Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 5 2011, 05:38 PM   #16
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: The Death of Air Bender 2?

I wouldn't be surprised if they eaked out a mild profit on the first film, when all the sides were added. The decision to proceed with a sequel would be based on whether they thought a sequel would hold/build on the first's audience; based on the awful reception, I think that's a doubtful prospect.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
150 million plus 180 million equals less than the movie made.

But why use math when people aren't bright enough to figure it out?
Where's your $180 million figure coming from? Both The Numbers and Box Office Mojo report a production budget of $150 million (and, The Numbers also points out that the DVD sales for the movie were an additional $30 million).

And, a quick search informs me that my estimate of $150 million for P&A was high--Paramount spent closer to $130 million according to this story.

Thus, the film cost the studio about $280 million. Excluding television sales, their revenue totaled close to $350 million--that's a $70 million profit. It's not huge, by blockbuster standards (consider that The Dark Knight made back its $185 million production budget as well as a good portion of P&A in DVD sales alone), but it's still a profit.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 07:15 PM   #18
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Dennis wrote: View Post
They're not inclined to invest in sequels to a film that cost an enormous amount to produce and promote and which returned a small profit - what if the next one winds up costing a little more and making a little less.

Welcome to Hollywood math 101.
And yet, this exact same studio has done just what you're describing, with the Star Trek films. It wasn't until The Voyage Home, the fourth in its series, that they truly had a blockbuster. Both 2 and 3 made less money than the movie before it, which is what you describe above, yet they kept going.

It's Paramount. They love to throw money at failing franchises, and sometimes they strike gold.

And sometimes they bring out 20 sequels to a movie about a freak serial killer who wears a hockey mask and they end up losing money each time, so ...
Old April 5 2011, 07:22 PM   #19
Merky
Captain

I think the difference in this case is that there were fandoms that supported the movies.

Airbender has a fandom that turned their back on it and were very vocal about it. Paramount knows that they can't risk another movie knowing that the fandom will not support it as long at MNS has creative control and casting remains the same.
Old April 5 2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I thought the casting was alright, except for Uncle Iro being so skinny and acting completely different than the Anime character. That, and the butchering of the pronounciations were my biggest complaints.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 07:43 PM   #21
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post

Where's your $180 million figure coming from? Both The Numbers and Box Office Mojo report a production budget of $150 million (and, The Numbers also points out that the DVD sales for the movie were an additional $30 million).
It's in your links.
$187 million is the films overseas gross.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I thought the casting was alright, except for Uncle Iro being so skinny and acting completely different than the Anime character. That, and the butchering of the pronounciations were my biggest complaints.
This and the race bending issue became the least of the films problems upon release IMO.

The acting, the directing, the editing, the pacing, the character development & motivation, the choreography was ALL bad. All of it!!

Last edited by exodus; April 5 2011 at 07:53 PM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 10:46 PM   #22
Dream
Admiral

Dump MNS and get a new director. Any other person would be an upgrading. Also lower the budget, these type of movies should have a smaller budget like the Percy Jackson movies (95 million). I think most fans would give the sequel a chance.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 10:47 PM   #23
SG-17
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I read this today: Does Will Smith not want Wild Wild West to be considered his worst film anymore?

Wild Wild West was a good film.

I Am Legend, with its changed ending was his worst film (well Hancock might overtake it).

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 11:38 PM   #24
clint g
Admiral

The powers that be would probably be better off going in the other direction and making an animated film sequel to the Avatar cartoon rather then redoing the series as a live action film.
Old April 5 2011, 11:40 PM   #25
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
The powers that be would probably be better off going in the other direction and making an animated film sequel to the Avatar cartoon rather then redoing the series as a live action film.
They are making a Sequel Series for Nickelodeon, pictures of the main female Character were released within the last month

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2011, 11:43 PM   #26
Dream
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
They are making a Sequel Series for Nickelodeon, pictures of the main female Character were released within the last month
Yeah, the show already has a full season.

The main character is really Wonder Womanish.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 12:03 AM   #27
clint g
Admiral

Ah, I see they're one step ahead of me
Old April 6 2011, 12:36 AM   #28
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Excluding television sales, their revenue totaled close to $350 million--that's a $70 million profit.
It would be, if the studio got every penny of the box office gross - it's not like exhibitors actually make all their money on the popcorn, you know. And the overseas split is considerably less favorable, and there are foreign distributors in the mix as well.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 12:48 AM   #29
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I suspect a lot of the first films grosses were from fans of the series who went out of curiosity. I doubt many of them would be willing to go back for a second helping after that experience.

Honestly people, just go rent the tv series. It's so much better than watching a cut down condensed version of the story.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 02:02 AM   #30
Harvey
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Excluding television sales, their revenue totaled close to $350 million--that's a $70 million profit.
It would be, if the studio got every penny of the box office gross - it's not like exhibitors actually make all their money on the popcorn, you know. And the overseas split is considerably less favorable, and there are foreign distributors in the mix as well.
Excellent point. When you factor in the exhibitor's cut (as much as 50%) it's barely profitable, if at all. Can't believe I missed that. D'oh!

exodus wrote:
It's in your links.
$187 million is the films overseas gross.
That doesn't make sense, either. If $180 million is supposed to be the foreign gross, not only is it off by $7 million, but the bigdaddy's $150 million number doesn't make any sense, because the film grossed $130 million domestically. His numbers are still off, although the argument is a bit moot, since Dennis wisely corrected my conclusion.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote