Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 6 2015, 01:19 AM   #1
ConRefit79
Captain

Why no more in series Enterprise Novels

Why are all the novels for Enterprise set after Terra Prime? I'm sure there is still room for more stories before the Earth - Romulan War.

It seems like TOS and occasionally TNG are the only series that gets stories published that are not part of a relaunch series.

Last edited by ConRefit79; March 6 2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling error
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 04:19 AM   #2
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Re: Why no mor in series Enterprise Novels

I don't know what you mean. We've had

By The Book (Season 1)
What Price Honor? (Season 1)
Surak's Soul (Season 1)
Daedalus (Season 1-2)
Daedaluses Children (Season 1-2)
Rosetta (Season 4)
Last Full Measure (Season 3)

Plus the novelizations of Broken Bow, Shockwave & The Expabse/The Xindi. And there are even more stories in the Strange New Worlds anthologies and Enterprise plays a role in the Brave And The Bold duology.

You have to remember that Season 3 was also a Season-long story arc, so it's tough to write a story in the middle of another story, as can be seen with Last Full Measure.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

^ To be fair, the OP did ask why there were no *more* novels set during the series. Out of all the ones you mentioned, the most recent new release is from 2007 (SNW 10).

Personally, I'm happy staying in the RotF era, but I know everyone has different tastes.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 05:10 AM   #4
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
^ To be fair, the OP did ask why there were no *more* novels set during the series.
"To be fair" is not correct here. The OP asked "Why are all the novels for Enterprise set after Terra Prime?" Clearly they are not aware of any novels set during the series.

Also with TNG we haven't had a story set during the TV series since about 2009.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 05:56 AM   #5
ConRefit79
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
^ To be fair, the OP did ask why there were no *more* novels set during the series.
"To be fair" is not correct here. The OP asked "Why are all the novels for Enterprise set after Terra Prime?" Clearly they are not aware of any novels set during the series.

Also with TNG we haven't had a story set during the TV series since about 2009.
Sorry, I'm aware of them. I was asking why are they not writing any more.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 09:04 AM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why no more in series Enterprise Novels

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Why are all the novels for Enterprise set after Terra Prime? I'm sure there is still room for more stories before the Earth - Romulan War.

It seems like TOS and occasionally TNG are the only series that gets stories published that are not part of a relaunch series.
It's just the current style to move onward with the narrative. It allows for change of a sort not possible in "between episodes" adventures (i.e. events having lasting repercussions)
Old March 6 2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Lack of interest / demand.

Personally, I'd rather all novels were set after the series (whether Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager) unless the story just can't be done later.

We've really had lots of 'in series' stories er, in the series...
Old March 6 2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Idran
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Only if you ignore the title of the thread.
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 03:50 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

TOS is the only one which regularly publishes "in series" novels, and that is because TOS novels set during the 5 year mission still remain to this day the best selling Trek novels period. Since DS9, Voyager and Enterprise only manage to secure one novel release a year, maybe two if they're lucky, that inevitably becomes one of the post-finale novels in order to "make it count."
Old March 6 2015, 06:51 PM   #10
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Lack of interest / demand.

Personally, I'd rather all novels were set after the series (whether Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 or Voyager) unless the story just can't be done later.

We've really had lots of 'in series' stories er, in the series...
I agree with this. I understand TOS ones are the best selling but still I'd rather only have one or two of those a year. Still if they help generate enough revenue to make the post-finale ones possible then by all means keep them coming.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 07:37 PM   #11
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

ialfan wrote: View Post
Still if they help generate enough revenue to make the post-finale ones possible then by all means keep them coming.
Indeed !
Old March 6 2015, 10:29 PM   #12
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Kirks 5 year mission was 260 weeks long. Are there enough weeks to fill the entire series and all the novels?
Paul Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Paul Weaver wrote: View Post
Kirks 5 year mission was 260 weeks long. Are there enough weeks to fill the entire series and all the novels?
If all TOS novels took place in the same continuity, they'd probably pad the 5-year mission out to 10 or 12 years by now. That's why they generally tend to be self-contained.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 11:07 PM   #14
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Why no more in series Enterprise Novels

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post

Actually, it's only TOS.

And I agree, there should be more novels set within their respective series. Ironically, ENTERPRISE is the exception. I actually enjoy reading about Archer's crew in the early years of the Federation. Of course, if they ever do go back to doing novels within the series time frame, a new adventure set within ENTERPRISE'S four years would be welcome.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

...and there's always the "2nd five-year mission" idea, more room there.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote