Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 22 2011, 01:39 PM   #196
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Re-Imagined K'tinga/D7

Awesome!
Old June 22 2011, 09:25 PM   #197
JRoss
Captain

All hail REL! That's seriously the greatest Klingon ship ever conceived.
Old June 22 2011, 09:51 PM   #198
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
^^^You can't argue with RGB values.
I can see how people assume a gray model when the colors look like they're the result of a teal light from the underside and a lavender light coming from above.
Sure, someone could infer that if they thought about it that way, but the ship never appears gray unless you watch it on a black and white set.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 10:44 PM   #199
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Not only that, but the cobra head of the ship is lavender in one shot and green in another.

D7s have active color-changing hulls.

You can't argue with RGB values.
Old June 22 2011, 10:51 PM   #200
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

^^^You can't argue with RGB values.
I can see how people assume a gray model when the colors look like they're the result of a teal light from the underside and a lavender light coming from above.
Sure, someone could infer that if they thought about it that way, but the ship never appears gray unless you watch it on a black and white set.
Never had a B&W set.

So... given that you're basing the actual color upon the way it looks in any given shot... what color was the Enterprise, again?

FYI, both of the images above strike me as grey ships, under different lighting conditions.

Psion wrote: View Post
Not only that, but the cobra head of the ship is lavender in one shot and green in another.

Evidently, the ship is covered with amphibian skin???
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 11:03 PM   #201
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Looks like the on-set lighting was overwhelming whatever colors the model was painted with.

By-the-by, I recall having a Star Trek: The Magazine issue sitting around somewhere where Jeffries talks about the D7 design and construction, and I recall he mentions it being painted in two tones of greeny-gray, inspired by sharkskin. Anybody else remember that?
Old June 22 2011, 11:05 PM   #202
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I'm probably overstepping my mark here about about a mile, and I've also probably butchered REL's *amazing* design, but I absolutely love it and I want to see it in motion.

But first I have to build it.

This is after a few hours work. I really hope its cool to post it here, as I absolutely love this design and just wanna do stuff to it.

Err, do stuff with it.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 11:56 PM   #203
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Looks like the on-set lighting was overwhelming whatever colors the model was painted with.

By-the-by, I recall having a Star Trek: The Magazine issue sitting around somewhere where Jeffries talks about the D7 design and construction, and I recall he mentions it being painted in two tones of greeny-gray, inspired by sharkskin. Anybody else remember that?
Not only do I remember it, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to perfectly match that color combination. I was very pleased with my final paint job on my modified AMT kit... it looked identical, under various different lighting conditions, to what was seen on-screen, as far I'm concerned. One color was grey with a hint of a dark bluish-purple, and the other was grey with a hint of slight pale green. But both were still very much grey.

I'm convinced that the reason for the two colors was for the same reason that the 1701 model got the p-hull "undercut." To trick the eye into seeing something besides just a big blobby shape.

The TMP Klingon was also painted with a grey that had definite hints of olive drab in it... but when seen on-screen, it resembled bare metal, and I'm convinced it was supposed to. Of course, if you simply take RGB values from pixels, this tells you nothing... especially when you consider that the ship was supposed to be seen in the bizarre light of V'Ger's cloud formation, wasn't it?

The TMP Enterprise, on-screen was mainly greys, with only slight visible color in the hull paneling. The real paint job had quite a bit more color in it than was seen on-screen. The green got washed out during optical compositing, and the result was mostly whites and greys.

Of course, the shots which were inside of V'Ger were shot with different lighting... so I suppose this means that the ship was nearly white when it left Earth but got REALLY DIRTY going through the wormhole???
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 01:05 AM   #204
REL
Commander

Dac wrote: View Post
I'm probably overstepping my mark here about about a mile, and I've also probably butchered REL's *amazing* design, but I absolutely love it and I want to see it in motion.

But first I have to build it.

This is after a few hours work. I really hope its cool to post it here, as I absolutely love this design and just wanna do stuff to it.

Err, do stuff with it.
Fantastic! I'm getting the ortho shots ready so you can get the profiles.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 02:32 AM   #205
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I DID say that the ship appeared green on the viewer, just that I don't recall it ever appearing gray.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 03:55 AM   #206
Warped9
Admiral

REL, I love this design. Awesome! It's definately one of my favourite Klingon designs alongside the D7 and the K'tinga-class.
Old June 23 2011, 07:17 AM   #207
Psion
Commodore

I DID say that the ship appeared green on the viewer, just that I don't recall it ever appearing gray.
Well, I do admit to having a little fun with your comment about the RGB values, but, honestly, with the exception of the viewscreen shot that just looks weird (like it was colorized), I think the D7 has always looked grayish to me. Now maybe my perception is influenced by childhood recollections of the AMT kit (which was produced in gray plastic), but it's not exactly a colorful ship.

Even if the cobra head is coated in chromatophores.
Old June 24 2011, 12:38 AM   #208
Warped9
Admiral

Hmm. The D7 kit I had back in 1971 was in white plastic.
Old June 24 2011, 03:08 AM   #209
Psion
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Hmm. The D7 kit I had back in 1971 was in white plastic.
It's possible that was an unusual pigment run. The one I had back around that period was gray, as was another I saw a kid playing with on the playground in third grade. The unbuilt one I currently have in the basement is also molded in gray. And this one being sold on E-Bay shows gray parts still on the sprue and in their bag.

By the way, I found an interesting article on the original model that confirms it was painted in purple and green. I guess you really can't argue with RGB values.
Old June 24 2011, 04:52 AM   #210
Warped9
Admiral

If I'm not mistaken even the original box art for the kit wasn't in grey. And it's long been known that the original filming miniature wasn't grey.