Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give THOR?
A+ 25 12.25%
A 48 23.53%
A- 49 24.02%
B+ 33 16.18%
B 24 11.76%
B- 9 4.41%
C+ 5 2.45%
C 6 2.94%
C- 1 0.49%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 0.98%
D- 0 0%
F 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2011, 04:32 PM   #271
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Thor is doing quite well and will continue to do so next weekend with no real competition, sorry Priest. Unlike Fast 5 who had to contend with Thor and lost 62% of it audience, even if that is expected for tentpoles, if your the studio you don't like to see it realized.

Thor could see a sub 55% drop and a rise in weekday attendance(over what F5 had) should be seen as Universities are starting to or have completed finals for the semester. I've always said(maybe not here) that the basement for Thor is $200m domestically and pending the results of next weekend I'm still confident it'll do so.

I know this, it'll be the number one or number two superhero movie this summer.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 04:39 PM   #272
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Unless people think the Smurfs movie is Avatar 2.
The millions of people who made Avatar the most successful movie in history will not be confused. They're smart folks.
I absolutely loved Avatar, so thanks for the compliment. I just thought we hadn't heard the Smurfs/ Navi joke for at least 72 hours and that it ought to be dusted down and given an airing.
Old May 9 2011, 04:40 PM   #273
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

"I know this, it'll be the number one or number two superhero movie this summer."

Behind X-Men: First Class? Or Captain America: The First Avenger?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 04:59 PM   #274
thorshammer1138
Ensign

Man I was very happy with this movie!!! I rate it a bit higher than Iron Man 1 and 2 good choice of cast.. I loved the hammer spin.... I am going to go see it again today... Was anyone else annoyed about the easter egg??
thorshammer1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:03 PM   #275
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What would be annoying about that?

I liked the thing he did with the hammer in the first fight with the frost giants, and I liked him putting it on Loki's chest - that was really a stand-out clever moment. I don't remember much else about him using it beyond it dislodging itself and flying to him for the resurrection scene.

I think my favorite parts of the movie are still the ones that were in the trailer - Kat Denning offering CPR and then tazing him, and Hemsworth smashing the coffee cup in the diner.

I really liked the little desert town in general - with all the dilapidated '50s architecture. It felt like a real place - which it is, of course. Galisteo?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:17 PM   #276
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I don't think this is a spoiler, but, does anyone have an idea who the professor emailed? they were able to provide a GREAT deal of help...
My first guess was Stark but a number of websites are reporting the original script mentioned it was "Dr. Pym," meaning Ant Man/Yellowjacket.
I thought it was Stark for a second too. Whoever they contacted, they set up the Driver's license thing... a big hanging plot point, as I don't see Jane being able to do that.
Old May 9 2011, 05:23 PM   #277
flemm
Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the movie, though I didn't love it. Hemsworth and Hiddleston are both excellent. Marvel has two stars on its hands here who should both get a big push in Avengers. The humor really worked, as did the Thor/Loki character material once the film got going. I found the beginning to be quite plodding.

The story suffers a bit, I think, from feeling a bit overly cautious and wary of making any mistakes with what the studio perceived to be a delicate property to handle. I think the cast, story and effects were strong enough that the film could have been more daring.

Thor reminded me somewhat of Trek '09 in that the story is choppy and a bit rushed, but it works anyway due to the strength of its cast. Thor is not quite on the level of Trek '09 as far as pure entertainment value, though, which I would attribute to J.J. Abrams being more comfortable handling this type of movie than Branagh. If Branagh's comfort level increases for a sequel, the pieces are in place for something special.

$400 million WW looks like a lock, which should guarantee a sequel, though Thor's performance at the domestic box office looks like it is basically just going to be respectable.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:26 PM   #278
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
"I know this, it'll be the number one or number two superhero movie this summer."
Behind X-Men: First Class? Or Captain America: The First Avenger?
If it's not the #1 superhero movie, which I'm rooting for, then I think Captain America could be #1. If FOX had been promoting X-Men more I could lean that way but the first theatrical trailer for XM:FC I saw was with THOR. Is that too late to get on some peoples radar? That is my question.

At any rate #1-3 will be Marvel movies it seems. Sorry GL. I'm even going to see it, it just doesn't look like a break out imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:29 PM   #279
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I agree, I think Green Lantern will be the one comic book movie getting lost in the shuffle, which sucks for WB and DC. They'll make it up next year, that is for sure.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:47 PM   #280
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

flemm wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the movie, though I didn't love it. Hemsworth and Hiddleston are both excellent. Marvel has two stars on its hands here who should both get a big push in Avengers. The humor really worked, as did the Thor/Loki character material once the film got going. I found the beginning to be quite plodding.
I should have mentioned Hiddleston again, because Loki was the other thing I did really like about the movie. But yeah, the "otherworldy" sequences were pretty-looking, confused and dull with the frost giants looking as if they were borrowed from a much cheaper film.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 05:54 PM   #281
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Count me as another who was impressed by Hiddleston. He was perfect as Loki.
Old May 9 2011, 05:56 PM   #282
flemm
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
I should have mentioned Hiddleston again, because Loki was the other thing I did really like about the movie. But yeah, the "otherworldy" sequences were pretty-looking, confused and dull with the frost giants looking as if they were borrowed from a much cheaper film.
I don't agree with you about the frost giants, which I thought looked good. But, to me, the beginning of the film felt simultaneously rushed, because lots of exposition was being squeezed in, and tedious, because none of it was handled with any subtlety.

Once Thor decides to thrown down with the frost giants, the film really gets going, though, and I enjoyed it immensely from that point forward.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 06:00 PM   #283
Goliath
Vice Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I agree, I think Green Lantern will be the one comic book movie getting lost in the shuffle, which sucks for WB and DC. They'll make it up next year, that is for sure.
I wasn't even planning on seeing Green Lantern, because the first trailer was so terrible.

They showed a new trailer before Thor, however, and it was a marked improvement over the first. That pushed me back from "no way in Hell am I wasting money on this" to "well, let's wait and see its tomatometer rating."
Old May 9 2011, 06:05 PM   #284
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Really enjoyed it. Probably as much fun as Spidey-1 but not as fun as Iron Man. Give it a solid A.

Really liked Loki. I think he did a marvelous job. I am not sure by the end of it, whether his claim to have done it all for Odin's approval was the truth or yet another lie. Could be wheels within wheels.

I thought they should have made "more" use of him being a Master of Magic as one of the Warriors Three says. More than creating illusions which he can control.

I was a little surprised that he was so vehement in telling Thor to not break the rainbow bridge - "you will never see her again". Why is it important for Loki that Thor see her again? I know that Loki being selfish himself was trying to persuade Thor to not break the bridge and assumes that Thor being selfish will refuse it too. But at other times during the movie, he takes advantage of Thor's "noble" nature (when he dupes him on earth). I guess in the heat of battle he forgets to "think" like Thor would.

Odin was good. The Destroyer seems to be the most true to comics character. Loved Sif (tho' she seemed just a tad lightweight to me - would have preferred the actress to look a couple of years older. She seems too young for Thor).

Loved Loki's helmet.

Liked the 3-D too. Surprisingly I didn't feel the need to take off my glasses like I felt like doing in a couple of occasions during Avatar.

Saw 3-D previews for Pirates and Cap America. Very good! Can't wait.

I think I need to see a good movie of Natalie Portman. Cute looking but she just doesn't cut it.

I saw it late sunday but it wasn't very full - probably about 30-40% full.
Old May 9 2011, 06:20 PM   #285
Goliath
Vice Admiral

coolghoul wrote: View Post
I think I need to see a good movie of Natalie Portman. Cute looking but she just doesn't cut it.
Black Swan is quite good.