Rom's Sehlat episode reviews

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Rom's Sehlat, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going to try a new strategy for episode reviews. I'll post them all in one thread, and people can comment as well.

So here I go:
    "Real Life." I like the story about the Doctor moreso than the A-story, or was Doc the A-story? The Doctor gets a 'life' in the holodeck. B'lanna helps him with randomizing it. The very first time "Kenneth" returns to his now randomized home from work, his wife is rushing out the door to a speech, and some loud obnoxious music is blaring. His daughter is searching around for a mallet for a music instrument (I missed which one). His young-teenaged son is the one blaring the loud music. The Doctor asks what that music is: Klingon. Jeffrey returns to his room and turns down or off his stereo. As Belle keeps looking for her mallet, the doorbell rings. It's two teenaged Klingons asking to see Jeffrey. They are Larg and T'kagh. "Jeffrey can't come play because he is doing his homework." But Jeffrey calls out something in Klingon and the two rather thuggish looking youths brush past the Doctor and the daughter and go upstairs with Jeffrey...

Later, The Doctor finds his son at home about to do some violent Klingon ritual. He asks the Klingon boys to leave, and his son calls him a P'taq to his face! The actor did a good job of playing the part, but I would hate to have a kid like that. I hope I wasn't that bratty when I was a youth.

I think this episode is a good example of the "humanizing" of the Doctor. He joins Spock and Data in their searches for their humanity. Especially heart-wrenching is when the Doctor is talking to his daughter after her Parreses Squares accident.