Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 20 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

best and worst of Treknobabble

To me, it's interchangeable, reverse the polarity of the chronotron frazzleblaster up the yinyang. But are there actual quotes of Treknobabble that you like better than others, or quotes that disrupt your internal cranial matrix and result in a subspace expulsion of last night's gagh?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Re: best and worst of Treknobabble

I don't like the neew Federation's phasers on TNG, DS9, and Voy at all. I'd never undertand why they made it like that.
Old May 22 2011, 07:04 AM   #3
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

"Get the cheese to sickbay."

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Forbin
Admiral

^And neither of those was Treknobabble.

A couple that made me laugh were particles of the week: Warp Particles and Chroniton particles.

And of course when they'd throw the prefix "iso" in front of a random word just to make it sound important.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 05:00 PM   #5
ClayHefner
Commander

certainly not the worst, but

CHAKOTAY: Chaotic space intersects ours at the eighteenth dimensional gradient. Voyager entered through A trimetric fracture.

BASHIR: I was running a neural scan and noticed some anomalous protein readings. I thought there must be some mistake, so I ran an at the Journal and amino acid sequence to be sure. But there it was again, the prion mutation rate had spiked. I couldn't believe it. It meant the anomalous proteins had to have a strong quantum resonance.

O'BRIEN: The temporal surge we detected was caused by an explosion of a microscopic singularity passing through this solar system. Somehow, the energy emitted by the singularity shifted the chroniton particles in our hull into a high state of temporal polarisation.

DATA: It appears to be a highly focused aperture in the space-time continuum. Its energy signature matches that of the temporal fragments we observed earlier. However, it is approximately one point two million times as intense. I believe this may be the origin of the temporal fragmentation.
ClayHefner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Rom's Sehlat
Fleet Captain

And the scary part is I know exactly which episodes those are from, and what circumstances were in that part where those lines were said...

But to be fair to the Chak, he was merely parroting an alien's explanation, he didn't understand that crap either.
Rom's Sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2011, 05:46 PM   #7
ClayHefner
Commander

all from one ep. VOY, "Shattered", and that's not nearly all there is

EMH: Fortunately, I was able to create a chronoton-infused serum that brought you back into temporal alignment.

SEVEN: When a Borg cube travels trough a transwarp corridor, the temporal stresses are extreme. To keep the different sections of the Cube in temporal sync, we project a chronoton field throughout the vessel.

SEVEN: Each Cube has specially designed conduits. If we install similar conduits throughout this vessel, then generate a sufficiently powerful field, we may be able to force Voyager back into temporal sync.
CHAKOTAY: Temporal sync with what?
SEVEN: The vessel will return to the moment of the original chrono-kinetic surge. Since the surge will last for six or seven seconds, Commander Chakotay will have a short time in which he could try to counteract the warp core reaction.
CHAKOTAY: Even if we could replicate these conduits, we'd have no way to get them through the temporal barriers.
JANEWAY: Bioneural circuitry.
CHAKOTAY: Captain?
JANEWAY: It runs through every section of the ship, almost like a nervous system. If we could inject the gel packs with your serum, we could use them to transmit the chronoton field.
SEVEN: The warp core could be recalibrated to generate that field.
Old May 22 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I can only imagine what the actors must think, having to learn those lines. "Are they really going to believe this technobabble? Heck, I can barely pronounce it, much less understand what it means."
Old May 22 2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Gary7
Rear Admiral

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
all from one ep. VOY, "Shattered", and that's not nearly all there is

EMH: Fortunately, I was able to create a chronoton-infused serum that brought you back into temporal alignment.

SEVEN: When a Borg cube travels trough a transwarp corridor, the temporal stresses are extreme. To keep the different sections of the Cube in temporal sync, we project a chronoton field throughout the vessel.

SEVEN: Each Cube has specially designed conduits. If we install similar conduits throughout this vessel, then generate a sufficiently powerful field, we may be able to force Voyager back into temporal sync.
CHAKOTAY: Temporal sync with what?
SEVEN: The vessel will return to the moment of the original chrono-kinetic surge. Since the surge will last for six or seven seconds, Commander Chakotay will have a short time in which he could try to counteract the warp core reaction.
CHAKOTAY: Even if we could replicate these conduits, we'd have no way to get them through the temporal barriers.
JANEWAY: Bioneural circuitry.
CHAKOTAY: Captain?
JANEWAY: It runs through every section of the ship, almost like a nervous system. If we could inject the gel packs with your serum, we could use them to transmit the chronoton field.
SEVEN: The warp core could be recalibrated to generate that field.
"Shattered", as in smashed the final barrier to the utmost ridiculous stream of technobabble ever in Star Trek.
Old May 22 2011, 11:57 PM   #10
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The last examples gave me a headache

This is a casual conversation between Geordi and Data, believe it or not:

DATA:In order to complete the scheduled observations, the lateral sensors will require additional processing time.

GEORDI: We could steal a couple of hours while they're recalibrating the thermal interferometery scanner.

DATA:Will a couple of hours be enough time to complete the
high-resolution series on the neutron star?

GEORDI: No problem. We'll just double up the main sensor bandwidth.
It's like speaking another language....
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 12:05 AM   #11
Avon
Fleet Captain

reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

oh wait.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 12:47 AM   #12
Rom's Sehlat
Fleet Captain

Would that be an anti-neutron field? Or a isoneutronic pulse wave carrier?
Rom's Sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 02:31 AM   #13
ClayHefner
Commander

from DS9, "Rejoined".

BEJAL: After we launch our target drone, the Defiant will have to generate a subspace tensor matrix in the twenty five to thirty thousand Cochrane range. Then the drone will send out a magneton pulse which should react with the matrix to create an opening in the space-time continuum.

O'BRIEN: We'll have to reroute the pre-ignition plasma from the impulse deck down to the auxiliary intake to get that much power. But I think we can do it.

DAX: The backup navigation programme is still showing some calibration drift. I think some data may have been lost in the startup routine.
LENARA: Possibly.
PREN: Well, that explains the seven percent falloff in AFR ratios I keep seeing. Must be a problem with diagnostic sub-routines. I have a recalibration unit in my quarters that might solve the problem.

DAX: Our best guess is that the tetryon field reacted to the probe's shielding, producing a massive graviton wave

LENARA: Energise the focal array and stand by to initiate the subspace tensor matrix.
(Dax goes over to Lenara's console.)
DAX: This AQF sequencer, it's always causing me problems.
BEJAL: The plasma coil interlocks are in place. Deflector grid is charged and standing by.

BEJAL: The tensor matrix is forming.
LENARA: Activate the drone.
DAX: The drone is sending out the magneton pulse. It's reached the matrix.
PREN: I'm picking up a subspace distortion.
BEJAL: The distortion's becoming coherent. It's working.
DAX: The magneton pulse is causing a feedback loop. It'll destroy the drone in a few seconds.
Old May 23 2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

ClayHefner wrote: View Post
certainly not the worst, but

CHAKOTAY: Chaotic space intersects ours at the eighteenth dimensional gradient. Voyager entered through A trimetric fracture.

BASHIR: I was running a neural scan and noticed some anomalous protein readings. I thought there must be some mistake, so I ran an at the Journal and amino acid sequence to be sure. But there it was again, the prion mutation rate had spiked. I couldn't believe it. It meant the anomalous proteins had to have a strong quantum resonance.

O'BRIEN: The temporal surge we detected was caused by an explosion of a microscopic singularity passing through this solar system. Somehow, the energy emitted by the singularity shifted the chroniton particles in our hull into a high state of temporal polarisation.

DATA: It appears to be a highly focused aperture in the space-time continuum. Its energy signature matches that of the temporal fragments we observed earlier. However, it is approximately one point two million times as intense. I believe this may be the origin of the temporal fragmentation.
Those quotes go perfectly with your avatar.

I think EMH's "chronoton-infused serum" is my favorite so far...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2011, 04:15 AM   #15
erastus25
Fleet Captain

I am STUNNED that nobody's given any examples of "good" technobabble yet!