Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What grade do you give THOR?
A+ 25 12.25%
A 48 23.53%
A- 49 24.02%
B+ 33 16.18%
B 24 11.76%
B- 9 4.41%
C+ 5 2.45%
C 6 2.94%
C- 1 0.49%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 0.98%
D- 0 0%
F 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2011, 01:57 PM   #256
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

"Disappointed" and worried are different things, too. They'll make money, no doubt about it - they'll want Thor to do 275 domestically, but they have to be happy that the international is as strong as it it. Other than Spider-Man, though, Marvel's high-water marks are the Iron Man movies - and nobody likes their greatest successes to be years in the rear-view mirror. Thor got crowded more than expected by Fast Five; Marvel's probably looking a little anxiously at Captain America now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:16 PM   #257
Anwar
Vice Admiral

At least it got good reviews as well as financial success.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:20 PM   #258
T'Baio
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
"Disappointed" and worried are different things, too. They'll make money, no doubt about it - they'll want Thor to do 275 domestically, but they have to be happy that the international is as strong as it it.
Most definitely...I doubt Thor is gonna' make 275 domestically. 200...maybe.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:28 PM   #259
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

When does Potter come out?
Old May 9 2011, 02:32 PM   #260
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Sometime in mid-July I think.
Old May 9 2011, 02:35 PM   #261
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
When does Potter come out?
Potter is gay?!

According to the report below, it's the 11th highest opening w/e for a superhero movie (which includes The Incredibles). It did better than Superman Returns, Hancock, Watchmen and others. It's felt that any disappointment about the US gross is offset by its stronger-than-expected international take.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/204...ox-office-race

Last edited by Captaindemotion; May 9 2011 at 02:49 PM.
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 02:50 PM   #262
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Saw this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit... I gave it a solid B, as I didn't think it was quite up there at the "epic" level...

My big quibble was the "town" in New Mexico used as the earthly setting... The whole place felt like a set piece rather than an actual town.. Being here in New Mexico, I can tell you first off that there is no such place, but that's neither here nor there.. It was very reminiscent of the old sets used in Western genre movies..

With all the "realism" in superhero movies these days when it comes to settings, this really stuck out like a sore thumb.. There are plenty of small towns here in New Mexico that could have been used. Having what looked like a 1950's version of a wild west town was distracting to me.

Other than that, I really thought the action and the acting, along with the humor were all well done.
Old May 9 2011, 02:53 PM   #263
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

marillion wrote: View Post
Saw this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit... I gave it a solid B, as I didn't think it was quite up there at the "epic" level...

My big quibble was the "town" in New Mexico used as the earthly setting... The whole place felt like a set piece rather than an actual town.. Being here in New Mexico, I can tell you first off that there is no such place, but that's neither here nor there.. It was very reminiscent of the old sets used in Western genre movies..

With all the "realism" in superhero movies these days when it comes to settings, this really stuck out like a sore thumb.. There are plenty of small towns here in New Mexico that could have been used. Having what looked like a 1950's version of a wild west town was distracting to me.

Other than that, I really thought the action and the acting, along with the humor were all well done.
I guess they were looking for a big contrast though between Earth and Asgard, and that surely setup a big contrast between worlds.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 03:26 PM   #264
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Potter is gay?!

Gay as in happy.... I dont thing so..... Voldy kinda has him really depressed and he's not happy....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 03:55 PM   #265
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

HP is the one that'll suck all the air out of the room. Captain America has to contend with Potter's second weekend, but looks pretty clear for its second and third weeks - I mean, Smurfs? Really?
Old May 9 2011, 03:59 PM   #266
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Unless people think the Smurfs movie is Avatar 2.
Old May 9 2011, 04:10 PM   #267
Gaith
Rear Admiral

A $242m worldwide take in the first weekend alone for a $150m budgeted movie with neither the protagonist nor the villain played by recognizable actors? Sounds pretty darn good to moi.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 04:16 PM   #268
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ Unless people think the Smurfs movie is Avatar 2.
The millions of people who made Avatar the most successful movie in history will not be confused. They're smart folks.

Gaith wrote: View Post
A $242m worldwide take in the first weekend alone for a $150m budgeted movie with neither the protagonist nor the villain played by recognizable actors? Sounds pretty darn good to moi.
Against a 150 million dollar negative cost and considering that the biggest chunk of it is international, it's plausible at best; not "pretty darn good."

T'Baio may be right, that 275 million would be tough for a film opening under 70 million. I'll try to look up similar examples.
Old May 9 2011, 04:17 PM   #269
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I think it's more of people craving the summer movie blockbusters after an abysmal to mediocre run of movies since the beginning of the year. Fast Five kind of started the party and now passing the torch to Thor. The fact that both movies are actually pretty good (especially and surprisingly Fast Five) probably helps out a lot too.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2011, 04:27 PM   #270
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Clash Of The Titans pulled 61 million in its first weekend, to reach about 163 million domestic. However, IIRC correctly it wasn't very well received - Thor got largely good reviews, so we can probably assume that word of mouth will be good as well.

The second Fantastic Four movie did 131 million against a 58 million dollar opening.

Abrams's Star Trek movie had an 80 million dollar opening, cost about the same as Thor, and made it to 258 million dollars. It didn't do nearly as well internationally as Thor but has a sequel coming, so the studio must have been happy enough.

On the more optimistic side, Up opened to 68 million, cost 175 million to make, and topped out at 293 million.