To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Where would you like to see the DS9 Relaunch go from here
Return to the post The Soul Key timefram, 15 21.74%
Continue forward with the Avatar-The Soul Key cast back, filling in the gaps as we go 13 18.84%
Continue the storyline with a mostly new cast, and occaisional guest appearances by the A-TSK cast and fill in the gaps as we go 9 13.04%
Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue forward with A-TSK cast back 13 18.84%
Fill in the gaps novel/trilogy/whatever, then continue with new cast and occaisional appeareances by A-TSK cast 13 18.84%
no opinion 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2011, 08:25 AM   #16
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Poll: Future of DS9 (unofficial fellow reader/writer opinions)

I want Sisko in a wife-beater hitting the bars with the occasional drunken vid-call to his daughter saying "You know you are better off without me" - apart from that I'm easy.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Shon T'Hara
Lieutenant Commander

Do a trilogy to fill the gap between the relaunch and Destiny, then stick a fork in the series. With the cast scattered like it is, I'd rather have books focusing on individual characters and their post-DS9 lives.
Shon T'Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 06:07 PM   #18
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I want Sisko in a wife-beater hitting the bars with the occasional drunken vid-call to his daughter saying "You know you are better off without me" - apart from that I'm easy.
Based on Sisko's last appearance it wouldn't shock me to see this some day.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 06:23 PM   #19
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'm only in the middle of Rough Beasts of Empire, but at this stage, I could very conceivably envision characters such as Sisko, Kira, and the DS9 characters aboard Aventine (Dax, Bowers, Leishman, and Dr. Tarses) showing up in future DS9 stories as supporting characters, much like the way that Janeway, Seven, and The Doctor showed up in the pre-Full Circle Voyager relaunch novels, which means that if you keep Quark, Ro, and Julian as main characters, you're only dealing with introducing between 5 or 6 new characters, which is only between 1 to 2 more new characters than were introduced in Avatar (4).

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 07:29 PM   #20
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

I'd like to see a mix-and-match of the 'fresh start' and 'returning crew'

Captain Ro Laren - okay, cool. I like this.

First Officer - Sam Lavelle? Maybe even play with some of the material from the TNG DW books involving him an Ro. Or even better - Thomas Riker!

CMO - Bashir, of course.

Security Chief - Lt. Commander Nog, returned from the Challenger. Quark would still be around, and it would be a fun counterpoint to have Nog filling Odo's shoes.

Ops - Chief O'Brien finally returns.

Sciences - Mixed. I'm not sure if I want Shar back, or someone new. Leaning towards someone new.

After that, a couple other new characters to fill things out wouldn't be bad. Aventine could come by for missions periodically, as could the Robinson, depending on how that story goes.
Old March 31 2011, 08:05 PM   #21
Kinggodzillak
Commander

flemm wrote: View Post
Secondly, we have seen that most of the original cast of the show, with the exception of Quark, are no longer on the station.
I'd been thinking about getting back into the Relaunch now that I've got my Kindle (I only ever read the Twist of Faith omnibus) but seeing that comment doesn't particularly entice me. How much is it DS9 if all the characters from the show have left? No offence to any of the authors who created them but the characters of Prynn, Vaughn, Ch'Thane etc just don't have the same appeal, and speaking as a Kira nut it's really sad to see she's apparently gone from central character to 'someone we might see briefly every so often'...
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 08:09 PM   #22
black_dranzer
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to black_dranzer

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
Secondly, we have seen that most of the original cast of the show, with the exception of Quark, are no longer on the station.
I'd been thinking about getting back into the Relaunch now that I've got my Kindle (I only ever read the Twist of Faith omnibus) but seeing that comment doesn't particularly entice me. How much is it DS9 if all the characters from the show have left? No offence to any of the authors who created them but the characters of Prynn, Vaughn, Ch'Thane etc just don't have the same appeal, and speaking as a Kira nut it's really sad to see she's apparently gone from central character to 'someone we might see briefly every so often'...
Kira's still a main character up until beyond the end of The Soul Key...she leaves at some point before Rough Beasts of Empire, hasn't been chronicled in the DS9-R yet though
Old March 31 2011, 09:16 PM   #23
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Did Zero Sum Game mention who the new security officer on DS9 was?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 09:18 PM   #24
Reanok
Commodore

I want to see a wrap up the Dominion story and waht happened to Odo and Lass being the new leaders of what's left of the Dominion and the Ascendant storyline. I'm halfway through Rough bests of the empire I have to say when it comes to Sisko is written he seems totally out of character of what we saw in the tv series I'd like to see a novel where he gets his act together and quits running away from his problems and to answers the mystery as to why the wormhole aliens broke off contact with him.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 09:54 PM   #25
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

If I had the privilege of selecting the DS9 relaunch main cast going forward from RBoE and ZSG, it would be as follows:
Ro Laren (Commanding officer)
New character (First officer)
Prynn Tenmei
Julian Bashir (Chief medical officer)
Phillipa Matthias (Chief counselor)
New character (Chief of Operations)
Tariq Rahim (Chief science officer)
Quark (Barkeep/Ferengi ambassador)
Kira Nerys (Bajoran temple administrator/spiritual leader)

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 10:31 PM   #26
DeVario
Commodore

toughlittleship wrote: View Post
Did Zero Sum Game mention who the new security officer on DS9 was?
No, not that I recall.
DeVario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 11:26 PM   #27
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

black_dranzer wrote: View Post
Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
.....speaking as a Kira nut it's really sad to see she's apparently gone from central character to 'someone we might see briefly every so often'...
Kira's still a main character up until beyond the end of The Soul Key...she leaves at some point before Rough Beasts of Empire, hasn't been chronicled in the DS9-R yet though
She left the station due to whatever changes and revelations happened during the business with the Ascendants. So if and when we see that, she'll be centre stage. And I'm sure she won't be swept to the side afterwards. She's changed her role; why can't the novels change their focus somewhat to keep her in the spotlight? The Ascendants story could set up all sorts of possibilities for a spiritual "quest" starring Vedek Kira. I doubt they'll sideline her; they'll just find a new focus that'll let them use her in new ways.
Old March 31 2011, 11:41 PM   #28
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

After 18 years, I think it's about time there was a new crew at DS9, IMO. Don't know why Bashir is still there feeling sorry for himself when he could probably easily land the CMO position on a long-range starship and get really involved in "frontier medicine."
Old April 1 2011, 03:21 AM   #29
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Hey, wasn't there a new Bajoran Liaison introduced just before the big jump? Couldn't he be first officer?

ETA: Indeed, Major Cenn Desca.
Old April 1 2011, 03:23 AM   #30
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Hey, wasn't there a new Bajoran Liaison introduced just before the big jump? Couldn't he be first officer?
Major Cenn Desca, yes.