RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 520
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 93 58.49%
Above Average 44 27.67%
Average 13 8.18%
Below Average 3 1.89%
Poor 6 3.77%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 27 2012, 09:47 PM   #511
JamesRKirk
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

It's one thing the novels can be used for. That doesn't mean that you have to use pages to explain something that, in my opinion, doesn't need to be explained any more than they explain things in the shows.

It's not a big deal to me. I'll just pick up some other series and give the DTI ones a pass in the future <ha!>. Unless you're a completist there's no reason you HAVE to pick up every book of every series. It would be like someone who doesn't like Klingon stories feeling that they have to pick up the IKS Gorkon series.
JamesRKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 09:50 PM   #512
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

If it's not a big deal to you, why have you essentially made it your point of contention about the novel and been debating about it? LOL. Also Christopher has stated already a few times that DTI is not a series. They're both self contained novels. Also again, I have to ask you since you didn't address it prior, why did you decide to read the book when you already had a problem with the premise? That doesn't make sense to me. I just ignore stuff I'm not interested in. As I said before aside from the focus on the time travel stuff, Watching the Clock was a pretty typical Chris Bennett novel.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 09:58 PM   #513
JamesRKirk
Lieutenant

I'm willing to give pretty much anything a chance to prove me wrong. Christopher had said that it wasn't a typical time travel novel. It wasn't but not in a way that I particularly enjoyed.

And since I read the novel I felt that I was entitled to discuss the novel, pro or con. I've enjoyed his previous work and felt that while the quality of the writing was up to his usual standard the subject matter and the way it was handled didn't catch me like his other books did.
JamesRKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2012, 11:16 PM   #514
Christopher
Writer

JamesRKirk wrote: View Post
Don't let the details get in the way of the stories and characters.
You keep assuming that's the only possibility, that it's always going to be a zero-sum game. What I've been trying to get across to you is that that's not true, that in the best science fiction, the scientific or speculative concepts promote and enhance the storytelling and characterization. If you think I failed to achieve that in DTI:WTC, that's one thing, and I accept that criticism as an incentive to try harder in the future. But it's totally false to talk as though it always has to be a choice of one or the other. Saying that the science can never do anything except get in the way of the character stories is misunderstanding the genre of science fiction on a fundamental level. The goal of the genre is to postulate hypothetical scientific advances or discoveries and explore their impact on human beings. The human consequences -- personal, societal, ethical, philosophical, emotional -- of the speculative situations are the whole point of telling the story; but it's the speculative situations that make it possible to explore human nature in ways you couldn't do otherwise. It's not supposed to be a choice between one or the other. It's supposed to be both working in harmony.

But as LeVar Burton used to say, you don't have to take my word for it. The best way to get proof of this is to read a lot more science fiction and see how the best authors pull off that balance.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 12:59 AM   #515
JD
Admiral

I've actually been pretty impressed with how well Christopher is able to keep the science detailed and believable, but not let it interfere with the character stories. I'm not done with the book so far, but the thing I've enjoyed about it the most is the character stories. Dulmur and Garcia's stories have both kept me very interested.
Old February 28 2012, 01:21 AM   #516
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I've actually been pretty impressed with how well Christopher is able to keep the science detailed and believable, but not let it interfere with the character stories.
I agree 100%. And not just with DTI:WTC, but with all of his Trek Lit that I've read. He balances it very well, better I would say than a lot of mainstream Hard SF writers out there.

In many ways his style reminds me of A.C. Clarke, Stephen Baxter and Jules Verne, all of whom, in their best work, include a lot of scientific detail, but balance it well with the story and characters. Nobody is perfect, of course, and even Verne had a tendency to go off on scientific digressions now and then (Clarke does this too occasionally as well), but--like Christopher, the majority of the time there is a good balance.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 06:29 PM   #517
JD
Admiral

Re: DTI: Watching the Clock Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished this last night, and I loved it. I really liked the way that Christopher was able to make sense of so many of the time travel stories from over the years, especially the TCW, which was always kind of vague. I loved the reveal at the end about who Future Guy was, and what his goals were. It really made sense given what we'd seen of him. The character work in the book was great, which is pretty much to be expected in a CLB book at this point. I can't wait to get more stories about the DTI characters featured in the book. I definitely agree with the people who liked Jena Noi, she was a great character. My Rating: 10/10.
Old March 25 2012, 09:38 PM   #518
Christopher
Writer

^Thanks!

Old March 29 2012, 12:34 AM   #519
Yevetha
Commodore

Will Jenna Noi show up in the next book?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2012, 10:51 PM   #520
JD
Admiral

What about Garcia and Ranjea?
Old March 29 2012, 11:24 PM   #521
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I still want a Jenna Noi book...I'd be happy with a single book

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2012, 02:31 AM   #522
JD
Admiral

I'd read that.
Old April 3 2012, 05:59 AM   #523
comsol
Captain

Christopher, you really did a wonderful job with this book, I really enjoyed all of the scientific detail that you put into the book, and how well you integrated into the story. On a more personal note, my father passed away last month, shortly after I bought this book, and reading it and the annotations on your website about your loss was - in a way that i can't really explain - helpful for me in coming to terms with the new reality that I have to deal with.
Old April 3 2012, 10:33 AM   #524
Yevetha
Commodore

Ne excerpts out yet?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2012, 01:55 PM   #525
Christopher
Writer

comsol wrote: View Post
Christopher, you really did a wonderful job with this book, I really enjoyed all of the scientific detail that you put into the book, and how well you integrated into the story.
Thank you!

On a more personal note, my father passed away last month, shortly after I bought this book, and reading it and the annotations on your website about your loss was - in a way that i can't really explain - helpful for me in coming to terms with the new reality that I have to deal with.
Wow. It's always remarkable to learn that something one wrote has had that kind of a meaningful impact on someone else. My condolences on your loss, and I'm glad I could help in some small way.