Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 26 2011, 07:50 PM   #31
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: What functions do the Storm Trooper armor serve?

Oooohhhh: Storm Trackers????

Or Storm Chasers????
Old March 26 2011, 08:18 PM   #32
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

infinix wrote: View Post
SW.Republic Commando was a great game, but EU is EU.

Yeah, not to mention that it takes place in the Clone War era, which means things could have changed since then. It could very well be that the practice of cloning out of perfect soldiers fell out of use, perhaps because it was too expensive so that by the time ANH rolls around, the Empire is using soldiers that aren't as well trained as they should be, but as compensation maybe have larger numbers of them. Which begs the question, what exactly did happen to the clone troopers after the war was over? Is there any point of transition where the Empire starts looking more like the Empire in ANH compared to that of the Clone Wars? Everything looks so different between the two, with a few exceptions.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:23 PM   #33
KJbushway
Commodore

But now that I know what your talking about.
Yeah it seem that where ever you hit them with blasters the get hit and fall down. I don't think the armor serves much use other than for looking apeal.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:27 PM   #34
captcalhoun
Admiral

the novels Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st partly deal with a transistion away from Kamino-produced clones and increased numbers of mongrel (IE baseline human) officers in the forces. it's also made clear that combat aside, clones have a limited life-expectancy due to the Kaminoans accelerated aging (something like 20 years in 5 calender years) of them to physical maturity.

so, by the time of ANH, nearly all the clones from the Clone Wars are dead either through combat or through aging. thus, the Imperial Army and Navy are instead reliant on either conscripts or volunteers from the human populace. and since they didn't spend the first five years of their lives being drilled in tactics, combat and live-fire exercises, they aren't as good.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 08:49 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Regarding Imperial Stormtrooper marksmanship: is everyone forgetting Tarkin let the gang escape so he could follow them back to the rebel base? Leia even mentioned that it was "too easy." The Stormtroopers were ordered to shoot everything but the fleeing rebels.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 09:07 PM   #36
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Comic relief.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 09:12 PM   #37
KJbushway
Commodore

How? I am not much a star wars fan, so I might not get the joke.
Old March 26 2011, 09:39 PM   #38
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
the novels Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st partly deal with a transistion away from Kamino-produced clones and increased numbers of mongrel (IE baseline human) officers in the forces. it's also made clear that combat aside, clones have a limited life-expectancy due to the Kaminoans accelerated aging (something like 20 years in 5 calender years) of them to physical maturity.

so, by the time of ANH, nearly all the clones from the Clone Wars are dead either through combat or through aging. thus, the Imperial Army and Navy are instead reliant on either conscripts or volunteers from the human populace. and since they didn't spend the first five years of their lives being drilled in tactics, combat and live-fire exercises, they aren't as good.

Ahh, I see. If that's the case, I think it would be pretty interesting to see a story where a clone tries to reverse his aging process.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2011, 10:50 PM   #39
captcalhoun
Admiral

that was the main background plot to the Republic Commando series and IC: 501st. the commandos' training sergeant, Kal Skirata (a Mando bounty hunter brought in by Jango to aid in training the clones) tries to find out how to extend clone lifetmes.

unfortunately, the author fell out with the publishers and Lucas Licensing over development of the Mandos in the Clone Wars toon and quit. i believe there were other issues involved as well.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 12:52 AM   #40
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
After seeing Attack of the Clones, I made the assumption that the armor offered protection against sonic blasts as well.
In Labyrinth of Evil it didn't seem to help very much.
Old March 27 2011, 01:42 AM   #41
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

KJbushway wrote: View Post
How? I am not much a star wars fan, so I might not get the joke.
Well in this case, I was thinking that viewers might find it funny that heavily armored stormtroopers repeatedly get their heads handed to them in gun battles despite the fact that they usually outnumber and outgun Han, Luke, and the other guys.

Even though I was only seven when The New Hope originally was released, and took it completely seriously THEN, Whenever I see the movies now, more and more often, I see the funny side.

Looking at it that way, the armor serves no purpose at all.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 01:52 AM   #42
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Cleaning them keeps the troopers busy.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 06:28 AM   #43
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

As crappy as the armor is, I'm sure it's better than fighting naked.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2011, 08:20 PM   #44
KJbushway
Commodore

^ true. But you might be a little faster, and if you look funny naked, it might cause the enemy to laugh to death while you escape.
Old March 27 2011, 09:30 PM   #45
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
that was the main background plot to the Republic Commando series and IC: 501st. the commandos' training sergeant, Kal Skirata (a Mando bounty hunter brought in by Jango to aid in training the clones) tries to find out how to extend clone lifetmes.

unfortunately, the author fell out with the publishers and Lucas Licensing over development of the Mandos in the Clone Wars toon and quit. i believe there were other issues involved as well.

I believe it was Karen Traviss throwing a pissy fit because the Clone Wars toon contradicted her fangirl image of Fett & the clones
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote