To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 6 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
The King's Speech... Amazing film

If you have not seen this movie, do so, post-haste.

So far, this leads my "Favorites of 2011" and will probably stay atop the heap for a while (even though it was released in 2010).

I went as a favor to a friend, not knowing much about it and wound up loving it.

For those not in the know, the condensed plot is that the film centers around King George VI's lifelong struggle with a speech impediment and the work he did with a therapist to overcome it, culminating with his speech to the Empire as it entered war against Germany.

The filmmakers took a few liberties with the timeline involved, mostly I supposed to spare the movie of extra time, but I didn't find that distracting in the least.

One really great thing about it was Helena Bonham Carter.. It was SOOO nice to see her in a role that did not require her to be mad as a hatter. She does that very well, but she is an amazing actress and needs to show it more.
Old January 6 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Switch
Captain

Re: The King's Speech... Amazing film

Yeah, I've been meaning to check this out. The subject matter didn't arouse my interest at first glance, but I've since heard too much good stuff about it to pass it up.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

An absolutely wonderful movie, one of the best I have ever seen and one of only a handful of movies that I would give a 10 out of 10.

Colin Firth deserves an Oscar for his performance. I thought he was excellent in A Single Man but that performance was outshone by this performance. I know that some older people have complained that he doesn't look like George VI but I think it is far better that they concentrated on getting such a good actor for the role rather than just finding someone who looked more like the King. I have read reports that the role was offered to Hugh Grant, if this is so I am grateful he turned it down as I think he would have been terrible in the role.

I like Helena Bonham Carter as Queen Elizabeth. I think it would have been difficult to play the role of a young woman most people only remember as an old lady, and play it convincingly.

My only problem was accepting Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill. Had he been an actor unknown to me he might have been OK but his acting wasn't convincing for me to think "Winston Churchill" rather than "Wormtail".
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 08:32 PM   #4
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

As I stated in the other thread, I totally agree with your comment about Spall. As we chuckled about yet ANOTHER member of the Harry Potter cast being featured in the movie, my friend leaned over to me and commented that the acting pool in England must be shrinking every year.

Guy Pearce probably would have looked more like him, if pictoral accuracy was what they were going for, but I agree that Colin Firth was brilliant in the role.
Old January 6 2011, 08:36 PM   #5
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

It really is brilliant. It's funny and charming, and a fascinating character study. The film just flies by. I absolutely adored it.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Saw it over the holidays. Outstanding movie. Both colin firth and Geoffrey Rush should be up for Oscars if there's any justice in the world.
Old January 7 2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Snaploud
Admiral

This is one of my favorite movies of all-time. Though, I agree that the Churchill actor was a little off-putting.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Just came back from seeing an hour ago and want to see it again. Just a brilliant film, my third favorite film from last year. I can not say enough about Colin Firth's performance as King George VI. As someone who suffered from a cleft pellet when I was younger and went through extensive speech therapy I immediately could relate to Bertie and I loved how the film was crafted around the friendship between these two men. Geoffry Rush was a delight as Lionel Logue. Helena Bonham Carter once again shows her excellent range as an actress with a brilliant and charming performance as the Queen Mom. Alexander Desplat's score was emotional and sweeping. I loved everything about this movie. Will be getting it on DVD when it comes out.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Best. Film. Of The Year.
Old January 8 2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I think that it very well could win Best Picture. I think it will come down to "The King's Speech" "The Social Network" or "The Black Swan".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ I think that it very well could win Best Picture. I think it will come down to "The King's Speech" "The Social Network" or "The Black Swan".
UGH. I LOATHED the Black Swan. Overrated twaddle. Like it was written and directed by a teenager.

All of the shots in mirrors and through glass--YEAH, we GET IT.
All the black and white clothes--WE GET IT.
The Poor French Actor having to say the same thing over and over, "Just let yourself go." WE. GET. IT.

And I HATED Natalie Portman's character. HATE. TED.

Though, I will give it this, it provided a hilarious moment: Winona Ryder stabbing herself with a nail file.

I SO don't get the praise of Black Swan. Heavy handled twaddle. It was like an Art House Showgirls.

Anyway.... Rant done.
Old January 9 2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
It was like an Art House Showgirls.
That was exactly the impression that I formed from the acting in the trailer and the "NP being used as a nosebag" extract.

TKS looks a lot more interesting although Colin Firth isn't nearly chinless enough to play GVIR.

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; January 9 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: ETC quote tagging
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2011, 12:32 AM   #13
Winged Victory
Captain

Wonderful movie! Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush just shine throughout. I would go see it again in a heartbeat. A+
Old January 9 2011, 12:46 PM   #14
cultcross
Say my name...

Saw it last night, and loved it. The cast were absolutely brilliant (I even thought Churchill was reasonably well cast, certainly better than nuWho did it) and Firth in particular was outstanding. Gambon was brilliant as George V and Guy Pearce was the perfect match for Edward VIII. I was very interested in how they handled the abdication - as the film was very much from Bertie's perspective Wallis is the stereotypical 'other woman' but they did have the balls to touch briefly on Edward's sympathy for Hitler which forced Parliament's hand.
However often you see the build-up to war on film, I still feel a chill seeing those news reels of the marching German soldiers, and setting it against the backdrop of the Royal family engaging with a 'normal Englishman' (Australian) really helped set up the importance of the final speech.

My only slight gripe, and it is slight, is that to me Princess Elizabeth was too young at film's end. She's 13 at the outbreak of war, she seemed about 8. But that may be the presentation of a royal child compared with a regular 13 year old that's throwing me off.
Old January 10 2011, 05:30 PM   #15
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

I loved this movie. If Colin Firth doesn't win the Best Actor Oscar, I will be very annoyed.