CBS's licensing department. I don't know their policies for sure. But I'm not aware of any plans to revisit any century in the Prime timeline on film or television, and as far as I can tell there's not much difference in the approach for any Prime-Trek tie-ins.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2011, 03:32 AM   #47
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bought it today and read the first eighty pages. Definitely sitting on the fence so far.
Old April 25 2011, 11:43 PM   #48
JWD75
Commander

Hopefully my bookstore will have it tomorrow. I'm watching Trials and Tribbleations tonight in preparation.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 12:10 AM   #49
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I am getting mine tommarrow via the nook all ready pre paid for it. I am going to be counting this a tng book. so I'll read it right after IFM.

currently on mere mortals I have 45 pages to go will finish it today.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 12:16 AM   #50
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Why TNG? If you absolutely have to shoe-horn it into a previously established series, I would think that DS9 would be better as that's where the characters Dulmer & Lucsly originally appeared.
Old April 26 2011, 12:28 AM   #51
Christopher
Writer

I guess you could say that overall, Watching the Clock draws more on elements of TNG than elements of DS9. Still, it's a DTI book, not a TNG book.

And chronologically speaking, DTI:WTC takes place well before IFM. WTC covers March 2381 through February 2382 (approximately the same span as Rough Beasts of Empire), while IFM is January to March '83.

Old April 26 2011, 05:48 AM   #52
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

okay so I read rough beast of empire dti:wtc and then ifm? would that be right chris^?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 11:27 AM   #53
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Just finished. Random natterings below:

Old April 26 2011, 02:27 PM   #54
Christopher
Writer

timothy wrote: View Post
okay so I read rough beast of empire dti:wtc and then ifm? would that be right chris^?
It doesn't matter what order you read WTC and IFM relative to each other, because they have virtually nothing to do with one another. WTC does contain one small spoiler for RBoE, but otherwise they have virtually nothing to do with each other either.

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Just finished. Random natterings below:

The characters were interesting, and since they're almost all new creations or minor guest stars it's definitely worth noting as a success of the novel. Seeing how the established canonical information for the two leads is all variation on the basic theme of "they're dull", it's impressive how Dulmur and Lucsly were made so likable. It must have been challenging, but using their slightly aggressive blandness as an advantage (demonstrating how and why it suits them to their jobs, etc) worked quite well. Of course, D and L are doing that themselves, aren't they - cultivating their dullness as something beneficial?
Well, I think that's a little unfair to the writers and actors in "Trials and Tribble-ations." I found that Lucsly & Dulmur's 3 minutes and 45 seconds of screen time gave me essentially everything I needed to get a handle on their personalities. Their dialogue and the performances of James W. Jansen and Jack Blessing told me that while Dulmur was more talkative and outgoing, Lucsly was the more knowledgeable, senior agent to whom Dulmur deferred; that both men were good at quickly calculating dates, but Dulmur had to think about it while Lucsly did it better and with savantlike ease; that Lucsly knows temporal regulations by heart; etc. A critical bit was that last moment where Dulmur told Sisko he would've spoken to Kirk too, and Lucsly just glowered. That told me that they were both serious on the job, but the difference was that Dulmur could turn it off and be more human.

And pretty much the rest of the work was done by Bill Leisner in "Gods, Fate, and Fractals" in SNW II, which basically portrayed Lucsly as Joe Friday. That plus the episode gave me the template for the characters.

Although I drew on a lot of similar character types for Lucsly -- there's a lot of Joe Friday in him, but also a lot of Phileas Fogg, some Sherlock Holmes, some Egon Spengler, and some Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters. Dulmur is more simple, basically Jack Blessing's own screen persona plus some Bill Gannon plus maybe some Lennie Briscoe. I cribbed the idea of his divorce from Dayton Ward's "Almost, But Not Quite" in SNW II, and his whole character arc grew out of that tidbit.

Its also a point worth making that, as I assume is true of most people, I think of them as "Dulmur and Lucsly", but the novel made it more "Lucsly and Dulmur".
Most people probably read too much into the "Mulder and Scully" allusion in their names. Like I said, the clear sense I got from the episode was that Lucsly was the senior agent.

Oh, and, Christopher, would I be right in assuming the Shirna are the "Bucktooth" aliens, they of the infamously hated makeup?
No, but you're in the right ballpark. They're these guys:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed...riangular_head

Intriguing. I never thought of it that way. It just kinda happened. Although I guess

As for the

Heh-heh-heh.

In fact,

Wow. Nicely said. But yeah, I definitely wanted to embrace the mundanity of their work and make it a virtue. The title Watching the Clock is meant to convey that sense of a humdrum, 9-to-5 routine as well as the sense of monitoring and protecting the timeline -- so it's combining the mundane and the profound in the same three words, which pretty much sums up the DTI right there.

I'm not sure that's quite right.

That wasn't my motivation at all.

Great review, very thoughtful. I appreciate it.

Old April 26 2011, 03:55 PM   #55
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Well, I think that's a little unfair to the writers and actors in "Trials and Tribble-ations." I found that Lucsly & Dulmur's 3 minutes and 45 seconds of screen time gave me essentially everything I needed to get a handle on their personalities. Their dialogue and the performances of James W. Jansen and Jack Blessing told me that while Dulmur was more talkative and outgoing, Lucsly was the more knowledgeable, senior agent to whom Dulmur deferred; that both men were good at quickly calculating dates, but Dulmur had to think about it while Lucsly did it better and with savantlike ease; that Lucsly knows temporal regulations by heart; etc. A critical bit was that last moment where Dulmur told Sisko he would've spoken to Kirk too, and Lucsly just glowered. That told me that they were both serious on the job, but the difference was that Dulmur could turn it off and be more human.
Sadly, it's been a long time since I watched the episode and the characters sort of faded into a gray blur. Maybe I even "flanderized" them somewhat; exaggerated their dull humourlessness, making them truly drone-like and ignoring all those personal cues you mention. I suppose that's the danger with minor characters - they stick in your head due to certain memorable traits and you reduce them to those traits, forget the complexities. I guess many fans like myself who haven't rewatched the episode for some time have an idea of Dulmur and Lucsly as two dull men in suits, little more. As you just demonstrated, that's evidently unfair, but I get the feeling its reasonably common. All I can say is, with those observations you listed informing the novel we're now reading, the characters (and the actors' performances they're based on) are presumably finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Most people probably read too much into the "Mulder and Scully" allusion in their names. Like I said, the clear sense I got from the episode was that Lucsly was the senior agent.
Yeah. I should really get round to watching the episode again...

I should have guessed. Yes, I suppose that is a very Risan outlook. And I should have known you did that quite deliberately...

I'm not sure that's quite right.

That wasn't my motivation at all.

Great review, very thoughtful. I appreciate it.
Thank you. And thanks for taking the time on those lengthy replies and explanations. Very interesting.
Old April 26 2011, 04:37 PM   #56
Saul
Rear Admiral

Sounds like my kinda book and even more interesting if it goes into TCW.
Old April 26 2011, 05:37 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Sadly, it's been a long time since I watched the episode and the characters sort of faded into a gray blur. Maybe I even "flanderized" them somewhat; exaggerated their dull humourlessness, making them truly drone-like and ignoring all those personal cues you mention. I suppose that's the danger with minor characters - they stick in your head due to certain memorable traits and you reduce them to those traits, forget the complexities. I guess many fans like myself who haven't rewatched the episode for some time have an idea of Dulmur and Lucsly as two dull men in suits, little more. As you just demonstrated, that's evidently unfair, but I get the feeling its reasonably common. All I can say is, with those observations you listed informing the novel we're now reading, the characters (and the actors' performances they're based on) are presumably finally getting the recognition they deserve.
Well, no, they were "two dull men in suits," essentially; that was their role in the story. The details I'm talking about are subtle, the sort of thing you might not notice unless you're specifically poring over those 3 3/4 minutes of material in search of characterization cues. But the hints were there. I wasn't making up their personalities from scratch, but extrapolating from what the writers and actors gave me.

Old April 26 2011, 05:59 PM   #58
bfollowell
Commander

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
Mr. Bennett, that was an incredible work of fiction. It was you at your best, Star Trek at its best and a very good book.

In my opinion this book was Destiny-Awesome.

Is DTI: Watching The Clock a stand-alone or does it fall in the same reading order as we've seen lately?
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 06:29 PM   #59
Christopher
Writer

bfollowell wrote: View Post
Is DTI: Watching The Clock a stand-alone or does it fall in the same reading order as we've seen lately?
It's a self-contained book in the post-Destiny timeframe, covering roughly the year after Destiny. It is not a TNG book or a DS9 book or a VGR book or a TTN book or a Typhon Pact book; it is a DTI book. It's an independent work that draws on the same continuity background as the rest. And you can read it in whatever order you feel like.

Old April 26 2011, 08:36 PM   #60
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Christopher, how long before you have annotations for this novel?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote