Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 18 2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Triton

Space, the final frontier...

I've been messing around with ideas for an animated Trek film in my spare time for a while now, and I'm getting to the point where I feel like it would probably be more fun to collaborate with others rather than keep it all to myself.

My hope is to find some people who would be in to coming on board for story development and writing, but I'm totally open to any other kinds of contributions as well. Or if you're just interested in the project and want to know more ask away!
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Triton

Are you familiar with:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Femtrekz/ or what is done at Go!Animate?

This is a good short one (there are many, some good, some bad)

Star Trek: The Derelict An 'animated graphic novel' in four parts, by RoTV. Rating: 3.5 There is music, and sound effects, but the words are in boxes for narration and word balloons. No voices. The show is well written, and tightly edited. It is very reminiscent of real TOS. The message, that you catch more flies (and other insects) with honey than you do with vinegar. The limitations of the media are less in your face because of the graphic novel format. You don't expect acting, so it's not missed. They make the best use of these resources. It's also entertaining and well directed.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWVydJJmgk (3:02)
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcouBBhEKek (3:36)
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veq0bhNJf_0 (2:47)
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdj9pSESqo (5:14)
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for that Barb! I'm watching that one now and it's good fun. Great job to whoever put that together!

I am familiar with go animate and other pre-made asset services, but maybe I should clarify; Triton is going to be a fully realized animated production. The promo image above is actually taken from the development work I've done on the project so far.
Old April 18 2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Freman
Fleet Captain

I might be interested in helping. Maybe with the writing and voice-over acting. PM with more info when you can.
Old April 18 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Sounds good Freman. I'll send you a PM tonight.
Old April 19 2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

I really like the artwork! Do you have a site with more of it?
Old April 19 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Yeah, the humans look... human!
Old April 19 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Andymator, I'm glad you're not following in the go-animate style. I'm looking forward to your original animated Star Trek series.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Melonpool wrote: View Post
I really like the artwork! Do you have a site with more of it?
Thanks man! I don't have a site running at the moment for the project, as it's still really early in development. I guess that's another thing I'd need help with heheheh. I really don't want to show everything right out of the gate, that would spoil it for everyone! But here's a concept painting for the bridge of the U.S.S. Triton. It's not final, but it should give people a good indication of where I'm going with this.

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Yeah, the humans look... human!
Hahah, hopefully that's a good thing! But does the Vulcan look Vulcan?!

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Andymator, I'm glad you're not following in the go-animate style. I'm looking forward to your original animated Star Trek series.
Thank you! I've spent quite a bit of time developing the art direction, and this is what I do for a living. This project is just something fun and entertaining to do without all the hassles of the business-end in the animation business. I'm looking forward to your first full length episode too!
Old April 20 2011, 02:02 AM   #10
FredH
Captain

That's... a very bright bridge. JJverse rather than TOS, then?
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 02:19 AM   #11
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

I would have to agree. Although I am a long-time member and animator at GoAnimate, I hunger to make a more stylish Trek toon. Triton looks very promising. Is this going to be a flash production? I, too, am hoping to produce a new Trek animation (outside the GoA studio), possibly a motion comic. And I also might be interested in helping on your project. Let me know. :-)
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 02:44 AM   #12
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

FredH wrote: View Post
That's... a very bright bridge. JJverse rather than TOS, then?
Yeah, it's going to be based on the 2009 film. I know that this will probably turn some people off, but it's something I have thought alot about. There are many other fan films that have chosen to emulate the original Star Trek series, and this kind of makes Triton a little bit unique.

Ensign Ro- wrote: View Post
I would have to agree. Although I am a long-time member and animator at GoAnimate, I hunger to make a more stylish Trek toon. Triton looks very promising. Is this going to be a flash production? I, too, am hoping to produce a new Trek animation (outside the GoA studio), possibly a motion comic. And I also might be interested in helping on your project. Let me know. :-)
Thanks Ro. I am going to be using Flash, though it will be traditionally hand drawn frame by frame animation. The look of the character art will pretty much be exactly what you see in the promo poster at the top of the thread. Send me a PM when you can about helping out!
Old April 20 2011, 02:55 AM   #13
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Here's some more info from the guide/bible that I'm working on. This should provide a setting for what I'm looking for; really classic science fiction stories with a lot of emotional resonance. Strong characters that you care about getting into fantastic adventures and situations.

THE PREMISE
The crew of the Federation Starship Triton sets out to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go where no one has gone before.

THE BACKSTORY
On stardate 2258.42, the romulan renegade known as Nero began a massive attack on the Federation, destroying the planet Vulcan along with most of it's six billion inhabitants before being defeated by the Starship Enterprise near Earth space. In the wake of this destruction Starfleet has become increasingly politicized, with a shifting focus towards defence and combat readiness.

THE SHIP
The U.S.S. Triton is not the finest or most advanced ship in the fleet. She is smaller and less impressive than the flagship Enterprise but still a formidable craft, more than capable of dealing with the inherent dangers of outer space. Officially the Triton is assigned to border patrol duty in a backwater sector on the edge of Federation space, though it's unofficial mission is to continue Starfleet's primary purpose of scientific discovery and exploration of the unknown.
Old April 20 2011, 04:13 AM   #14
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Sounds cool. And my I also say that Ro is one of the top writers at Go!Animate, and his writing deserves better animation.
Old April 21 2011, 12:23 AM   #15
Freman
Fleet Captain

The bridge pic looks awesome!