Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 93 58.86%
Above Average 43 27.22%
Average 13 8.23%
Below Average 3 1.90%
Poor 6 3.80%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 24 2011, 01:19 AM   #451
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Can we start considering DTI as a series now - Christopher, do you have ideas for a third (and fourth) ?
Old December 24 2011, 01:39 AM   #452
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The third should be a Deanna Troi novel and be called:

This Is No Time To Be Arguing About Time, We Don't Have The Time!

(what was I saying?!?)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 02:09 AM   #453
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Can we start considering DTI as a series now - Christopher, do you have ideas for a third (and fourth) ?
I think it's premature to call it a series. Whether I'm asked to do a third remains to be seen. I wouldn't mind returning to these characters someday, but after doing two in a row, I'd like to do something else next.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 02:13 AM   #454
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I think it's premature to call it a series. Whether I'm asked to do a third remains to be seen. I wouldn't mind returning to these characters someday, but after doing two in a row, I'd like to do something else next.
Titan. TITAN! Pleeeeeeeeeease write another Titan.
Old December 24 2011, 06:32 AM   #455
JD
Admiral

Didn't you write The Struggle Within between them?
Old December 24 2011, 03:47 PM   #456
Christopher
Writer

^I meant two consecutive novels.

Old December 29 2011, 03:10 AM   #457
TenLubak
Commander

I just finshed reading this book, and damn theres ALOT going on here. Being so buzy with work, and reading this over the course of 3 months made it difficult for me to keep everything straight at the end, but it was a neat read, I enjoyed Mr. Chris's efforts to link it with a lot of episodes and characters of the past, and tie up the whole future guy nonsense in a way that wasn't nonsense at all. But this was not light reading by any means. It was very good.
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 08:21 PM   #458
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

I just finished this book a few days ago and absolutely loved it. I've always loved Time Travel stories (in and out of Trek) and have to say that my #1 pet peeve is authors who don't have coherent "Time Travel rules" established for their fiction. The rules don't have to be based in real science, of course (Though sounding scientifically plausible is a plus!) This whole book is about retroactively establishing Trek's Time Travel rules, which must've been challenging given the number of stories and authors involved over the last few decades of Trek time travel stories. And I very much enjoyed the novelty of a Time Travel book where the main characters aren't themselves time travelers.
From the moment I heard this title announced I had a feeling that it was a perfect fit for Christopher's style, which more and more reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke or Stephen Baxter (whose Time Ships is one of my all time favorite Time Travel books, aside from--of course--H.G. Wells' original Time Machine).

A few comments/questions:

Thank you for such a great book!
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 09:34 PM   #459
Christopher
Writer

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
I just finished this book a few days ago and absolutely loved it.
Glad to hear it!

A few comments/questions:
No need for spoiler boxes in the review thread, so:

I very much liked how you touched on pretty much every Trek time travel story in some way. Are there any that you didn't get to address as fully as you would have liked?
I don't really remember. If there were, I probably said something about it in the annotations on my website. But I did get to elaborate rather more on the TOS time-travel episodes in my upcoming DTI: Forgotten History. In fact, there are one or two things I would've left out of Watching the Clock if I'd known I'd get the chance to cover them in FH.

I also liked how you made the Slingshot method much more difficult that may be apparent in televised Trek.
The credit for that goes largely to David A. McIntee, author of Indistinguishable from Magic. That was part of his thought process in developing that book, and when we compared notes about our respective time-travel novels, the idea made sense to me and meshed well with my existing ideas, so I used it as much for consistency with IFM as for its own sake.

Given that the 1701 was able to do it due to modifications made by Spock/Scott, do you feel similar modifications were made to the HMS Bounty in STIV?
Forgotten History will have some new things to say on that subject.

In Ex Machina you made reference to the ringship Enterprise being an unmade prototype, yet here you refer to it as a real ship. Was this a conscious contradiction?
My ideas about the ringship have changed (because the material about it in the Ships of the Line 2011 Calendar was so cool I couldn't resist alluding to it), but actually ExM said it was an "unused prototype," not "unmade," so it's ambiguous enough that it still works. "Unused" could just mean that its design never went into widespread production.

Old January 3 2012, 10:19 PM   #460
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe

I don't really remember. If there were, I probably said something about it in the annotations on my website. But I did get to elaborate rather more on the TOS time-travel episodes in my upcoming DTI: Forgotten History. In fact, there are one or two things I would've left out of Watching the Clock if I'd known I'd get the chance to cover them in FH.
That is very good news! TOS is my personal favorite Trek era, so I'm very excited to hear about more elaboration on those Time Travel incidents.

The credit for that goes largely to David A. McIntee, author of Indistinguishable from Magic. That was part of his thought process in developing that book, and when we compared notes about our respective time-travel novels, the idea made sense to me and meshed well with my existing ideas, so I used it as much for consistency with IFM as for its own sake.
Well, kudos to both of you then! I'll have to as David's book to my "to read" list.
Given that the 1701 was able to do it due to modifications made by Spock/Scott, do you feel similar modifications were made to the HMS Bounty in STIV?
Forgotten History will have some new things to say on that subject.
Its going to be a long wait for that book!

Another thought: I really enjoyed how some of the DTI agents hold a dim view of how Starfleet officers operate. It makes perfect sense given how different their respective jobs are and I think its a nice contrast to how Starfleet is often portrayed in Trek.

I'm really looking forward to Forgotten History! I was before now, but the couple of mentions you give in your post make me all the more excited for it.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
Old January 4 2012, 02:42 AM   #461
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Titan. TITAN! Pleeeeeeeeeease write another Titan.
This would be fairly awesome and made of shiny, explosive WIN.
Old January 4 2012, 02:44 AM   #462
Plaristes
Lieutenant

Well, there's still time to add a reference to "The Counter-Clock Incident," since one wasn't included in WTC.
Old January 4 2012, 04:21 AM   #463
Christopher
Writer

Plaristes wrote: View Post
Well, there's still time to add a reference to "The Counter-Clock Incident," since one wasn't included in WTC.
Not on your life. Stupidest episode ever. (Although there are certainly other TAS references in Forgotten History.)

Old January 4 2012, 05:54 PM   #464
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Plaristes wrote: View Post
Not on your life. Stupidest episode ever. (Although there are certainly other TAS references in Forgotten History.)
Is there any chance of a mention of "Yesteryear"? Its an overall good episode, but I never really understood the temporal logic behind it and what the "original" time line would have looked like. I'd love to see what you make of it.
Old January 4 2012, 06:26 PM   #465
Christopher
Writer

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Is there any chance of a mention of "Yesteryear"? Its an overall good episode, but I never really understood the temporal logic behind it and what the "original" time line would have looked like. I'd love to see what you make of it.
Ohhh, I'd say there's a pretty good chance it will be mentioned...