Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 14 2011, 06:11 PM   #76
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Breaking In - New FOX Comedy - Christian Slater, Bret Harrison

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Yes, because changing the airtime/date for one episode does such great things for ratings on a show. This is just a way for them to tweek the numbers and say "see? we told you the ratings weren't high enough!"
If the ratings hold firm or don't drop too much, it's proof that the show has its own audience and not just people who are too lazy to reach the remote after Idol. Because if that's all the show has, it deserves cancellation.

FOX is giving the show the chance to prove itself rather than just assuming that it has no significant fanbase of its own. It's more than most cancelled shows get.

The reason that tests like this usually fail is because let's face it, it's hard for any show to develop a fanbase quickly. But that's the reality of the TV environment nowadays. Sink or swim. If anything, I don't think FOX cleared enough timeslots. They had to pass on at least two interesting-sounding pilots (although they're shopping one - Locke & Key - to cable, where it belongs anyway.)

Reality crap is still hogging up way too much of the schedule, that's the real problem.

I really don't see why people love Christian Slater in this at all. He's the only thing that lessens my enjoyment of the show. I'd rather see just about any other actor in that role. He comes across as an obtuse ass, and not in the good, fun, antagonist kind of way. Just a fucking asshole.
All the characters are underwritten (which is why I'd like to see the show given more time - to develop the characters beyond the paper thin level). It's off-putting to see a character who just charges out, being an asshole, with no real explanation. But all the other characters are thin as well. None of them come off as real people - yet. Oz could be a great character with better writing. So could Cam, Cash and Dutch. The others, not so sure about, but four strong characters is enough to pass muster.

The actors right now are just doing what they can to keep the show afloat, by being garish and attention-grabbing, to compensate for the weak writing. Hopefully with more time, the writers will catch up and then the characters and the show will feel more whole.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2011, 07:00 PM   #77
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Checkmate wrote: View Post
I really don't see why people love Christian Slater in this at all. He's the only thing that lessens my enjoyment of the show. I'd rather see just about any other actor in that role. He comes across as an obtuse ass, and not in the good, fun, antagonist kind of way. Just a fucking asshole.
Do a lot of people really "love him" in the role, or are even supposed to love him for that matter? To me, he's little more than a walking talking plot device to advance the story the characters we're supposed to like are participating in from point A to point B.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 04:50 PM   #78
Jetfire

Just finished watching the season(series?) finale "Jump Street"...wow what a great and funny ep. Everyone did a great job. Of course they have Melanie being all angsty that Cam has moved on.
Old May 18 2011, 04:53 PM   #79
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Ah but of course. Is it official though or is Fox still unsure about potentially bringing it back?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 04:56 PM   #80
Jetfire

There is still hope and they should bring it back...it is one of the best shows on IMO.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...he-show/93092/

[edit] http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...n-sinks/93111/

Ugh. Spoke too soon.

Breaking In tumbled all the way down to a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Fox notes that’s 8% better than last week’s Traffic Light. Traffic Light is canceled, and sorry Breaking In fans, so is Breaking In.

9:30 FOX Breaking In (Season Finale) 1.4/318-49 Rating/Sh 3.32 Viewers (Millions)

Last edited by love like winter; May 18 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 18 2011, 05:45 PM   #81
Sheep
Vice Admiral

If they bring it back, let's hope they don't screw it up like they did with the awful retooling of The Loop's second season. I'm one of the few who actually liked the first season of that show but after the studio CLEARLY interfered with it and renewed it for a second season, I lost interest.
Old May 18 2011, 06:24 PM   #82
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If the ratings hold firm or don't drop too much, it's proof that the show has its own audience and not just people who are too lazy to reach the remote after Idol. Because if that's all the show has, it deserves cancellation.
Fair enough, they were coasting on Idol. It's only right that another show gets that slot that will do more than coast.

Oh well, good luck to the actors getting new jobs because several of them are quite good and deserve better material.
Old May 18 2011, 07:18 PM   #83
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, told you a single showing in a different time slot wouldn't help the numbers.
Old May 18 2011, 10:57 PM   #84
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

That's because they didn't tell anyone they were moving the show! Like after last week's episode maybe announce in the coming attractions section that there's going to be a new night? That's okay, we're all psychic.

The way they did it, I think it was all PR spin. If they wanted to give the show a real chance, they needed to tell the viewers. (I noticed my DVR didn't catch the time change and I needed to plug it in manually.)
Old May 19 2011, 12:14 AM   #85
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

It should have been paired up with Glee and Raising Hope from the get-go in my opinion. They could have easily had Kitchen Nightmares or whatever other reality show with American Idol.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote