Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade SCRE4M(Scream 4)!
A-Excellent! 5 26.32%
B-Good 7 36.84%
C-Average 5 26.32%
D-Bad 0 0%
F-Horrible! 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16 2011, 06:01 AM   #106
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Re: SCRE4M (Film 2011) Discussion/Grade *Spoilers!*

Very true, Campe98.

If I had one knock on the film, I would say that the Sydney Prescott character was underplayed. Not by Campbell but by the script/editing. They really don't delve into her background and what she's been doing the past ten years.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 06:57 AM   #107
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I've got to say I was quite disappointed with the film. The other films can still make me jump a dozen times; this film only accomplished such once. It wasn't scary. It wasn't funny. It was just dull.

Very minor spoilers follow.

Ghostface (voice) was so much a cardboard cut-out without any real psychology, it was pathetic. Dewey had next to no character; he just drove around a lot and was in charge of a bunch of bad cops. Gail had a moment or two, but little of her old zeal. Sidney, well, she played much less of a scared victim - which was nice - but like the rest, her character was fairly lacking. There was just no thrill or terror, no suspense at all. The film was mostly devoted to the new generation of wanna-bes, none of whom where more than screen props. The film had but a handful of moments with the original 3 that made it worth-while, but otherwise was just a sad example of failure on all levels.

The film had script problems during filming, and such is obvious.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 07:05 AM   #108
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Timby wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've had to duck out of the Scream 4 thread on another forum, simply because someone was live-posting spoilers from a midnight screening....
That's just gotta be annoyin' for everyone who was in the theater with the asshole who kept lightin' up their cellphone.

Old April 16 2011, 07:06 AM   #109
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Ooooh that annoys me lol. Hate that. People texting during films. Turn your freaking phones off please.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2011, 07:35 AM   #110
Aldo
Admiral

Campe98 wrote: View Post

One question of a spoilery nature:

My whole reply will be in spoiler code:

That is my favorite twist of the movie.
Old April 17 2011, 12:21 AM   #111
Amasov
Rear Admiral

I just got back from seeing it. I can't say I enjoyed it.

I found it to be the worst opening sequence of the series. Critics seemed to say it was brilliant and clever. I didn't think so. Easily the worst teaser of the series, in my opinion.

It just wasn't very good. It's a film that is clearly stuck in the 90s. The formula just doesn't seem to really work anymore. The "rules" that were set up in this film were lame and couldn't have disagreed more with them.

Gail wasn't the Gail that I remember. I miss her being the pushy and outspoken reporter that she was in the previous movies. I didn't feel she had any good moments here. Dewey was the same. He seemed to take a backseat for this one and did nothing but drive around in his cruiser at 900 miles per hour. The main characters were an issue for me too. None of them seemed to even care about one another.

I vividly remember seeing Scream 2 and 3 in the theater. The audience was having a hell of a good time. The audience would jump, scream, and then laugh afterward -- especially in Scream 3. Say what you want about that film, but I found it to be extremely entertaining and funny; especially the scenes involving the real Gale and the actress Gale. In the screening I went to, no one jumped, screamed, nothing. This movie just continued the trend of the third film in that it simply turned into the movie the first two spoofed in the first place.

There's just been too much time. This day and age doesn't seem appropriate for a movie like this anymore. Unlike the original, I don't think we're going to see a resurgence of slasher films.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2011, 03:53 AM   #112
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I just hope it doesn't lead to more crap like Scary Movie, Meet the Spartans, and Vampires Suck. It lead to Scary Movie and that led to all these horribly unfunny "spoofs."

Mary McDonnell has a small role in the film. It's not much at all but it's nice to see her...although she's looking old and haggerd now.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2011, 04:49 AM   #113
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i just got back and i really enjoyed this film. kinda easy to figure out who the killers were, but the whole last half of the film was just great. i thought i had it figured out and it surprised me.

it was a good movie experience too. no one being an ass, no one on their phones. and people actually clapped. i've only ever been to two or three other movies where that happened.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2011, 09:30 AM   #114
Aldo
Admiral

People clapped at my theater too. Of course I went to the midnight showing on Thursday, so there were probably a fair amount of Scream fans in attendance.
Old April 19 2011, 07:18 AM   #115
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Just saw it tonight. It wasn't "good" but these films never really are. I enjoyed it anyway. I went to see attractive people dropping F-bombs and getting stabbed while winking at the camera. That's all Scream ever was and that's all it still is.

It gets a C on its merits as a film but I still had a good enough time to say that I enjoyed myself.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2011, 04:41 PM   #116
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I saw it yesterday. I thought the beginning and ending were really solid, fun and clever. The hour between them sagged quite a bit, though.

Still, better than 'Scream 3.'
Old April 19 2011, 08:27 PM   #117
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Jetfire wrote: View Post
This might be better in TV/Media...but what the hell...if MODs feel like moving it...that is fine...but...

SCRE4M or Scream 4

Scream 4 (stylized as SCRE4M) is an upcoming slasher film and the fourth installment in the Scream series. It was directed by Wes Craven and written by Kevin Williamson, writer of Scream and Scream 2. It stars an ensemble cast of David Arquette, Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere. Campbell, Arquette and Cox are the only returning cast members from the previous films.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_4

Some major hotties in this...
Neve Campbell
Courteney Cox
Emma Roberts
Hayden Panettiere
Alison Brie
Marielle Jaffe
Britt Robertson
Aimee Teegarden
Shenae Grimes
Lucy Hale
Kristen Bell
Anna Paquin

Past & hopefully future GBOW/BOW

SCRE4M Trailer

It comes out 4-15-2011...a week from now. So don't vote until you see it but feel free to discuss all the hype till then.

I enjoyed the first 3 movies and want to see this one as well.

C-

Silly, but yep, it was full of screaming eye candy.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 07:58 AM   #118
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Without going into too much detail (really because I'm tired at the moment) I'll say that it was good. Gave it a B. This was much better than "Scream 3" even with the contrived elements in the movie. The cast for the most part was strong (even Emma Roberts whom I found to be extremely annoying all the way through the film), Marco Beltrami's score was excellent as usual. I could almost detect what Ehren Kruger contributed/script doctored/hacked up from Kevin Willamson's script. Why this guy keeps getting work is beyond me. He's right up there with Zak Penn right in terms of one of my least favorite writers. There were definitely some silly moments and scenes in this movie but ultimately I enjoyed it and despite jumping at a couple moments I wasn't scared. The first film is really the only of the four that scared the crap out of me.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2011, 11:24 AM   #119
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
There were definitely some silly moments and scenes in this movie but ultimately I enjoyed it and despite jumping at a couple moments I wasn't scared. The first film is really the only of the four that scared the crap out of me.
Yeah, although Scream isn't terrifying or anything, there's definitely a greater sense of dread and fear in that one than in any of the subsequent movies. This occurred to me while I was watching Scream 4.

Scream let the preamble to the kills really breathe. Ghostface was on the phone and he was less furious and the scenes went on a little longer. The scariest parts of a Scream movie aren't Ghostface knifing somebody, it's the creeping dread beforehand. Scream 4 seemed way too anxious to skip to the bloody part, which is almost always less interesting.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 12:57 AM   #120
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

timothy is offline   Reply With Quote