Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give THOR?
A+ 25 12.25%
A 48 23.53%
A- 49 24.02%
B+ 33 16.18%
B 24 11.76%
B- 9 4.41%
C+ 5 2.45%
C 6 2.94%
C- 1 0.49%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 0.98%
D- 0 0%
F 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2011, 09:07 PM   #376
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

1. I was under the impression that Mjolnir can also be used to open portals to other dimensions. I think it's part of the Marvel comics "uses" for Mjolnir. Is it that Mjolnir in the movie can also perform this function? Is Thor going to get "back" into the Avengers movie this way? Or is he going to discover Loki's pathways out of Asgard? or a new way (somebody else (Loki?) summons him to Earth?
Did you stay until after the credits?

The technology/magic device Nick Fury had displayed the same "rainbow" effect the bridge to Asgard had.
Old May 10 2011, 09:26 PM   #377
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, I thor-oughly enjoyed it.

I think the middle section moved by a little too quickly, and I would have liked to see Thor's change in character come a little more slowly. I also think Jane Foster could have used a little more depth; did we learn anything about her character aside from her being a brilliant scientist?

I loved the Donald Blake nod, and Hawkeye's brief cameo (except for the awkward shot where he reaches for the sniper rifle, then grabs the bow instead). I also enjoyed the Asgard stuff more than I thought it would. Both Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston were great as Thor and Loki.

I give it a B+.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 09:34 PM   #378
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
exactly how did odin kick the bucket... that was odensleep...
Yes - but Thor is told by Loki that Odin is dead. He doesn't find out that Dad's only been sleeping on the job until Odin grabs hold of him as they are falling into the abyss.

My point is that Thor's big "humanizing experience on earth" is still missing something to really be considered substantial.

eg Him offering himself to the Destroyer isn't really a big deal. Thor's problem wasn't that he was big-hearted friend-loving person. He would have done that for his friends on Jotunheim at the start of the movie too. In fact, he asks them to run and he holds off most of them (before the creature goes after them).

exodus wrote: View Post
  1. I was under the impression that Mjolnir can also be used to open portals to other dimensions. I think it's part of the Marvel comics "uses" for Mjolnir. Is it that Mjolnir in the movie can also perform this function? Is Thor going to get "back" into the Avengers movie this way? Or is he going to discover Loki's pathways out of Asgard? or a new way (somebody else (Loki?) summons him to Earth?
Did you stay until after the credits?

The technology/magic device Nick Fury had displayed the same "rainbow" effect the bridge to Asgard had.
Ah - I was looking at the cube and not the "rainbow" effect. Which was smaller than the main cube.

So it could be that this gets used.

Cool.
Old May 10 2011, 09:39 PM   #379
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

coolghoul wrote: View Post
Yes - but Thor is told by Loki that Odin is dead. He doesn't find out that Dad's only been sleeping on the job until Odin grabs hold of him as they are falling into the abyss.
I'm pretty sure that Thor found out that Odin is still alive when Sif and The Warriors Three arrived.
Old May 10 2011, 09:39 PM   #380
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

well saw THOR today and it was awesome. loved it not so much in trailers that I have all ready saw. but, thats okay loved the asgard part of the movie. that helmate loki wears has to way a ton a least. what would have been really cool is mear the end where thor and the gate keeper were standing at the end of the rainbow bridge and see the surfer swinging buy but over all . fantastic movie.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 09:44 PM   #381
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

I saw a interview where the actor who does loki say's he now has strong neck muscles.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 10:05 PM   #382
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Since the end of the movie showed Jane workin' with a whole lote more people, and Thord had already explained, sort of, how things were supposed to work, my guess is she, with help from SHIELD, makes a bridge to connect Earth to Asgaard & bring Thor back for the Avengers movie.
Old May 10 2011, 10:23 PM   #383
TheGeneral
Fleet Captain

Wow, I'm surprised this movie is being scored so highly, found it kind of a letdown. Was still fun to a degree, but not something I'd tell people to spend $10 on, better to wait for it to come out on DVD.

I Hope GL is better then this was.
TheGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 10:24 PM   #384
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

well when is the avengers sopposed to be out and when will thor 2 be ready?
and what was the avengers leak in the movie? all so loved the hawkeye moment thats great.

we will have

the black widow who was in iron man 2
hawk eye who is in thor
iron man
captin america
thor
the incredible hulk?

either way It will be a great summer all so I saw this in 2d fantastic I am gues most of the 3d was the asgard material.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 11:22 PM   #385
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure that Thor found out that Odin is still alive when Sif and The Warriors Three arrived.
Right. The Warriors 3/Sif explain to Thor at the HQ of Jane & Co. over breakfast that Odin is not dead.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 11:51 PM   #386
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Since the end of the movie showed Jane workin' with a whole lote more people, and Thord had already explained, sort of, how things were supposed to work, my guess is she, with help from SHIELD, makes a bridge to connect Earth to Asgaard & bring Thor back for the Avengers movie.
Alternatively, Heimdall tells Thor that Loki knew of another way in and out of Asgard, and Thor finds a different route through the Nine Worlds.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2011, 11:56 PM   #387
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Or maybe they use the Cosmic Cube as seen in the post-end credits scene. It had the same "rainbow" look as the bridge.
Old May 11 2011, 12:41 AM   #388
flemm
Fleet Captain

Saw it again last night, and I liked it significantly more the second time. Some of my mixed impressions of the beginning of the film may have had something to do with my expectations coming in, or just having a really bad seat in a very crowded theater for a 3D showing.

I was holding off on actually voting in the poll, but now I have to say it was a clear "A" for me.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2011, 01:41 AM   #389
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
You are right! My bad.

He does. He doesn't know that he's out of the Odinsleep until he comes to the rescue!
Old May 11 2011, 01:47 AM   #390
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

that's some power.... from bedchamber to the end of the bridge in milliseconds....
and don't forget dressed for war.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote