MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate DTI: Watching The Clock
Outstanding 92 58.60%
Above Average 43 27.39%
Average 13 8.28%
Below Average 3 1.91%
Poor 6 3.82%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26 2011, 07:53 AM   #211
Idran
Commander

Re: Star Trek: DTI: Watching The Clock Review Thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 01:16 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

Idran wrote: View Post
No, it was a purposeful analogy. See reasons 2, 4, and 5 in my post above.

If you're saying I didn't justify the Vault sufficiently in the book itself, that's a valid criticism. But is it really that surprising that the Federation would rather store dangerous discoveries for careful, controlled study than simply destroy them? This is a civilization that prizes exploration and knowledge, not a police state that pre-emptively destroys everything it doesn't approve of. I didn't think it really needed to be justified.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 01:58 PM   #213
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
That pretty much pegged me. My biggest problem with many time travel stories is the protagonists are left without consequences or memory. Since there are infinite universes, you can do no wrong, merely create a new universe. Also, like with the butterfly effect, it seems no matter what you do when you go back in time, you'll cause changes.

I'll check it out. Christopher's winky face is challenging me to find the answers.

And your friend has been on you for weeks to read it.

Perhaps said friend should remember to deliver his copy. Said friend himself also took a few weeks to join trekbbs.
Old May 27 2011, 02:55 AM   #214
Idran
Commander

If you're saying I didn't justify the Vault sufficiently in the book itself, that's a valid criticism. But is it really that surprising that the Federation would rather store dangerous discoveries for careful, controlled study than simply destroy them? This is a civilization that prizes exploration and knowledge, not a police state that pre-emptively destroys everything it doesn't approve of. I didn't think it really needed to be justified.
Oh, I wasn't talking about your level of justification of the Vault at all, I was just talking about the analogy. I was just saying Area 51 in Stargate doesn't seem analogous to me to the Vault or to the warehouse in Raiders because it's explicit in Stargate, but implicit in your book and Raiders. I entirely agree with your points, and that's pretty much what I thought for the Vault too, I just meant it seemed a bad choice of analogy to use alongside Raiders because they outright explain all that stuff for Area 51.

It wasn't a criticism of the book at all, just a very, very minor one of the comparison.
Old May 27 2011, 03:01 AM   #215
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

Just finished (finally) & loved it. Now I finally have an answer to the question: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?.
Old May 27 2011, 03:03 AM   #216
Christopher
Writer

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?.
A Thursday.

Old May 27 2011, 02:25 PM   #217
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Oh, I wasn't talking about your level of justification of the Vault at all, I was just talking about the analogy. I was just saying Area 51 in Stargate doesn't seem analogous to me to the Vault or to the warehouse in Raiders because it's explicit in Stargate, but implicit in your book and Raiders. I entirely agree with your points, and that's pretty much what I thought for the Vault too, I just meant it seemed a bad choice of analogy to use alongside Raiders because they outright explain all that stuff for Area 51.

It wasn't a criticism of the book at all, just a very, very minor one of the comparison.
More analogous to the warehouse in Warehouse 13 I would have thought...

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 05:21 PM   #218
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Pardon me if you have been asked this before - but are you planning on setting up a series for the DTI?
Planning? No. I actually expected this to be a one-shot, so I crammed in everything I could, tried to make it sort of a series unto itself. I was, however, open to the possibility of continuations. And as it happens, my editor invited me to do a TOS/DTI novel for 2012 -- it's called Forgotten History and will involve the origins of the DTI.
Very cool.
Look forward to reading it.
I also would like to see a book that deals with the events that are set in motion at the very end of the book.
Jedi_Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 06:47 PM   #219
Christopher
Writer

I also would like to see a book that deals with the events that are set in motion at the very end of the book.
I'd call that very unlikely, since

Old May 27 2011, 06:55 PM   #220
Scout101
Admiral

Plus due to the joys of time travel, you already got the gist of what happened, the results, and even how it came together (more or less). The chronological beginning was just the last bit you saw in the book...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 10:13 PM   #221
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

Finished A Time to Sow but need to read DTI before I continue. Anyway I just started what does UTC stand for???

As in 18:27 UTC.
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 10:32 PM   #222
Idran
Commander

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post
Finished A Time to Sow but need to read DTI before I continue. Anyway I just started what does UTC stand for???

Coordinated Universal Time.
Old May 27 2011, 10:49 PM   #223
GalaxyClass1701
Captain

View GalaxyClass1701's Twitter Profile

GalaxyClass1701 wrote: View Post

Coordinated Universal Time.
Ah thanks.
GalaxyClass1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 11:11 PM   #224
JD
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Plus due to the joys of time travel, you already got the gist of what happened, the results, and even how it came together (more or less). The chronological beginning was just the last bit you saw in the book...
Ah, you gotta love that wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 01:13 AM   #225
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

only four books away till I get to this series can't wait currently reading star trek typhon pact zero sum game I love it so far. I hope this series goes as fast as the destiny series did.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote