A small corvette

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by LordSarvain, Apr 11, 2011.

1. LordSarvain

LordSarvain Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A small corvette, once the windows go in the size will be more apparent, don't let the nacelle fool you, it's not that big. B stands for border patrol ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

nice, I like it.
    what are the ball type things? phaser turrets?

3. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I, too, like it.

But positioning the nav deflector right there in front of what I imagine is the bridge makes more sense if this ship was built early on, before they had a more refined understanding of warp and particle dynamics. The design of the dish suggests something close in time to the NX-02 Columbia, since it shares that dish design.

But the design of the ship is very sleek, too sleek to my eye to be THAT early.

4. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better the deflector there than on a stick hanging down from the saucer.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Neat little ship! Though at first I thought the deflector was a big screen TV on an adjustable stand. It needs work.

Oh, and unless most of the saucer is uninhabitable, it can't be too small.

6. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

I like where you're going with this design. My fan-fic stories center on a Border Patrol vessel (Border Service in United Trek parlance) and her crew. This would fit in nicely as a TOS era border cutter/corvette.

I could see the disks at the edge of the saucer as heavy-duty tractor beam emitters. The sensor dish is a little funky-looking, though. Perhaps staying with a round dish might work better? Otherwise, I love the design! :techman:

"Bold Fury," is a great name for a small vessel. Reminds me of the old adage, "it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog." Do you have a class name for this ship?

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i agree good place for Phaser turrets + a very interesting design there :) :techman:

8. LordSarvain

Ok, the ball type things are the future locations of the impulse engines and tractor beam emitters. The disk, that is the thinner portion of the disk is mostly uninhabited machinery space, the phasers will be located at the very front of the ship. The space behind the deflector is dedicated to the machinery of the deflector, the bridge is below that area. This ship is supposed to be contemporaneous with the TOS Constitution ships, 2260's.

The deflector has been rebuilt, I don't want to integrate it into the hull because I want to keep some of the clunkiness that was the style at the time.

So here's some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think, as far as the hangar is concerned, leave it open with a force field barrier? Or do doors?

9. LordSarvain

A little more work done. I put in hangar doors anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Any chance you could use slightly smaller images? I run 1920x1200 on my computer and this thread still manages to give me scroll bars.

Nice work, btw!

11. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I always figured that the sensor dish was relatively far away from the hull because the electromagnetic radiation the thing would put out probably would irradiate and possible eradicate the crew.

12. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

isnt it a bit too small for shuttles?

13. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

We've seen a few of these shapes before (cut-away primary hull, single nacelle, secondary hull melded to primary hull), but you've put them together in an interesting way. But I think the deflector and its mount looks a bit cramped. Have you tried putting it on the neck?

Also, If you want to keep to (the oxymoronic) "TAS-canon" the "B" should be before the number (NCC-B9500), not after the "NCC"

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The deflector does look a bit tacked on as it is, and the squished bottom half makes it look decidedly non-functional. Both could be easily fixed by just making it smaller I think.

Overall some very nice shapes and a unique overall design but that deflector really is killing it for me.

The only other thing I might suggest is echoing something similar to what you have on the inside faces of the nacelles of your Excalibur on either the top or bottom of the single nacelle on this design. I would think the top, especially where the neck joins, gives you a good place to put in such a shape.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks nice to me so far :) :techman:

16. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have to agree with Masao on changing the location of the deflector dish, and changing the registry to NCC-B9500, given that appears to be the trend from what I've seen.

I would personally blend it in the neck in particular, similar to the Nelson.

Its nice to see a corvette, since there aren't a whole lot of those.:bolian:

17. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm REALLY loving it.

It's original while staying paying homage to the Enterprise 1701.

Well done.

18. LordSarvain

@Sojourner, just for you, I knocked the image size down to 1200x545 from the 1536x698, though it seems at your resolution that should have been fine too, then again I'm no monitor expert. Alls I know is I finally upgraded my 10 year old monitor so I went a little crazy with image sizes, just cause I could.

@Potemkin_Prod, you may be right, only time will tell...

@Junxon, No, it's just big enough, but perhaps not for shuttles (plural).

@Masao, I don't want this to be the ugliest ship in space, but I'm ok with it being cramped and a little clunky. I forget where I picked up the impression that the border patrol was the red headed step-child of the Federation, but that's the idea I'm trying to convey with this ship. They get Starfleet's hand-me-downs. Although, I did try the sensor on the neck, just in case you were on to something, it looked like a bow tie, hideous. As far as TAS-canon and the nomenclature, I view TAS in much the same way that I view the Star Wars Holiday Special, "ah, bless your precious little heart, now get the hell out of my Star Trek". So I feel comfortable violating that canon...

@Venardhi, you read my mind, only upside down, I was thinking the bottom for the grills on the nacelle...

@JES, I'm not familiar with the Nelson, but I think we'll stick with the dish where it is.

@Irishman, Glad you like it...

And here's a couple of pics. The shuttle is correct in overall proportions, but not necessarily by each particular part, but it does illustrate that it can take a shuttle. And I'm starting on the impulse engines...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

An interesting design. Kind of reminds me of a cross between the Intrepid-type vessels of the 22nd century and the USS Kelvin of the Abramsverse.

20. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

BLASPHEMY!! STONE HIM!!

What looks awkward and uncomfortable (not clunky, which is fine) is that the barrel of the deflector mount narrow down severely, but then you shoehorn in a large, oval dish attached at its bottom edge. How about making the barrel larger and raising it a bit so that you could have a larger, center-attached, circular dish?