Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Savage Trade.
Outstanding 0 0%
Above Average 6 27.27%
Average 9 40.91%
Below Average 5 22.73%
Poor 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14 2015, 02:40 PM   #1
Sho
Fleet Captain

TOS: Savage Trade by Tony Daniel Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Almost exactly one year after his debut effort Devil's Bargain hit the shelves, Tony Daniel's second book Savage Trade is set to follow. This one is a bit hard to get a handle on - the blurb only offers the familiar premise of the Enterprise happening upon the mystery of a deserted space (then again, I personally have a thing for those). Street date: Feb 24th.

Said blurb:

An all-new Star Trek: Original Series novel from noted sci-fi author Tony Daniel, featuring James T. Kirk, Spock, and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise!

The U.S.S. Enterprise under the command of Captain James T. Kirk is en route to the extreme edge of the Alpha Quadrant, and to a region known as the Vara Nebula. Its mission: to investigate why science outpost Zeta Gibraltar is not answering all Federation hailing messages. When the Enterprise arrives, a scan shows no life forms in the science station. Kirk leads a landing party and quickly discovers the reason for the strange silence—signs of a violent firefight are everywhere. Zeta Gibraltar has been completely raided. Yet there are no bodies and the entire roster of station personnel is missing…
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: TOS: Savage Trade by Tony Daniel Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Waiting for my copy to ship...
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Leto_II
Commander

Yeah, definitely looking forward to this one. Really enjoyed Devil's Bargain.
Old February 20 2015, 03:35 AM   #4
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I just picked up my copy at Coles this afternoon (it wasn't on the shelf, I checked, but I had pre-ordered it so it was behind the counter). I don't know when I'll get around to it, just like I haven't read his first book yet.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Reanok
Commodore

I'm waiting for Savage Trade to come in th mail soon.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

For some reason mine may not ship until March 1st.
Old February 24 2015, 04:56 AM   #7
Avro Arrow
Commodore

It's a weird feeling to get to the end of a book and to not have any idea whether you actually liked it or not...

I'm leaning towards "average", but there were enough things in the book that I actively disliked that I might end up at "below average". Will have to ruminate a bit.

One thing that really jumped out at me, and I know I have mentioned this with other books and authors before, but... there was a lot of repetition. It seemed to happen rather frequently that something was revealed, and then a few pages would go by, and it was "revealed" again. It almost seemed like it was being written for an audience with memory issues or something. Which I admit I have, but generally on a longer scale than that...
Old February 24 2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Is "excessive" repetition a modern writing technique in Trek novels?
Old February 25 2015, 02:17 AM   #9
Leto_II
Commander

Picked this up on the way home from work this afternoon. About six chapters in, and there already a couple of glaring continuity boo-boos:

That said, rather enjoying this one so far, and looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Last edited by Leto_II; February 25 2015 at 06:11 AM.
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2015, 06:41 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Is "excessive" repetition a modern writing technique in Trek novels?
Not as far as I know. Trust me, there's been no official memo or policy to that effect.
Old February 26 2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

My copy has appeared. I expect to start it by Saturday.
Old March 2 2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Markonian
Fleet Captain

What an entertaining read!

I enjoyed the comparatively light-hearted tone and the information about the 22nd century. Plus, the book fulfilled it's role as a sequel superbly.

Besides minor continuity issues, which have already been addressed, there were two things I would like to call attention to. Firstly, is a tiny Archer-class vessel suitable as a diplomatic transport? Probably when it's about speed. On the other hand, if future bureaucrats are not as pompous anymore, this detail would actually reinforce the notion of Humans (and others) with an "evolved sensibility".

The other thing is, the Excalbians reproduced Humans only? And nobody who lived beyond the 21st century either. There would've been an opportunity for a Captain Archer cameo, or maybe even Robau. We know from various novels that Spock is not the only extraterrestrial on the ship. Theoretically, there could've been an Caitian or Triexian historical personality, or even another Vulcan.

I loved the British-American-themed state the Excalbians founded, with a fleet of ships (with prefixes! ). I wonder whether N.E.S. stands for New Excalbian ship or New Excalbia ship? They seemed to avoid the adjective/demonym in combination with the "New". In a single instance, the text referred to the NEV Victory, but I guess that's a typo meant to be overlooked, rather than the Excalbians changing their registry in mid-battle.

I'm not that familiar with Babylon 5, but the Shadow ship served as the template for the suitably alien L'rah'hane pirate ship.

The issue of the unexpected return of the L'rah'hane and the Hradrian Empire (Hadrian?) was setup as a mystery but not resolved. Sequel hook?

Another plus was the setting in the densely filled nebula, which provided a nice alternative backdrop to the usual spacey black. I envisioned the nebula in yellow and orange tones. It was actually easy to visualize. The description of Zeta Gib was equally vivid and provided a change from the usual dark barren-worlds.

Concerning the timing of the book, I found it gratifying to read a novel featuring Spock. I began to read it on the 26th, and finished last night.
Old March 3 2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

About a third through and am uncertain if the Excalbians are the "A" or "B" plot.
Old March 8 2015, 04:03 AM   #14
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
About a third through and am uncertain if the Excalbians are the "A" or "B" plot.
They are the "C" plot.

Anyone know if the Demiurge here can in any way be related to the D'myurj from the New Frontier series?
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2015, 05:18 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Anyone know if the Demiurge here can in any way be related to the D'myurj from the New Frontier series?
Demiurge is the word for the maker of the physical universe in Platonic and other ancient philosophical schools, from the Greek word for craftsman or artisan. If anything, despite the similar name (presumably intentional on PAD's part), the D'myurj sound like the opposite of the Demiurge, since they're trying to shepherd physical beings into transcending the physical and becoming pure thought, while the Demiurge in philosophy is the being or force that converted the intangible essence of reality into physical substance and form.

No idea what the Demiurge you're referring to in the novel is like, but presumably that's a name given it by the English-speaking characters or the Universal Translator, rather than its actual phonetic name for itself.