Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 92 58.60%
Above Average 43 27.39%
Average 13 8.28%
Below Average 3 1.91%
Poor 6 3.82%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2 2011, 02:27 PM   #256
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Voted Above Average! Best book since Destiny!

Though one thing I'd like to ask: Wouldn't time-travelers from the future (the Anti-accordists) try to erase the existence of the DTI itself? The origin time of the DTI is presumably known, so shouldn't there be some action around that time? Or will this be covered in Forgotten History?
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:50 PM   #257
Christopher
Writer

rahullak wrote: View Post
Though one thing I'd like to ask: Wouldn't time-travelers from the future (the Anti-accordists) try to erase the existence of the DTI itself? The origin time of the DTI is presumably known, so shouldn't there be some action around that time?
Why would they bother? One thing I made a point of throughout the story is that the uptime factions don't really take the DTI very seriously because they don't travel through time themselves, because they aren't big glamorous time-patrolling heroes. They're just seen as bureaucrats who have no real power over events, who just observe events and file reports on them in order to give themselves some illusory sense of control. It's because Lucsly and Dulmur are underestimated that they're able to
So the DTI is safe from uptime assault because the anti-Accordists don't think they're worth the trouble to go after.

There's a phrase you come across sometimes, "the banality of evil," expressing how a lot of the atrocities in history have come about because of ordinary people who were just doing their jobs or not really thinking or caring about the consequences, or not having the courage or the insight to stand up against an injustice. I guess you could turn that around and say that Watching the Clock is an attempt to show the banality of good -- to show that just ordinary folks doing unglamorous, ploddingly methodical jobs play every bit as important a role in making the world better as the famous, glamorous, heroic types.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 08:45 PM   #258
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

I'm a little confused

*Slight spoilers*

I'm still reading the book and it's mentioned that an attempt was made on Doctor Naadri's life. I can't seem to find this anywhere in the book. Can someone (Christopher?) possibly point me in the direction where this took place?

Thanks
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 10:39 PM   #259
Christopher
Writer

^The attempt on Naadri was prevented before it could happen. The same people who went after Vard in Ch. VI were also going after Naadri, but Jena Noi stopped them. Lucsly & Dulmur figured this out later on, on page 206-7.

Old June 2 2011, 10:49 PM   #260
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, Christopher!
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2011, 03:10 PM   #261
Daddy Todd
Captain

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Just finished (finally) & loved it. Now I finally have an answer to the question: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?.
Does Anybody Really Care?

...sorry for the delayed response; I pretty much only have weekends to catch up on the BBS these days...
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 06:49 PM   #262
JWolf
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Pardon me if you have been asked this before - but are you planning on setting up a series for the DTI?
Planning? No. I actually expected this to be a one-shot, so I crammed in everything I could, tried to make it sort of a series unto itself. I was, however, open to the possibility of continuations. And as it happens, my editor invited me to do a TOS/DTI novel for 2012 -- it's called Forgotten History and will involve the origins of the DTI.
Very nice. I did enjoy Watching the Clock and look forward to the next one.
Old June 7 2011, 06:52 PM   #263
JWolf
Commodore

Just finished (finally) & loved it. Now I finally have an answer to the question: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?.
1:52:58pm Eastern
Old June 7 2011, 07:50 PM   #264
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I'm reading it now. Though I don't enjoy the story so much I do like the police investigative/Dragnet style of the story. The explanation of alternate realities and quantum flux is quite interesting and well thought out. I'm continuing on because it makes me think and gives me a different perspective on time and the universe.
Old June 8 2011, 05:15 PM   #265
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

JWolf wrote: View Post
1:52:58pm Eastern
A Tuesday
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 09:07 PM   #266
Mage
Commodore

I started this just now and I'm already 70 pages in, and struggled to put it down. I have to admit, the science is a bit tough to get through, but also very interesting. It'll probably take a re-read at some point for it all to sink in. But sofar, very much a pageturner!!
Old June 8 2011, 09:32 PM   #267
Christopher
Writer

^Thank you!

Old June 9 2011, 01:37 AM   #268
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

if they stop a crime from happening. how can a person still be arrested for that crime if it has been stopped before it's started?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2011, 01:52 AM   #269
Christopher
Writer

^That's exactly the problem with the policies of the Temporal Integrity Commission as seen in "Relativity."

Old June 9 2011, 03:39 AM   #270
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I don't know... it's an interesting ethical question. If you literally know that a crime is going to happen and that they were going to do it-- and you do-- how can you not arrest them? Even if you stop it, you know with 100% certainty that they would have done it.

Though I suppose this is ground well covered in the Dick's "The Minority Report."